Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: U-Joint repair was worth it

The measured play in the rotation of the rear wheel includes:

- the mesh of the final drive ring and pinion gear teeth
    - the fit of the driveshaft splines
    - the driveshaft U joint(s)
    - the fit of the dogs in the transmission (which can vary depending on gear selected)
    - the mesh of the selected gears in the transmission
    - the fit of the transmission input shaft and clutch hub

So as a gross measure of overall play/wear in the system a significant change signals there is an issue somewhere. It does not specifically point to Universal Joint wear, but it could be that.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    All righty then. This makes more sense to me although.......I find u-joints have a finite life, especially if they are not able to be greased. I had a Jeep a while back, found a bad u-joint.....I did all seven as they were the same age and not able to be greased.
    I find it hard to find a u-joint “just” going bad.

OM
    A fact from the past.
    R100GS's were prone to fwd U joint failures due to the steep angle of the driveshaft to transmission.
    This was partly due to the components used were from other models and the GS was sprung a lot higher.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

2008 R12GSA driveline impending failure

A couple of years ago I noticed a tight spot in rotating the rear wheel while on the centerstand at 64K. Dismayed that all the local BMW shop could come up with is replace it with a new driveshaft. Driveline Service in Green Bay rebuilt it with a pretty quick turn around. According to DS this shaft should be pulled and re-greased at 24K. Works like a charm and now it's serviceable.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The measured play in the rotation of the rear wheel includes:

- the mesh of the final drive ring and pinion gear teeth
    - the fit of the driveshaft splines
    - the driveshaft U joint(s)
    - the fit of the dogs in the transmission (which can vary depending on gear selected)
    - the mesh of the selected gears in the transmission
    - the fit of the transmission input shaft and clutch hub

So as a gross measure of overall play/wear in the system a significant change signals there is an issue somewhere. It does not specifically point to Universal Joint wear, but it could be that.
    Once the baseline is established.
    The drive shaft would the first suspect in my books.
    And the easiest to check.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Once the baseline is established.
    The drive shaft would the first suspect in my books.
    And the easiest to check.
    Agreed.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I recently pulled the driveshafts on Annie’s 2017 R12GS (36,000 miles) and my 2017 R12GSA (45,000 miles). Annie’s was in great shape; no rust, splines well lubed at both ends and both u-joints have good resistance and are smooth when moved thru their complete range. It was the second time I pulled my driveshaft, having done it at around 24,000 miles. All was well except both u-joints have a notchy feeling, so I will not risk any further use of the driveshaft. Spoke to Ted Porter and he is expecting to have his first batch of maintainable (they have zirks) and rebuildable driveshafts for the LC boxers within the next two months. He hopes to be able to keep the price at around $650, but will not know until he gets the final bill. I’ll let the GSA sit until I can get one of his driveshafts. Fortunately, I have my trusty, reliable and durable Ural to ride while I wait.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Neither my Haynes nor Clymer manuals mention this procedure; Clymer recommends having the dealer or other qualified technician inspect. Not that I doubt this info, I'm impressed with the knowledge of the posters. How did you determine the wear measurements please?
    I would guess that bumping the rear wheel in gear to check valve lash accelerates the wear process.
    2007 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by 31310 View Post
    I would guess that bumping the rear wheel in gear to check valve lash accelerates the wear process.
    No, this would have no effect on the u-joints. The forces involved are miniscule compared to those transmitted when actually riding the bike.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

For the OP, did you choose this firm to do the work based on reputation/recommendations? The shop appears to be a considerable distance from your home. Or could this work be done at a competent machine shop that is willing to take on the task? My question arises mainly due to recalling that years before, BMW (cars) driveshafts could not be rebuilt.
    2007 R1200RT

DennyPink
    Quote Originally Posted by 31310 View Post
    For the OP, did you choose this firm to do the work based on reputation/recommendations? The shop appears to be a considerable distance from your home. Or could this work be done at a competent machine shop that is willing to take on the task? My question arises mainly due to recalling that years before, BMW (cars) driveshafts could not be rebuilt.
    I decided on the Green Bay company based on past reviews, and over the years they have probably replaced hundreds of BMW drive shaft u-joints. The turn around time was one week, including shipping. If a local competent machine shop has experience doing this kind of work, and can source the parts needed, I'm sure they could do it. Let us know what you find out. Thanks!
    DP

Thanks for the reply, will let you know how it goes.
    2007 R1200RT

Hm. I may have to check this. I'm at 111k miles on my RT and just had the driveshaft out to replace a seal. I didn't notice any play, but I didn't really measure anything. I'm wondering if I should spend the money up front to have the joints replaced for good measure.
    Current rides: 2013 R1200RT 90th - 111k miles & 2007 R1200S
    Previous BMWs: 2016 R1200RT, 2012 R1200GS Rallye, 2011 R1200RT-P, 2007 R1200S, 2006 R1200RT

DennyPink
    That's what I did for preventative maintenance.

I sent my driveshaft to Machine Services in Green Bay a few weeks ago. I had it back in ten days and it spent only two days in their shop. Cost was $260 plus $55 total for shipping. I still plan on buying one of the BeemerShop's new driveshafts when it becomes available. I'll install it and keep the rebuilt one as a back-up for Annie's GS.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

not as easy as hoped

Having difficulty getting the driveshaft u-joints replaced. Local machine shop, with an excellent reputation, says that since I'm insisting on non Chinese parts, nothing is available and that my only option appears to be buying new from BMW. The shop can do the work but with cheaper Chinese parts. They cautioned not to expect more than maybe two years service, certainly not that of original, they don't recommend or even want to do the work with sub standard parts. I chose this shop based on sterling recommendations from people I know who deal with them.
    To those who had their driveshafts reworked, any idea of the origin of the replacement parts? Or perhaps someone knows part numbers of U.S. or European manufacture. This process has not been, to date, smooth and any help would be great.
    2007 R1200RT