• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Getting the shot

My wife turns 65 in May, so she doesnt qualify on her own for this go around from the county. However, the county allows my "caretaker" to get the shot with me. So, she is covered. Doesn't the VA have the same policy? One would think that with their big programs and push for their several "CARETAKER" programs that the wife for "the shot" would be included. Did you check on this?

If the "Caretaker" is registered as such with the VA they are eligible for "The Shot" at least that is what my VA said on a Telephone Town Hall last week.

If the "Caretaker" is registered as such with the VA they are eligible for "The Shot" at least that is what my VA said on a Telephone Town Hall last week.

Thanks John...........I know they have a "Caretaker" program with lots of benefits but I always thought that was for the guys that had given close to everything and need full time care to even clean up after doing their daily duty. Anyway, seen anything about the hows to register one's "caretaker"......Looking now and sent a secure message to my primary's nurse who is really great at answering questions......lol...probably get more here............THANKS

Marshall, thanks for your thoughts, and of course to all of your modes of what is still gonna be necessary. For me, I am just gonna be glad to be able to "LIVE" and get on down the road for ME to have a life again...........THANKS

in the short term, unfortunately just because you get the vaccine, you can't just resume normal life. still have to social distance. still have to wear masks. you can still carry the virus and spread to others, and the vaccine is not 100%. and nobody around you knows you were vaccinated, so you would be viewed as one of the inconsiderate people who don't care. until we get enough of the population vaccinated, still gonna have to follow the protocols......

but...it is progress to normalcy!
So true!:clap Finally got sign up tomorrow 1:30. Three days of appointment sold out in 20 minutes.:wave:clap Also wife too.

Anyone who cares to is more than welcome to take my place in line, cause I'm not taking the shot/s, PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose all the news outlets have people convinced the shot/s are gonna save their world, I'm not buying into that.

First, covid has mutated how many times in the last year? 2x, 3x times.
Second, people are known to have died after taking the shot.
Third, no one can state with any certainty that the shot [ that was rushed to market ] doesn't have long lasting side affects nor creates more problems while supposedly alleviating us from covid long term.

It's not some magical formula that instantly gives you immunity from the virus, and if it is, that is gonna take at least another few years to be claimed with any authority. Authorities are still investigating several deaths after receiving the vaccine, and several in the US and England have developed Bells Palsy after taking Pfiezers product.

Britain’s medicine regulator, The Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), has said that anyone with a history of anaphylaxis in reaction to a medicine or food, or with a history of significant allergies should not have the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. The advice comes after two reports of anaphylaxis and one report of a possible allergic reaction since the vaccine was rolled out on Dec. 8

A 95% effective vaccine will likely reduce the number of people killed by COVID-19, but that will not be nearly enough to bring death by COVID-19 to a halt. In order to do that, we will likely need a plan of action far beyond what to this point we have been willing to do.

The announcement of the development of 95% effective vaccines is good news, but it is no cause for celebration. Even with a perfect, instantaneous rollout, hundreds of thousands of people would continue to die.

It's a risk/reward equation. If you're an at risk person, one might take it and hope for the best. If you're not an at risk person, I see no reason to take some chemical cocktail that can't guarantee my survival from same. The long term affects on the human body haven't been established [ how could it be ] so with that tid bit of information, there's no way in hell I'm taking their rushed to market products.

Last edited:
I’m getting old :gerg. I think I used to date Anna Phlaxis. Have to check some of the stone carvings :p

OM

Got my first shot this afternoon..........No big deal...nada, nothing, not even a bit of swelling to rub down......I give myself a shot of insulin every night and another kind every Sunday. Then every other Sunday, I get a hit of testosterone and Humera........When I say this was painless, I kinda know what I am talking about.

Being a Polio Pioneer, there was no hesitation when my whole first grade class marched over, stayed in that line, and bravely faced those doctors and nurses who were holding those huge syringes and dagger like needles. We all stood there and got the life giving protection. No lawsuits and no one said ohh the world is gonna come to an end. We had our 50th class reunion a few years ago. There are a few of us left that were at that same school for all 12 years. NOBODY there, of all the calamaties possible, had gotten polio. :whistle:whistle

Then much later in another line, my whole platoon,to be, gathered together at the reception center in Ft. Leonard Wood. We saw this guy in white at the head of the line with what looked like a compressed air spray gun and then another and another and another.....owwwwww that hurt. This can go on and on I suppose. Not worried about what some individual says or cares about what he considers about taking or not taking "the shot". I have a life to live just like him.............who cares:scratch:scratch
Had this same discussion with my housekeeper the other day.:blah No, not gonna grow a third eye, nor loose a testicle. All it boiled down to was that Billy Bob got hit by a car while crossing a street:violin.....She can not cross that street the rest of her life; but I am gonna take all the precautions and then soon find myself on the other side.....lol....I dont care actually what she thinks. It's my life and she has hers.

So, made reservations with the nurse at the desk while waiting 15 minutes for any adverse reaction. The reservation was for 30 days from now plus or minus 5 days to get my 2nd follow along shot. whooopeeeee :dance :whistle

Just another time to marvel at how good GOD IS...............

Anyone who cares to is more than welcome to take my place in line, cause I'm not taking the shot/s, PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose all the news outlets have people convinced the shot/s are gonna save their world, I'm not buying into that.

First, covid has mutated how many times in the last year? 2x, 3x times.
Second, people are known to have died after taking the shot.
Third, no one can state with any certainty that the shot [ that was rushed to market ] doesn't have long lasting side affects nor creates more problems while supposedly alleviating us from covid long term.

It's not some magical formula that instantly gives you immunity from the virus, and if it is, that is gonna take at least another few years to be claimed with any authority. Authorities are still investigating several deaths after receiving the vaccine, and several in the US and England have developed Bells Palsy after taking Pfiezers product.

Britain’s medicine regulator, The Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), has said that anyone with a history of anaphylaxis in reaction to a medicine or food, or with a history of significant allergies should not have the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. The advice comes after two reports of anaphylaxis and one report of a possible allergic reaction since the vaccine was rolled out on Dec. 8

A 95% effective vaccine will likely reduce the number of people killed by COVID-19, but that will not be nearly enough to bring death by COVID-19 to a halt. In order to do that, we will likely need a plan of action far beyond what to this point we have been willing to do.

The announcement of the development of 95% effective vaccines is good news, but it is no cause for celebration. Even with a perfect, instantaneous rollout, hundreds of thousands of people would continue to die.

It's a risk/reward equation. If you're an at risk person, one might take it and hope for the best. If you're not an at risk person, I see no reason to take some chemical cocktail that can't guarantee my survival from same. The long term affects on the human body haven't been established [ how could it be ] so with that tid bit of information, there's no way in hell I'm taking their rushed to market products.

Two doses of polio vaccine was considered 90% effective, 66 years ago. I'm glad my parents thought that was adequate enough.

Happy you are just as adequately steadfast in your commitment. Good for you.

So much better each day of my recovery from Covid19 and received my first vaccine today, with the booster scheduled for 3/3. Moderna available here, because of our remoteness, to all over 65, through several sources including the hospital and pharmacies. A friend called yesterday and made an appointment for his wife on 2/11. No problem and no waiting to set it up. Our state is 49th in the order of receiving the vaccine because of some outdated info that our demographics indicate our population is one of the youngest. That was before the translocation of the overflow of out of state retirees over the last fifteen or so years.

We got called and scheduled shots in Pecos (150 miles away) for the 10th. Then this morning we got a call and we scheduled for Marfa (75 miles away) on the 9th. Then we got a call this afternoon and we are now scheduled for tomorrow, the 3rd, in Alpine (53 miles away). We cancelled the 9th and 10th. To get it any closer than Alpine they would need to do house calls. :)

Last edited:

Glad I have my COUNTY to fall back on. I got hold of the spokesperson for the Tennessee Valley VA and got the following in a secure message:

This Va Clinic has to have the vaccine brought to the clinic the day it is being administered to the Veterans . We are giving veterans age 75 and above . We are looking at health risks and trying to get veterans scheduled now . We can only do so many when we have a clinic day for this . Right know we have one day set up and that is 02/03/2021 . It is for age 75 and above . We are only giving the veterans no spouses at this time.

Seems there is no standard of care for the VA........

Shot

To quote that annoying little redhead Annie “ tomorrow tomorrow “ 2nd prick March 3rd
Getting shot at Walgreens probably stuff leftover from the 35% or 37% of nursing home workers who refused vaccination, my wife and I thank you dumbasses!

Finally many thanks to my wife who got us scheduled and friends who pointed us in the right direction.

As more of us starting getting the jab (the UK term), there are a couple of things which might be helpful to know.

It does seem that the second jab usually produces more side effects that the first one. My NP daughter in Oregon says that's because the first jab gets your body to begin developing immunity, and the second builds on the level of immunity the first one started. She said that Pfizer jabs tend to have fewer side-effects than Moderna jabs. It also seems that the greatest level of immunity occurs beginning about 10 days after the second inoculation. That said, it's still possible to be a carrier, so mask wear continues to be important.

The CDC has a system for monitoring side effects called V-Safe for which you have to register. I got jab #1 this past Friday, and every day about 4PM I get a request from V-Safe to tell what my side effects are, if any. Here's the URL for V-Safe: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/vsafe.html

Wow, what a reaction to the Moderna! All good for the first twelve hours, then my shoulder started to ache like any other vaccine. I went to sleep and woke up two hours later to get up and use the bathroom. When I got up I was shiveing violently. I stumbled into the bathroom violently shivering the whole time. I attempted to pick up a cup for a drink but was shaking so bad, the cup flew out of my hand. I stumbled back to bed and laid ther shaking. I put my hand on my chest and I was burning up. I've had hypothermia bunches of times but have never shaken like that. This morning the fever has subsided, more aches and pains and not much appetite.

The nurse that shot me said because I have had Covid19, that my reaction may be more significant. Of course she said but that's agood thing showing that the vaccine and antibodies are working. She also said that the booster will probably cause more of a reaction. Hope I can ride it out.

Good luck to all as you're getting lined up for vaccine.

Shots are voluntarily at Fort Rucker Alabama currently for DAC/MIL. I’m holding off on mine for the moment until the military pulls its head out in the execution phase. Also... “leaders eat last.” No stabbing anyone in the back as I muscle my way to the front of the line to, “get mine first.” It’s how I roll.

I miss that about the Corps. Privates ate first, paid first, etc. Then NCOs, Staff NCOs and up. The concept of servant leadership is foreign to the corporate world.

I’m a believer in leadership by example. :thumb:thumb
OM

Here in Texas the state legislators and state senators, regardless of age or any other criteria except that they are special, jumped the line to be vaccinated. They have illustrated once again the quality of their character.

Wow, what a reaction to the Moderna! All good for the first twelve hours, then my shoulder started to ache like any other vaccine. I went to sleep and woke up two hours later to get up and use the bathroom. When I got up I was shiveing violently. I stumbled into the bathroom violently shivering the whole time. I attempted to pick up a cup for a drink but was shaking so bad, the cup flew out of my hand. I stumbled back to bed and laid ther shaking. I put my hand on my chest and I was burning up. I've had hypothermia bunches of times but have never shaken like that. This morning the fever has subsided, more aches and pains and not much appetite.

The nurse that shot me said because I have had Covid19, that my reaction may be more significant. Of course she said but that's agood thing showing that the vaccine and antibodies are working. She also said that the booster will probably cause more of a reaction. Hope I can ride it out.

Good luck to all as you're getting lined up for vaccine.

I have noticed the same thing among my many friends: those who already contracted COVID seemed to have stronger reactions to the vaccine.

I got vaccine #1 (Moderna) through the VA last week. My wife got vaccine #1 (also Moderna) through the US Army clinic at Fort Leavenworth this week. Neither of us had any more than a sore arm, about like we experience with a flu shot each fall.

Back