Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: frame repair question: what is this, maybe the kickstand?

frame repair question: what is this, maybe the kickstand?

Hi everyone,

another question on the 1971 SWB R75/5 project.
    when I got this project it had many "custom" previous owner interesting repairs.

the side kickstand is welded to a foot peg

I'm cleaning up the frame at the moment for powder coat
    there is a broken bolt, or funny weld on one of the frame mounts
    I am guessing it is the factory side kickstand mount.

its really ugly

I've been searching for pictures of how it is Supposed to look when stock
    but having trouble finding images of this area and what repair I need to make

I'm guessing its a broken bolt
    but also looks like a Previous owner may have taken a welding torch to it?

Here are a few shots. I put a file on it, to verify it was not dirt... you will see the scratch marks in the picture

If anyone has a picture of this frame mount, the way it is supposed to look... it will help me figure out how to repair it
    any advice is WELCOMED!

frame.jpgframe2.jpgframe3.jpg

thanks in advance
    brant

Here's mine - 1973 LWB. I replaced the stock safety stand with a Brown. But one was on here when I bought it.

BMW frame 1.jpg

BMW frame 2.jpg

BMW frame 3.jpg
    1973 R75/5

Here's photos of the original side stand parts. from what I see, it's probably not worth re-milling a hole through the lug and tapping for the lock screw on the side. Just find a Brown side stand - they're far superior to the stock stand.

BMW side stand 1.jpg

BMW side stand 2.jpg
    1973 R75/5

Concourse restoration?

+2 on Ebeeby's post. The stock side stand is not quite garbage but pretty close, for the most part a /5 with loaded bags and some stuff strapped to the seat will bend or snap the side stand lug just from the weight. Its pretty obvious from your photos that the previous owner first tried to reweld the stud for the side stand and then it just broke off after the first repair. If you want it concourse or back to stock even there will be some grinding, machining, drilling and welding in your future. If you are going use the bike to get out and enjoy a nice vintage ride with some campouts in there you really should find a suitable aftermarket side stand. If you are going to powder coat the frame you also should realize it is very difficult to effectively touch up powder coat so if you keep the stock one make it look nice. If you go the aftermarket route and plan to keep the bike I would get rid of the remnants of the failed stock side stand mount.

Great info

how does a brown's stand attach to the frame?

sounds like a much better option

since folks indicated to "find one"... I'm guessing these might be out of production?
    or is there a place still selling them?

thanks guys
    brant

Snowbum has a page on aftermarket sidestands:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/FarleyBrownSurefoot.htm

I see where Bench Mark Works lists the Brown Sidestand 46 53 1 241 598.1.

There's been quite a bit of discussion on the Brown stand...use google to do a site search for "brown side stand".
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Doug D
    I went with the Farley side stand on my R60/5. After reading Snowbums articles on side stands, Farley’s was only a few miles from my house. Robert is a good guy. Went to his shop and purchased my side stand.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks just like a Brown except all nice and shiny - is it chrome or zinc plated? Looks great!
    1973 R75/5

Doug D
    I am not sure of platting type. It is not chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by drost View Post
    I went with the Farley side stand on my R60/5. After reading Snowbums articles on side stands, Farley’s was only a few miles from my house. Robert is a good guy. Went to his shop and purchased my side stand.
    I realize this is an older post, but wanted to check anyway. I have been looking for a Farley stand for my R 75/5, but I haven't had any success and I figured he must have retired. If you have any idea where I might get one of these, or could contact Farley I would appreciate it.
    Thanks.

I can't say as I've heard of retirements...I did some diving in the Airheads archives and didn't see any recent mentions of that. Snowbum has contact info for Robert Vanfarowe about mid way down on this page:

Have you tried to contact him?
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Doug D
    Call BMW Motorcycles of Grand Rapids and ask for Brandon. They carry the Farley stand. 616 530-6900.

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I can't say as I've heard of retirements...I did some diving in the Airheads archives and didn't see any recent mentions of that. Snowbum has contact info for Robert Vanfarowe about mid way down on this page:

Thank you for that info. I recall reading that page on Snowbum's website, but it was awhile ago, and I don't recall actually trying to call him. I am in east coast of Canada, so I think I may have started looking for an email address for him, didn't find anything, then got sidetracked and forgot about it. I will try and contact him. I live 60 miles from the Maine border and often get bike parts shipped to a mailbox company there, and I drive over and pick them up, so shipping shouldn't be a problem.... if he still makes the stand. Right now I am using a 2" x 6"x 6" piece of wood to put under the sidestand when I park. I drilled a hole, run a cord through it and I loop it over my mirror when I park so I can pull it up after I get on the bike. A bit archaic, but it works. A quality sidestand would be great to have.

Thanks again for the help, will advise if I am successful in contacting him and getting one ordered.

The stock oem side stand is just barely adequate for a stripped down plain airhead. Add a full fairing, additional lighting, bigger tank with fuel, saddle bags fully loaded, trunk loaded, two up with hitch and trailer, so on and so forth. The cute little side/center stands just finally collapse’s. The funny thing is, the Euro riders load their BMW’s down with even more stuff than we do. You would think that BMW would have notice’d of this and offer’ed a reinforced center and side stand. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post

I did get in touch with him and my new Farley side stand is on the way. I called him and left a message and he called me back in a day or two and advised me he was on holidays, but would send one as soon as he got back home. He called last week and got my address, etc. What a great guy to deal with....I was worried about getting the money to him as I am in Canada, but he told me to just send him a money order in US funds, once I get the side stand. Couldn't have been more accommodating. I am looking forward to getting it and getting it put on....then I can toss the 2 x 6 piece of wood I have been using under my existing stand. Thanks for the contact info for Robert.