• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100 RS tire question

walsj1024

I have a year 2000 BMW R1100RS, that has the 160/60-18 rear tire. I have been using Michelin Pilot Road tires for the past few years, PR3 and 4.This year, the local shop that I get tires from, a BMW store, said that Michelin is probably not making the 160/60-18 size in the Pilot road.

So, my question is, does anyone know, definitively, if Michelin has discontinued the 160/60-18 size?

If that is correct, any recommendations for a brand that does make a sport touring tire in that size?

Thanks, I’ll see if they ship to the US.

Let us know when you find out.

About a year ago, I contacted Michelin, when I couldn’t locate a PR3 at any US tire distributor. During the call, they insisted that they were still producing the PR3 rear tire for the RT and RS. But, in all the time since, I have not found any tire distributor that is carrying the PR3. So the effect is the same.

There are about six other tires that are available in the 160/60-18 size. I’ve been trying the Pirelli Angel GT, but might switch to one of the others this spring.

M,

I have gotten conflicting info from my local shop. A few months ago, one of their staff insisted that they are no longer available in that 160/60-18 size. Yesterday, I talked to a different staffer, who said they just sold a few of that size PR 3, last week. He is going to see if he can find one for me.

Last edited:
This link shows that Michelin still makes the PR3 in the 160/60-18 size.

That does not mean that every vendor has one in stock. But it does mean they can get one.

So the question needs to be, "Do you have or can you get this tire? What will it cost and how long will it take?"

Agree with Paul, but good luck finding a deal/discount. I'm thinking the vendors know that this is a rare cat, and they can get full retail. Others have reported satisfaction with Avons in this size. If the price difference is significant, I will try the Avons at my next change.

So, spoke to another BMW dealer, who is listed as a Michelin dealer. Their guy looked it up, and said the same thing. 160/60-18 pilot roads are no longer available. At this point, I’m just moving on to Pirelli angels, or the Avon Storm or Sprint.

Agree with Paul, but good luck finding a deal/discount. I'm thinking the vendors know that this is a rare cat, and they can get full retail. Others have reported satisfaction with Avons in this size. If the price difference is significant, I will try the Avons at my next change.

So, spoke to another BMW dealer, who is listed as a Michelin dealer. Their guy looked it up, and said the same thing. 160/60-18 pilot roads are no longer available. At this point, I’m just moving on to Pirelli angels, or the Avon Storm or Sprint.

These guys are looking in the catalog of their normal distributor: Tucker Rocky or some other. And they don't seem willig to get the rider what the rider wants.

This was a problem with this oddball size as far back as the early 2000's which is why I installed a 17 inch rim on Voni's R1100RS for the '03 Iron Butt Rally.

I have been running the Pirelli Angel GT a while now and like them. Currently, they are in stock on Amazon.

I get the "A Spec" front tire and usually burn two rears to one front. I never completely wear out a tire because it seems that whenever I plan a big trip (Approx 4,000 miles) I end up putting on a new tire(s) even though the existing tire(s) might make the trip. I do no want to get stuck anywhere waiting on a tire, because I can guarantee that there are very few 18" tires out there while traveling.

On my 2000 R1100RS I'm running the Bridgestone Battlax T30 EVO (now supplanted by T31). I have a couple thousand miles on them, and they ride and stick well. No experience in rain yet. They are dual compound rear tires. Available in the right sizes (at least the T30 was...)

I will say the T30 was the stiffest tire I have ever mounted. My vocabulary got a workout.

This was a problem with this oddball size as far back as the early 2000's which is why I installed a 17 inch rim on Voni's R1100RS for the '03 Iron Butt Rally.

And what was downside if any? Did you swap back and forth any?

Me and D-Yoda are still wondering why not run a 17” like it’s sibling 1150

And what was downside if any? Did you swap back and forth any?

Me and D-Yoda are still wondering why not run a 17” like it’s sibling 1150

Yes, I swapped back and forth. I noticed no difference in handling. The 17" made the speedometer just a little bit more accurate. I don't mind the 18" when doing mostly local riding because I can always get an 18" tire if I can wait several days. But when traveling I mount the 17" wheel because 17" tires are easy to find at most motorcycle shops.

Paul,

I have a 2000 R1100Rs, with the 18” rear wheel.

Is it a simple, bolt on proposition, to install a later 17” rear wheel on my bike, or is there more involved?
Thanks

John

Yes, I swapped back and forth. I noticed no difference in handling. The 17" made the speedometer just a little bit more accurate. I don't mind the 18" when doing mostly local riding because I can always get an 18" tire if I can wait several days. But when traveling I mount the 17" wheel because 17" tires are easy to find at most motorcycle shops.

Paul,

I have a 2000 R1100Rs, with the 18” rear wheel.

Is it a simple, bolt on proposition, to install a later 17” rear wheel on my bike, or is there more involved?
Thanks

John

I used a 17" rear wheel from a K1200RS. That has the brake disk attached to the final drive and the 4 hole bolt pattern the same as Voni's '94 R1100RS.

I just looked this wheel up and it was used on the K1200RS and K1200LT from 1996 to 2008.

When I got the wheel many dealers had them "out back" so to speak because K1200 buyers were installing the hot-deal optional 5.5 inch wide wheel instead of the 5 inch stock wheel.

There is a 5mm difference in bolt length so you need to get four of the correct bolt too.

Paul,

Thanks, sounds pretty straight forward.

Does it change the way the bike accelerates, due to the smaller diameter wheel?

Paul,

Thanks, sounds pretty straight forward.

Does it change the way the bike accelerates, due to the smaller diameter wheel?

Not that anybody would notice. By the time the difference in tire profile is taken into account the difference in tire circumference is minimal.

Back