Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: U-Joint repair was worth it

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 31310 View Post
    Having difficulty getting the driveshaft u-joints replaced. Local machine shop, with an excellent reputation, says that since I'm insisting on non Chinese parts, nothing is available and that my only option appears to be buying new from BMW. The shop can do the work but with cheaper Chinese parts. They cautioned not to expect more than maybe two years service, certainly not that of original, they don't recommend or even want to do the work with sub standard parts. I chose this shop based on sterling recommendations from people I know who deal with them.
    To those who had their driveshafts reworked, any idea of the origin of the replacement parts? Or perhaps someone knows part numbers of U.S. or European manufacture. This process has not been, to date, smooth and any help would be great.
    Where were the original u-joints made? Most anything from the Eastern Bloc will be plenty durable is what I have found.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Having difficulty getting the driveshaft u-joints replaced. Local machine shop, with an excellent reputation, says that since I'm insisting on non Chinese parts, nothing is available and that my only option appears to be buying new from BMW. The shop can do the work but with cheaper Chinese parts. They cautioned not to expect more than maybe two years service, certainly not that of original, they don't recommend or even want to do the work with sub standard parts. I chose this shop based on sterling recommendations from people I know who deal with them.
    To those who had their driveshafts reworked, any idea of the origin of the replacement parts? Or perhaps someone knows part numbers of U.S. or European manufacture. This process has not been, to date, smooth and any help would be great.
    Have you tried to source the Elbe 106? It appears to be the u joint of choice for the BMW shaft.
    https://www.drive-lines.com/elbe/tem...ies=ELBE%20106
    Elbe is a German company.
    I read the they are available at Pats Driveline in Canada

How to:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/2010-...ow-to.1444742/
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

No idea where the original parts were made. Thanks for the tip about Pat's Driveline. There is a branch here in Calgary which I will contact tomorrow.
    2007 R1200RT

No idea where the original parts were made. Thanks for the tip about Pat's Driveline. There is a branch here in Calgary which I will contact tomorrow.
    Read thru the ADV thread
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Read the thread and although tempting, (thanks to the forum, successfully rebuilt the final drive four years ago) will follow the advice of a thread poster and take it to the professionals. Your reply encourages me that, as usual, there is a solution.
    2007 R1200RT