• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

TX Rainbow Bridge

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
00EB7733-DAEA-4831-A4E2-BA32ECEB65AE.jpeg

47E7E945-5B96-4ED5-827C-5F3B4E233CB4.jpeg

6F0DD374-E7BC-4E8B-B0D6-6D6AFAA6585C.jpeg

This bridge over the Neches River in SE TX made us pucker in the back seat as dad told us he hoped it went down on the other side. I recall at least six trips before I was a driver. I crossed it several years ago on a bike and had those memories again... and still had that feeling in my gut. I often take riding pics, that time I didn’t even think about it!
It used to be two-way until another bridge was built alongside.

There was another in Freeport,TX that we crossed over the Intracoastal Waterway a lot headed to the beach that had a steep narrow grade. Was glad to see it finally go!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Bridge_(Texas)

Think I would rather swim across :)

No you wouldn't. At that location the chemicals in the water might dissolve your body before you got even close to the other side.

AS far as I know we don't have any superfund sites in a body of water but if we did this would be it.

Thanks for this BUD.....This surely goes on my Texas "BUCKET LIST" for sure. Will be pulling out of Monroe, La. Navy Yard Family Camp after stuffing on the last decent Crawfish before leaving La...........Just another very fine Texas MUST DO.........THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!.........:dance:usa

7B426B34-EF4C-42E3-8B7C-74C01911BCBF.jpeg

Aerial view

The huge gabions blocking original piers,or whatever term is, we’re added during rehab, how many close calls in fog through the years. There were pictures somewhere of that construction

And the Neches may be cleaner than years ago... but I don’t want any part of that water! Huge petro chemical complex!

A drive by

https://youtu.be/061NP3AVTwU

You should try the Astoria, OR bridge across the Columbia River. Very steep on the Oregon side with a long two mile straight run on the Washington side.:dance
All of this bridge is over water.

You should try the Astoria, OR bridge across the Columbia River. Very steep on the Oregon side with a long two mile straight run on the Washington side.:dance
All of this bridge is over water.

H and I did that a few years ago... recall windy too!

Wow! Reminds me of the bridge from Sauté St. Marie ,Canada to Michigan at the end of Lake Superior. That had same climb for 1/4 mi. , and was a steel grate bridge. Was that always paved or was it grated ?

Wow! Reminds me of the bridge from Sauté St. Marie ,Canada to Michigan at the end of Lake Superior. That had same climb for 1/4 mi. , and was a steel grate bridge. Was that always paved or was it grated ?

That one does not bother me because of the high guard rail and fence.
I get the willies on bridges like the Mackinac bridge because the guard rail is only high enough to save the bike but let the rider fly over the edge to the water 150 feet below :)
Here's a pic of the International bridge at Sault Ste Marie. The approach feels steeper the picture shows.

Canada Lock (6).JPG

That one does not bother me because of the high guard rail and fence.
I get the willies on bridges like the Mackinac bridge because the guard rail is only high enough to save the bike but let the rider fly over the edge to the water 150 feet below :)
Here's a pic of the International bridge at Sault Ste Marie. The approach feels steeper the picture shows.

View attachment 81823

Scaring yourself and stepping out of your comfort zone every now and then reminds you of the possibilities and that you are alive. :jawdrop

OM

Two ship channel crossings in Houston

Have crossed in large utility trucks and always felt movement, especially the older 610. Lost a transmission in a 1960 International Texoma Digger truck halfway up in 1981...long night waiting on company wrecker feeling movement sitting still :banghead
The traffic jam I kind of caused was epic! Lot’s of angry honks as I just waved!

FBEB1FE4-2C50-46B6-AD1D-FFCD2BCAB1D2.jpeg

The old loop 610 being rebuilt wider and with less grade.

The construction website

https://www.shipchannelbridge.org/

Last years engineering pause oops

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/ne...unty-to-halt-Ship-Channel-Bridge-14954369.php

The Beltway 8 Hartman bridge, same design for rebuild of 610

4123BD8A-E336-49EF-B21C-C742B19B7E8B.jpeg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hartman_Bridge

Astoria Oregon bridge

The longest continuous bridge in the USA. Four miles long, built 1966, 196' above the water at high tide, it is a long WAY down. Only two lanes wide also.

Last edited:
The longest continuous bridge in the USA. Four miles long, built 1966, 196' above the water at high tide, it is a long WAY down. Only two lanes wide also.

We (my wife and I -- on our tandem) have crossed the Astoria Bridge twice. It's probably my least favorite bicycle/bridge crossing. We've also crossed the Columbia (by tandem) at Stevenson (Bridge of the Gods) and at The Dalles. Neither of those latter bridges was as uncomfortable crossing as the Astoria Bridge.

Would not the sections of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel that are between the tunnels be considered continuous bridges? I believe they are well in excess of 4 miles.

Back