• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Jet Hot Coating on Exhaust Headers

jbaab

Anyone have any experience with getting your exhaust headers coated by Jet Hot? I have been toying with getting the headers on my 2004 R1150R coated (as well as my Two Brothers y-pipe) since they are an eyesore on my otherwise gorgeous machine. This year I broke down and had them done since the bike gets put up for storage over the winter. It wasn't the cheapest thing ever ($338 for the coating + the expense to ship the parts to them). The company was awesome to work with and a great turnaround.

I noticed when I received the pipes back that the finish was slightly 'orange peeled' as opposed to a smooth, glass-like finish of the original chrome. I messaged them to see if this is the expectation (their site says nothing of this) and they basically said that their coating is not a filler like Chrome is and since they strip the pipes down to bare metal and coat, any imperfections in the metal that the original chrome would have filled will be seen. This makes perfect sense and I have no issue with that.

The issue I do have is they are basically telling me they cannot verify if this is what I should expect or not. I sent them photos and while they are offering to re-do the process for free, they cannot say whether they will come out better or worse and are putting the decision back to me.

Anyone dealt with Jet Hot and specifically having these pipes done? Same results? Different?

I personally have not had it done, but know others that have and seen the results and yours sounds normal.

I would take the response of the company as factual as to what you can expect. To expect something different is wishful thinking.

I have been very satisfied with them

I've had several exhaust systems done by Jet Hot Coatings over the years and have been very satisfied. The job they did with my 2004 GS Adventure has held out very nicely, those headers where done in 2005 and I have had absolutely no issues with the finish or durability.

I'm getting ready to send a set of R 9T headers (Akrapovic stainless) off to them for the sixth job the have done for me.

I've had several exhaust systems done by Jet Hot Coatings over the years and have been very satisfied. The job they did with my 2004 GS Adventure has held out very nicely, those headers where done in 2005 and I have had absolutely no issues with the finish or durability.

I'm getting ready to send a set of R 9T headers (Akrapovic stainless) off to them for the sixth job the have done for me.

Not sure how old or how many miles were on the GS when you had the pipes done, but was was your impression of the finish?

NOTE: I have tried to upload pics of my coated pipes for reference but the upload keeps failing...

Not sure how old or how many miles were on the GS when you had the pipes done, but was was your impression of the finish?

NOTE: I have tried to upload pics of my coated pipes for reference but the upload keeps failing...

If the upload is given you some trouble, try reducing the size of the picture.

Something in the range of 1MB or 1024x768.
OM

Have used several Jet-Hot coatings, most were black. One is satin silver and smooth ( more like sharkskin) and the polished silver like you have looks like that. Have seen a few Hot Rods with exposed polished style headers and they too have that look.

A coating is not going to be exactly like chrome. In my opinion, the headers look fantastic and look as I would expect.

Jet Hot

I've had them done on my high mileage 2004 RT a number of years ago. The original headers were dull and I was constantly battling little spots of rust.

they're not shiny like chrome but they've held up surprisingly well, now with 110k on the bike.

If you're doing to keep the appearance of the headers, it's probably not the right reason. They won't look as good as chrome, but won't rust either.

Your headers look normal

My GS Adventure had about 3,400 miles on it when I had the headers Jet Hot coated. The finished product looked very much like yours and I have used a mild metal polish on them several times and brought them back to look like freshly done. I had a set of Arrow stainless headers for a Triumph Scrambler done in silver a few years ago and they looked just like yours.

Back