• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dropping Weight - Not Me! R1200R

pmcmahon

Very broad question but if you wanted to get some weight off of a 2012 R1200R, what would you do?

I realize the R1200R, or any roadster, is going to be the lighter version coming from the factory, but I would like to get it lighter. I have an R80GS/T which is comparing oranges to apples but the weight difference is amazingly apparent.

Of all my miles on BMW’s, most (110k) where spent on a R100RS with Krauser (sp?) saddlebags. One trip I pulled into a truck weigh station and asked if we could get on the scale. Two up completely loaded with camping gear we hit exactly 1,000 pounds. The operator said it was good to +/- 20 pounds. Dry I think those bikes came in right under 500 lbs. my R1200R just seems heavy.

I also noticed how much incredibly heavier the luggage is. I have the stock BMW side bags and top case and I was shocked the first time I hefted one.

The R12 handles great, just would love to get some weight off. Just can’t see how without resorting to a heavily modified cafe type bike which I’m not interested in (for myself - otherwise I think they’re great...to look at!)

I don't know if there are places to get rid of a lot of weight, but depending on your height, a lower seat can make the bike feel much lighter at low speeds. My R1200R came with a low comfort seat, which I replaced with a high comfort seat to allow for more leg room. I have switched them back and forth several times and I am always surprised by how much difference the seat high makes. I'm 5'11'' and I don't have any problems reaching the ground with either seat.

I previously had a standard height R1200GS and was given a R1200R with a lowering package as a loaner. That also made a big difference in perceived weight at low speeds.

A fellow rider and I did this exercise a while back. Without major chopping (or major expense), we thought the you could loose a few pounds with an aftermarket exhaust setup and switching to a lithium ion battery.

Everything else is going to compromise something. Switching the plastic to carbon fiber, loosing the passenger seat and pegs, deleting the reflectors/excess plastic, changing all the bolts/nuts to aluminum or titanium, carbon fiber wheels, deleting bar end weights, fender eliminator, etc.

Back