• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

aluminum early turn signals, and where can I replace or repair my reflectors

brant914

Hi Everyone
its been a while.
but I'm working on the project 1971 R75 again this winter (finally)

I need a tutorial
3 of the turn signals on this bike were damaged when I got it

so now I'm trying to do repairs...

the early aluminum housings take a metal reflector
(I found one of mine to have an updated reflector inside that did not fit, Previous owner cut the lense to get things to screw together)

I found out from Bob's, and Max, that these and NLA
does anyone know where I can buy used reflectors?
or even repair mine?

here is a pic of one of mine with a broken stud

questions:
- did both the front signals and the rear signals have the side reflectors in 1971?
-where can I buy replacement reflectors inside the housing?
-what year did BMW switch to the plastic reflector inside, so I can limit my search to the correct years of parts?

thank you all in advance
and Kurt I checked your resource list first and will need to start working through it

brant

housing.jpg

1971 was the last year for reflectors on the turn signal. Amber on front, red at rear. Try Hucky’s for your reflectors. Check out his new and used parts. You may want to email him for your parts. He may not have all parts listed. The turn signals with side reflectors are very hard to find. It took me a couple of years to find a couple of spares.

Thank you!

I'll make some calls and send some emails today
and now I know... I need to add red rear side reflectors to my shopping (scavenger) list

brant

These and other used parts places listed in the reference thread in my sig line.

another question

I took this picture from the internet... its for sale somewhere

identified as a 1973

I see it has the red rear turn signal side reflectors and yellow front
but the larger red round side reflectors on the tag-back.... and the large yellow ones on the front....

I don't have these front or rear
were they also "correct" for a 1971 year?

thanks everyone
I'm nearly to assembly on this project and have no idea what its supposed to include..
a lot I'm missing I fear
Thumb.jpg

Brant

another question

I took this picture from the internet... its for sale somewhere

identified as a 1973

I see it has the red rear turn signal side reflectors and yellow front
but the larger red round side reflectors on the tag-back.... and the large yellow ones on the front....

I don't have these front or rear
were they also "correct" for a 1971 year?

thanks everyone
I'm nearly to assembly on this project and have no idea what its supposed to include..
a lot I'm missing I fear
View attachment 81756

Brant

That is likely a real 1973 /5. It has the long wheel base which makes it a very late '72 or more likely a '73 (clue is the slope angle of the back the seat). The large reflectors mounted to the rear license plate bracket and front head light ears were only used on '72 and '73 models. The small reflectors mounted to the turn signal housings were for the 1970 and 1971 models only. I'm guessing someone needed turn signal housings for this bike and the pre-1972 versions were what they could find.

Thank you!!

I was guessing it was a mix-match of parts
I went and looked at the front headlight mounting wings from my forks, and headlight mount...
no holes for reflectors

this is good in my mind
a few more parts I don't have to find/buy

thank you for the education everyone!

Thank you!!

I was guessing it was a mix-match of parts
I went and looked at the front headlight mounting wings from my forks, and headlight mount...
no holes for reflectors

this is good in my mind
a few more parts I don't have to find/buy

thank you for the education everyone!

I have a story about those large rear red reflectors on the '72 and later bikes. In 1973 or '74 I attended the BMW service school at the Butler & Smith offices in Compton, California (it wasn't so bad then, we only had one window broken out of our car overnight in the hotel parking lot).

I was a young kid in total awe of both the bikes and the God-like German instructor, Hemut Kern. 100% German BMW factory guy who spoke good English but with a pronounced German accent, and towered over me by a couple of inches (and I'm 5'11"+). I was dying to find something to talk with him about to just to make conversation and get some kind of acknowledgement. So, during a mid-afternoon break we all were walking somewhere and I was next to him. I started telling him how our shop was seeing a lot of those big rear reflectors falling off because the thin aluminum backing around the mounting stud was cracking due to fender vibration. And then I asked if there was any word on a design change or upgrade? At that point he stops dead from a brisk pace (we all pile up) and looks down at me like I was a bug, and in his thick accent says with a stern and condescending voice says, "Ve haft to sell some parts, don't ve!?!" At which point I wanted to just disappear. :(

If you ever wonder what happens to those rear reflectors, that's why.

Thank you!
I just got an email reply from boxer2valve.
they sell an inner reflector that must be aftermarket... but fits inside of the early aluminum housing according to their email.
I'll get 2 of them ordered and try them out.

not completely original, but very glad there is even a component made that will work
thanks for all the help

And Greg... great story... loved it
brant

Back