Thread: Fishing and Motorcycling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fishing and Motorcycling

I do not fish but am interested in taking it up in a small way. Several trips I want to take upon my return to riding this season will take me to far northern Mn. I would like to try my hand at some shoreline fishing when I am camping.
    I know that there are fisherman among you from past posts and articles in ON.

What would you suggest for a basic motorcycle fishing kit?
    How do you carry the gear on your bike?

I have a cheap telescopic rod that I bought at Big 5 Sports for $14 and it fits in my side case.
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com GS911 WIFI BMW Motorcycle Diagnostic Tool

get a pack rod, either telescopic or take apart. Mine has four sections, and I store it in a length of pvc pipe with the caps taped on.

Rally Rat

fishing-another option

M1ka- another option would be to bike up to Cass Lake, Mn and visit me; I fish every day in the summer; contact me if you need info/directions.....wj

Quote Originally Posted by lawman
    M1ka- another option would be to bike up to Cass Lake, Mn and visit me; I fish every day in the summer; contact me if you need info/directions.....wj
    M1ka-I fish a lot, and can assure you that you'll learn more by spending a day with a good fisherman than you will reading and studying for months. You really need to decide what you want to fish for, and whether you want to be a more active (casting & retrieving) or passive (bait suspended below a bobber) fisherman. Personally I like to fish with a fly rod, but that can become a passion that rivals motorcycling or anything else in your life. No matter what you choose, the learning never ends! Have fun.
    Dan

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

Looking at fishing from a professional viewpoint it pays to hire a guide and go out with him. Even though it may be a bit of $$, it is easier to find out if you like fishing or not. Most guides can recommend some equipment that works well for what you like to do. IMHO a three or four piece spinning rod with reel is your best bet, especially for bike travel. The conventional reels you see the bass fishermen use aren't for a beginner. DAMHIK, I used to carry a few on my boat and after untangling the lines ( cutting it all off ), I decided that spinning gear was the easiest for all involved including me .

SNOONE
    I pack my GS most every weekend to flyfish the extraordinary catskill mountains. I usually have 4 pc. rod in an aluminum case strapped down to the luggage rack with mini shock cords together with my wading staff. (I fall a lot , fishing is a contact sport to me).. Fishing vest, waders and boots packed in the side cases.. My Reel is in a case and a spare is packed in my tankbag. Take plastic Garbage bags so you can put anything wet in them for the ride home and plenty of water. Keep your lines tight

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan
    You really need to decide what you want to fish for,
    For fun. I am not certain what to say beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan
    and whether you want to be a more active (casting & retrieving) or passive (bait suspended below a bobber) fisherman. Personally I like to fish with a fly rod, but that can become a passion that rivals motorcycling or anything else in your life. No matter what you choose, the learning never ends! Have fun.
    I have my doubts about fly fishing and my skills. I have a friend that has promised to expose me to that.

I was thinking more along the lines of casting and retrieving. Again I am not certain I expect to catch anything or get very involved but with that said it has seemed like something that could be fun when camping.

Burnszilla, thanks for the Pocket Fisherman link. I remember seeing him hawk them at a boat show years ago.