• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2000 R1100R Seats

MildBill

I purchased a 2000 R1100R and do not like the seat. I haven't had any luck finding replacements from the normal sources like Corbin, etc. Any suggestions appreciated!

Until some owners weigh in, try a google site search with this term - "site:forums.bmwmoa.org R1100R Seats" (no quotes). I saw quite a few threads that might make for interesting reading.

Saddle

I've had a Corbin saddle for my Pacific Coast and it was better on day one than a fairly good stock saddle. (And they want you to break it in over 12 hours of riding before taking a trip with it. Of course it arrived the day before I was leaving, so I installed it.) I could do 700 miles in a day without a sore butt. They are firm and good. That said, I bought a 97 RT and hated the stock saddle and just put a Sargent saddle on it. I really haven't had a chance to do a long day test. (Still winter here.) But it feels OK. I just want one that lets me ride 600 miles in a day without butt ache. Everyone else who has had a Sargent generally says they do. While I've ridden a lot of miles including in a single day, I haven't had many aftermarket saddles.

R1100R seat option

I found the cheapest R1100R seat on eBay/Craigslist/wherever I could ($50) and sent it to Russell Cycle Products. $511 plus the cost of shipping them my seat initially and I have a very comfy seat. They recover the seat pan you send them. I found the website a bit confounding to order through, but one phone call to them and I was good to go. I tried a “Skwoosh mid size fluidized gel pad” on the original seat with moderate success for 4-5 day trips totaling 1000-1500 miles. I bought the Russell in anticipation of riding to Great Falls this year. It has proven a vast improvement so far. And much more palatable at about $700 all in. Bonus, the folks at Russell left a good impression with good customer care.
2B7E012A-FC2E-47CD-8F8B-E74031B255C0.jpg
4A57F83B-E813-451A-A14E-B7D15AEE2DDA.jpg

In the 80’s and 90’s, the Corbin was peerless in comfort and quality. I used Corbins on a Ducati 900 and a couple of airheads. My last Corbin, was purchased around 1998. That one had poor workmanship, and was actually less comfortable than the BMW a stock seat.

I switched to Sargent for a Moto Guzzi seat, then another for a BMW. I’ve found that the Sargents, have much higher quality, and
Better comfort.

I ran a new Corbin on my 2000 R1100R and it worked really well. 650 mile days where no problem. Be careful if you buy a used one as they made them based on the original owners inseam length and weight. So some might fit you better than others. It can be a bit of a crap shoot. I know on other BMW bikes, I've bought used Corbins and just couldn't make them work, even tried modifying some of them to know avail.

I had a Russell Day Long saddle custom made for me this last March.
Not Cheap at 775 total but what a seat!
Mine is black leather with small diamonds sewn in, built for my weight and inseam.
Took about 10 hrs to break in.
My wife who can give a rats A$$ about anything moto saw it and commented that it looked very nice!
This was for a 2014 Kawasaki C-14
Nick

I must say that when I went looking for a new saddle for my RT, I was’t sure which direction to go either. Having owned Corbin’s previously I was probably leaning in that direction, but I ended up buying a Sargent in the long run. The Sargent seat is absolutely superb. The only thing I do not have that I regret not getting is the heating element. Next time around I’m taking the plunge and getting a heated seat. No ifs and or butts about it. [emoji6]

As somebody else I believe suggested, you may want to consider buying a cheap saddle on eBay, Craigslist or through our MOA Marketplace and then send it off to Sargent to be remade/recovered. Since you’re really only concerned with the condition of the seat pan, the fabric condition isn’t at all important. They will recover an existing Sargent seat for around $100. That would be a more economical way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back