• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

paint code for Granada red

2010rt

Getting ready to paint the 1974 R90/6 I would like to keep in original, does anyone know the paint code for Granada red, or where I can find it? Thanks!!

scott

Holt Design

Kent Holt is the expert on paints and colors. You just need patience and a willingness to pay for the expertise.

I added a bit to your title so it will help attract attention and others when they search for the same information.
Good luck.
OM

From Andy Schwietzer, "Boxer from /5: BMW Motorcycles from 1969 to 1985":

He shows (p134) "bol d'or red" (code 026) with a white pinstripe (526) as the stock red color for the '74 R90/6. But, he lists "granada red" as code 023. FWIW he shows granada red as a stock color on the '73 R75/5 with a white (code 523 in this case) pinstripe. The color difference he shows in the book (p136) between the bol d'or and granada red colors is subtle, but definite.

Remember that BMW indicates a paint code that encompasses all paint used on a bike ... main color, pinstripes. If you still have the sticker on top or your rear fender, this is the code indicated.

Then, each individual color has its own code (it's different) and that is the color you reference when talking to paint suppliers.

Everyone that posts questions like this can find the answers themselves by accessing realoem.com

Paint Code for Granada Red

Here's the PPG/Omni paint code from a '71 that I did a few years ago.
PPG/Omni
Code 71568
OEM Code: 23.3618
Granada Red BMW

There is a problem with using older paint codes and formulas

Most paint manufactures are constantly changing the make up of they're base and tints for the paints in order to comply with constant changes in environmental laws and standards. When the base changes so do the formulas to make the color you want. When they change the tint formula its the same thing. Most decent paint retailers can find a close match to what you want but the ones that get an exact match for your color are not very common. Believe it or not the color of the primer you use can also affect the color you end up with, it can be darker or lighter depending on dark or white primer under the top coat. Granada Red on a /2 is slightly lighter than the same color on a /5, I have both in original paint and side by side its pretty obvious even though I do have color vision challenges.

Back