• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fishing and Motorcycling

mika

Still Wondering
I do not fish but am interested in taking it up in a small way. Several trips I want to take upon my return to riding this season will take me to far northern Mn. I would like to try my hand at some shoreline fishing when I am camping.
I know that there are fisherman among you from past posts and articles in ON.

What would you suggest for a basic motorcycle fishing kit?
How do you carry the gear on your bike?

get a pack rod, either telescopic or take apart. Mine has four sections, and I store it in a length of pvc pipe with the caps taped on.

fishing-another option

M1ka- another option would be to bike up to Cass Lake, Mn and visit me; I fish every day in the summer; contact me if you need info/directions.....wj

lawman said:
M1ka- another option would be to bike up to Cass Lake, Mn and visit me; I fish every day in the summer; contact me if you need info/directions.....wj
M1ka-I fish a lot, and can assure you that you'll learn more by spending a day with a good fisherman than you will reading and studying for months. You really need to decide what you want to fish for, and whether you want to be a more active (casting & retrieving) or passive (bait suspended below a bobber) fisherman. Personally I like to fish with a fly rod, but that can become a passion that rivals motorcycling or anything else in your life. No matter what you choose, the learning never ends! Have fun.

Looking at fishing from a professional viewpoint it pays to hire a guide and go out with him. Even though it may be a bit of $$, it is easier to find out if you like fishing or not. Most guides can recommend some equipment that works well for what you like to do. IMHO a three or four piece spinning rod with reel is your best bet, especially for bike travel. The conventional reels you see the bass fishermen use aren't for a beginner. DAMHIK, I used to carry a few on my boat and after untangling the lines ( cutting it all off :banghead), I decided that spinning gear was the easiest for all involved including me :D .

I pack my GS most every weekend to flyfish the extraordinary catskill mountains. I usually have 4 pc. rod in an aluminum case strapped down to the luggage rack with mini shock cords together with my wading staff. (I fall a lot , fishing is a contact sport to me).. Fishing vest, waders and boots packed in the side cases.. My Reel is in a case and a spare is packed in my tankbag. Take plastic Garbage bags so you can put anything wet in them for the ride home and plenty of water. Keep your lines tight

snoone said:
I pack my GS most every weekend to flyfish the extraordinary catskill mountains.

Ooooh. I'm jealous ... jealous ... jealous ... Did pack up the bike and head to Grayling, MI for some fine fall fishing this past year. And I've packed a fly rod on a mountain bike and pedaled parts of Colorado fishing while I went. The trick, of course, is to get a 4 or 5 piece rod that breaks down small enough that it doesn't make your bike 4' wide.

dancogan said:
Ooooh. I'm jealous ... jealous ... jealous ... Did pack up the bike and head to Grayling, MI for some fine fall fishing this past year. And I've packed a fly rod on a mountain bike and pedaled parts of Colorado fishing while I went. The trick, of course, is to get a 4 or 5 piece rod that breaks down small enough that it doesn't make your bike 4' wide.

My Four piece rod and tube is not even close to the width of the GS with the side bags attached.

There's always the Popeil Pocket Fisherman. (Formerly Ronco Pocket Fisherman)
pocketfisherman-tran-sdow.gif

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/pocketfisherman.htm?gid=

dancogan said:
You really need to decide what you want to fish for,
For fun. I am not certain what to say beyond that.

dancogan said:
and whether you want to be a more active (casting & retrieving) or passive (bait suspended below a bobber) fisherman. Personally I like to fish with a fly rod, but that can become a passion that rivals motorcycling or anything else in your life. No matter what you choose, the learning never ends! Have fun.

I have my doubts about fly fishing and my skills. I have a friend that has promised to expose me to that.

I was thinking more along the lines of casting and retrieving. Again I am not certain I expect to catch anything or get very involved but with that said it has seemed like something that could be fun when camping.

Burnszilla, thanks for the Pocket Fisherman link. :D I remember seeing him hawk them at a boat show years ago.

Back