• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Covid entertainment

We're all just about fed up with the Covid situation and my common sense tells me to just stay inside and be patient. Fortunately, something will come along to lift my spirits.
Back in Nov, 2020 I received a response for a $90 part that was advertised in the MOA Marketplace. We emailed back and forth and came to a price of $90 delivered. That was on Nov. 18.
On the 19th he asked for my address to send a cashier's check, which I gave him. On the 20th he forwarded the info to his secretary for processing. On the 21st he informed me that the secretary is new and she made out the check for $1900! Starting to smell anything?
On the 23rd he notified me that the check should arrive the next day and he offers me an extra $20 for the inconvenience! How thoughtful. On the 27th he informs me that I should receive the check "at any moment"!
Please keep following the time line because it gets better.
On the 28th he emails me that I should get back to him immediately! It is Urgent.
On the 5th of Dec. I"m told that the check is in transit via Fedex.
On the 8th, I'm told that the check should arrive today.
On the 10th he sends me another "urgent response needed" message with a tracking number. Then another email that says that Fedex has delivered the check and I should immediately deposit it to my account! Well, I did get the check on the 10th. It was dated the 9th and came to me from a real estate title company in Michigan.
On the 14th, He asks if I deposited the check yet. I told him that I needed an address to send the part and the refund to so that I could do it all in one trip. I advised him that I was on a fixed income and wanted to do it all in one trip to save gasoline.
On the 15th I finally receive an address to send the stuff to. It's an address in Lubbock with an apartment number so I google earth to find that it is actually an open lot with a mobile home in the back!
Now I should mention the time line again as well as the two phone numbers that he has been using. One in Las Cruces, NM and one in Hewlett Bay Park in NY.
I should also mention that the check is issued from a San Francisco bank and from a trust account supposedly through a law firm in Florida and dated 12/09/2020. Are you keeping up with the dates?
Well, I'm thinking about just letting him off the hook by now. I've called local police across the country but since I haven't actually cashed the check, a crime has yet to be committed.
So now I'm trying to drag this out for a bit and send him an email saying that the check hasn't been processed completely and I wouldn't be doing just diligence if I didn't mention that the Lubbock address was a lot with a mobile home in the background. No units or apartments to be seen!
Now it's after Christmas and I get a new address from him that is in a different state. It actually is googled out as an apartment.
Things quieted down around New Years but I got another email last week wanting to know where the part and check were. He was insisting that I send the package at once via Fedex and send him the tracking number. On Saturday I informed him that I had given it to my wife to send on Friday. Yesterday he wanted the tracking number from Fedex. I told him that my wife had it. She was on the road to Montana last night to go take care of her relatives who had contracted Covid 19. They live in a cabin that is off the grid and she never has her phone on when driving because it can distract her.
I can't wait to see what happens next.

I view this as tap-dancing in a minefield.
Way back when, when there were door to door salesmen, after a successful “score”, a salesman would leave an indicator for the next salesman that this was a place to make a sale.
Hope it works out for you.
OM

Good Luck, and be careful. The guy has your email address, which could be problematic in itself. It's good that you've notified authorities, but I've got to believe that a scam like this wouldn't be real high on their priority list. I may be wrong.

Aahhh, memories of P-P-P-PowerBook, a tale from around 20yrs ago of a scammer who got scammed by paying customs charges to receive a fake laptop made from an old three-ring binder. Unfortunately, the original story has disappeared from the interwebs, but it was indeed entertaining and a case of non-violent “frontier justice”.

If the OP thought ahead and used a throwaway email addy on Gurgle or Yahoo then he could enjoy playing the fish until it lands or spits the line.
:)

Best,
DeVern

I would deposit the check, then sit back and wait. when he emails wondering what is going on, use all of his excusses back at him.

Also, check US banking law. I believe you bank has 30 days to dispute the check from the time you deposit it. Just because you have funds in your account doesn't mean your bank can not pull them back out. I believe after 30 days the money is yours.

Certainly this stinks to high heaven of the scam, I will buy your item, send a check way over the amount and expect you to send back the difference and the check bounces.

I had a guy that wanted to buy a boat I had for sale for $3,500. Strangely enough the boat I had was "exactly what he was looking for!" The deal was he would send me a check for $10,000 to cover the price of the boat and shipping from the USA to...get this, England! So I would ship off the boat, pay the shipper and send him back the difference of the costs and check amount. I told him it was a done deal, and as soon as the check clears in thirty days I will ship out the boat and refund the difference. For some reason the check never showed and he stopped emailing!:dunno Maybe he figured I was scamming him!:laugh

I'm surprised that a Nigerian prince hasn't come up in your conversations with the buyer.

Here the latest Nigerian message I’ve received...

Google Forms
Welcome to DHL COURIER DELIVERY COMPANY, BENIN REPUBLIC.

We are here to inform you as well as contact you with regards to your Consignment Box worth $7.5 Million United States Dollars deposited with our company.This Box was registered here by Mrs Angela Hamester Akoto, The Public Relations Officer from United Nations Organization, United States Chapter.

The label on it is "2020 Fund Release Programme". Your consignment box has been officially encrypted by the United Nations Organization with an Access code for automated security. The security details are contained below.

Consignment Encrypted Password: 528071
Registration code: UN2019DC007

Kindly note the above stated security details for full access to your consignment box.But if you wish to receiver your funds thourgh another options like BANK to BANK transfer we can proceed on that Or you want it via ATM VISA CARD we can deliver it that way by DHL so make your choice Hence, you are to confirm to us your current delivery address and your current contact Phone number for immediate delivery of your CONSIGNMENT BOX to your doorstep.

Once you confirm your delivery address and contact to us, our delivery agent will depart immediately with your consignment box to your delivery address within 72 hours.

Thanks For your patronage
Dhl Courier Service:
TELEPHONE +229-90326682
E-MAIL(dhl.courier2014@yandex.com)
Untitled form
FILL OUT FORM
Create your own Google Form

Google Forms

We are here to inform you as well as contact you with regards to your Consignment Box worth $7.5 Million United States Dollars deposited with our company.

Email them back saying, "Thanks but I don't need the money." That's my usual response when these "opportunities" are presented to me. If the offer is via telephone it usually leaves them speechless.

Email them back saying, "Thanks but I don't need the money." That's my usual response when these "opportunities" are presented to me. If the offer is via telephone it usually leaves them speechless.

I'm about to run out of imaginative scenarios to keep this person excited about getting the big check. This morning he contacted me in a tither about who the check was made out to and why I didn't provide a tracking number from Fedex.
He has since accused me of fraud and threatens to report MY scam to the FBI! More breaking news as it occurs.

I like the way your are stringing this guy along. Maybe you could tell him you have sent a check, but tell him you accidentally sent it to an address with a similar street number. Maybe he will spend time checking neighbor's mail boxes. :)

I like the way your are stringing this guy along. Maybe you could tell him you have sent a check, but tell him you accidentally sent it to an address with a similar street number. Maybe he will spend time checking neighbor's mail boxes. :)

Potentially sending a scammer to a neighbor’s mail box :eek
OM

Google Forms

We are here to inform you as well as contact you with regards to your Consignment Box worth $7.5 Million United States Dollars deposited with our company.This Box was registered here by Mrs Angela Hamester Akoto, The Public Relations Officer from United Nations Organization, United States Chapter.

The label on it is "2020 Fund Release Programme". Your consignment box has been officially encrypted by the United Nations Organization with an Access code for automated security. The security details are contained below.

Consignment Encrypted Password: 528071
Registration code: UN2019DC007

Kindly note the above stated security details for full access to your consignment box.But if you wish to receiver your funds thourgh another options like BANK to BANK transfer we can proceed on that Or you want it via ATM VISA CARD we can deliver it that way by DHL so make your choice Hence, you are to confirm to us your current delivery address and your current contact Phone number for immediate delivery of your CONSIGNMENT BOX to your doorstep.

Once you confirm your delivery address and contact to us, our delivery agent will depart immediately with your consignment box to your delivery address within 72 hours.

Thanks For your patronage
Dhl Courier Service:
TELEPHONE +229-90326682
E-MAIL(dhl.courier2014@yandex.com)
Untitled form
FILL OUT FORM
Create your own Google Form

You dummy. You just gave me your password. I’m rich, I’m rich!!

Doug

I'm trying to string this out as long as I can but please note that he has threatened to inform the FBI and turn me in as a scammer. Bring it on!

I'm trying to string this out as long as I can but please note that he has threatened to inform the FBI and turn me in as a scammer. Bring it on!

I suspect that the FBI is way too busy right now to worry about you scamming some Nigerian guy.

Hmmm. OM you may have a point. I was hoping the scammer would end up on a wild goose chase. Maybe that was not a great idea. :)

Hmmm. OM you may have a point. I was hoping the scammer would end up on a wild goose chase. Maybe that was not a great idea. :)

Well, he's been chasing my goose since mid-November and I still think that he expects to get the money! The check's in the mail! I just love saying that.

He has acknowleged receipt of the check but says that the bank won't accept it' Will be sending me more bank information to act on! My guess is that he isn't in the location that the check was sent.
I can't understand why the bank won't take the check! After all, I crafted it out of a blank piece of paper and spent considerable time creating a fancy, frilly border with a fresh Sharpie. The fund that it was drawn on was the entertainment fund for the "Ray Charles Umpire Academy" The bank was the Sixth National Bank of The Here and Now in Utopia, CA.
So I guess that my challenge is to see if I can string this out until at least Easter....

Latest update. He has given me a Wells Fargo routing number and account number for me to advance the money to. It is in Minneapolis. I've been dodging the transfer because my wife is in Montana tending sick Covid-19 relatives in an off the grid cabin deep in the mountains.
I told him that since my wife has the car, then I have no transportation and although I really tried to have a friend take me to the bank on Saturday, it didn't work out because the bank was closed. I couldn't go on Monday because it was MLK day and during the rest of the week, my friend is working.
It has now been two months since his first contact and I can't believe that he's so stupid as to keep up with this deal!
More excuses as they develop.

I would deposit the check, the sit on it for a while, make up some more excuses and see if the check clears, it won't.

Back