Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Another possible Oilhead purchase. R1100RS Your thoughts?

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilR807 View Post
    Well here's another data point for your consideration....

In my research, I discovered that many RS ABS owners faced that "oh crap how much is it to fix this ABS?" moment.
    I believe this has more to do with the servo brake system which, if properly maintained from the outset, seems to be quite reliable.

Just to add a data point regarding the ABS on R1100 RS models. I have a 2000 R1100RS, with 89,000 miles. Never had a ABS issue, or rear drive. Bike has had regular maintenance, but nothing more.
    Last edited by walsj1024; 01-27-2021 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I might be wrong so check the spec's but I think the 25% change between 5th and 6th was on the GS and R variants and not on the R1100S or the R1150RT or RS.
    I don't know, but I was told that the lower top geared 6 speed was an optional transmission on the R.

My 2002 RS had the tall 6th gear. I sold it.
    Rinty

My ‘02 RT does of course have the 6 speed and I also find the 6th gear to be a bit frustrating. As others have noted, you really need to be moving above 60 MPH to use it and that speed is absolute minimum. That’s never a problem if I’m traveling on one of our CA highways. The frustration comes in to play when the posted speed limit is between 50-55MPH and you can’t reach that top gear....which my Rider Information Display refers to as “E” for Economy. Seriously BMW? Couldn’t you just refer to it as 6th gear? Everyone will understand that’s OD without having to confuse people with an “E” on the display instead of reading a 6.

I remember how confused I was after riding my RT home after purchasing it. I knew that I was in 6th gear, but I couldn’t understand why the letter E showed up on my display. I thought surely it must have meant there was a malfunction or an “E”rror of some kind. After getting home and reading the manual I then realized it was BMW’s way of just being different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Der Bimmer ist wunderbar."

Tango Alpha
    2002 R1150RT

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tangoalpha View Post
    My ‘02 RT does of course have the 6 speed and I also find the 6th gear to be a bit frustrating. As others have noted, you really need to be moving above 60 MPH to use it and that speed is absolute minimum. That’s never a problem if I’m traveling on one of our CA highways. The frustration comes in to play when the posted speed limit is between 50-55MPH and you can’t reach that top gear....which my Rider Information Display refers to as “E” for Economy. Seriously BMW? Couldn’t you just refer to it as 6th gear? Everyone will understand that’s OD without having to confuse people with an “E” on the display instead of reading a 6.

I remember how confused I was after riding my RT home after purchasing it. I knew that I was in 6th gear, but I couldn’t understand why the letter E showed up on my display. I thought surely it must have meant there was a malfunction or an “E”rror of some kind. After getting home and reading the manual I then realized it was BMW’s way of just being different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I wouldn’t worry or even consider the “E”. I remember when the “E” was controlled by a vacuum/manifold pressure sensor. Talk about goofy hyper- miles.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Yeah, I rode a friend's '02 RT and noticed that. The RID on my '03 RT shows "6" instead of "E", so until I rode the '02 I didn't even know that was a thing.

And why would BMW choose the letter E if the intention is to convey "Economy"? The German word for economy is "Wirtschaft". Eh, I guess the letter "W" is sort of hard to make on a 7-segment LCD digit display.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    I believe this has more to do with the servo brake system which, if properly maintained from the outset, seems to be quite reliable.
    Yes, I agree. I have over 100K on my 04 and no problems, I attribute that to replacing the rubber brake lines with SS.

Anybody have any experience with the Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact?
    I have them on my R1200ST and like them. I've had good luck with Metzelers over the years.
    Rinty