• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

frame repair question: what is this, maybe the kickstand?

brant914

Hi everyone,

another question on the 1971 SWB R75/5 project.
when I got this project it had many "custom" previous owner interesting repairs.

the side kickstand is welded to a foot peg

I'm cleaning up the frame at the moment for powder coat
there is a broken bolt, or funny weld on one of the frame mounts
I am guessing it is the factory side kickstand mount.

its really ugly

I've been searching for pictures of how it is Supposed to look when stock
but having trouble finding images of this area and what repair I need to make

I'm guessing its a broken bolt
but also looks like a Previous owner may have taken a welding torch to it?

Here are a few shots. I put a file on it, to verify it was not dirt... you will see the scratch marks in the picture

If anyone has a picture of this frame mount, the way it is supposed to look... it will help me figure out how to repair it
any advice is WELCOMED!

frame.jpgframe2.jpgframe3.jpg

thanks in advance
brant

Here's mine - 1973 LWB. I replaced the stock safety stand with a Brown. But one was on here when I bought it.

BMW frame 1.jpg

BMW frame 2.jpg

BMW frame 3.jpg

Here's photos of the original side stand parts. from what I see, it's probably not worth re-milling a hole through the lug and tapping for the lock screw on the side. Just find a Brown side stand - they're far superior to the stock stand.

BMW side stand 1.jpg

BMW side stand 2.jpg

Concourse restoration?

+2 on Ebeeby's post. The stock side stand is not quite garbage but pretty close, for the most part a /5 with loaded bags and some stuff strapped to the seat will bend or snap the side stand lug just from the weight. Its pretty obvious from your photos that the previous owner first tried to reweld the stud for the side stand and then it just broke off after the first repair. If you want it concourse or back to stock even there will be some grinding, machining, drilling and welding in your future. If you are going use the bike to get out and enjoy a nice vintage ride with some campouts in there you really should find a suitable aftermarket side stand. If you are going to powder coat the frame you also should realize it is very difficult to effectively touch up powder coat so if you keep the stock one make it look nice. If you go the aftermarket route and plan to keep the bike I would get rid of the remnants of the failed stock side stand mount.

Great info

how does a brown's stand attach to the frame?

sounds like a much better option

since folks indicated to "find one"... I'm guessing these might be out of production?
or is there a place still selling them?

thanks guys
brant

I went with the Farley side stand on my R60/5. After reading Snowbums articles on side stands, Farley’s was only a few miles from my house. Robert is a good guy. Went to his shop and purchased my side stand.

Attachments

• 7BDFCF8D-79EF-46E0-8D68-124D5DBD11A4.jpg
    7BDFCF8D-79EF-46E0-8D68-124D5DBD11A4.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 327
I went with the Farley side stand on my R60/5. After reading Snowbums articles on side stands, Farley’s was only a few miles from my house. Robert is a good guy. Went to his shop and purchased my side stand.

I realize this is an older post, but wanted to check anyway. I have been looking for a Farley stand for my R 75/5, but I haven't had any success and I figured he must have retired. If you have any idea where I might get one of these, or could contact Farley I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

Call BMW Motorcycles of Grand Rapids and ask for Brandon. They carry the Farley stand. 616 530-6900.

I can't say as I've heard of retirements...I did some diving in the Airheads archives and didn't see any recent mentions of that. Snowbum has contact info for Robert Vanfarowe about mid way down on this page:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/FarleyBrownSurefoot.htm

Have you tried to contact him?

Thank you for that info. I recall reading that page on Snowbum's website, but it was awhile ago, and I don't recall actually trying to call him. I am in east coast of Canada, so I think I may have started looking for an email address for him, didn't find anything, then got sidetracked and forgot about it. I will try and contact him. I live 60 miles from the Maine border and often get bike parts shipped to a mailbox company there, and I drive over and pick them up, so shipping shouldn't be a problem.... if he still makes the stand. Right now I am using a 2" x 6"x 6" piece of wood to put under the sidestand when I park. I drilled a hole, run a cord through it and I loop it over my mirror when I park so I can pull it up after I get on the bike. A bit archaic, but it works. A quality sidestand would be great to have.

Thanks again for the help, will advise if I am successful in contacting him and getting one ordered.

The stock oem side stand is just barely adequate for a stripped down plain airhead. Add a full fairing, additional lighting, bigger tank with fuel, saddle bags fully loaded, trunk loaded, two up with hitch and trailer, so on and so forth. The cute little side/center stands just finally collapse’s. The funny thing is, the Euro riders load their BMW’s down with even more stuff than we do. You would think that BMW would have notice’d of this and offer’ed a reinforced center and side stand. Oh well. :brow

I can't say as I've heard of retirements...I did some diving in the Airheads archives and didn't see any recent mentions of that. Snowbum has contact info for Robert Vanfarowe about mid way down on this page:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/FarleyBrownSurefoot.htm

Have you tried to contact him?

I did get in touch with him and my new Farley side stand is on the way. I called him and left a message and he called me back in a day or two and advised me he was on holidays, but would send one as soon as he got back home. He called last week and got my address, etc. What a great guy to deal with....I was worried about getting the money to him as I am in Canada, but he told me to just send him a money order in US funds, once I get the side stand. Couldn't have been more accommodating. I am looking forward to getting it and getting it put on....then I can toss the 2 x 6 piece of wood I have been using under my existing stand. Thanks for the contact info for Robert.

similar to my experience
I reached him directly
he was extremely pleasant to work with
the stand came a few days later and was very well made

my bike still had never run (restoration is getting close)
but I've already received compliments on this excellent stand.

brant

I haven't got the actual bill yet, but I think he told me it was $145.00 plus shipping(US funds), so add 30% more to bring the Canadian $ up to par with the US $. That is a very fair price as I believe the Brown is about $170.00 US. Comparison pictures on Snowbum's website show that the Farley is longer, which I think will give better support, and it has some mounting advantages as well.

I got notice yesterday that it has arrived the pick up depot in Houlton, Maine, and I am planning on going to pick it up next week (providing I can figure out the app I had to get on my phone that will allow me back into Canada...a Covid thing). Will give a further update, and maybe a picture when I get it put on.

Back