• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

U-Joint repair was worth it

I recently pulled the driveshafts on Annie’s 2017 R12GS (36,000 miles) and my 2017 R12GSA (45,000 miles). Annie’s was in great shape; no rust, splines well lubed at both ends and both u-joints have good resistance and are smooth when moved thru their complete range. It was the second time I pulled my driveshaft, having done it at around 24,000 miles. All was well except both u-joints have a notchy feeling, so I will not risk any further use of the driveshaft. Spoke to Ted Porter and he is expecting to have his first batch of maintainable (they have zirks) and rebuildable driveshafts for the LC boxers within the next two months. He hopes to be able to keep the price at around $650, but will not know until he gets the final bill. I’ll let the GSA sit until I can get one of his driveshafts. Fortunately, I have my trusty, reliable and durable Ural to ride while I wait.

Neither my Haynes nor Clymer manuals mention this procedure; Clymer recommends having the dealer or other qualified technician inspect. Not that I doubt this info, I'm impressed with the knowledge of the posters. How did you determine the wear measurements please?
I would guess that bumping the rear wheel in gear to check valve lash accelerates the wear process.

I would guess that bumping the rear wheel in gear to check valve lash accelerates the wear process.
No, this would have no effect on the u-joints. The forces involved are miniscule compared to those transmitted when actually riding the bike.

For the OP, did you choose this firm to do the work based on reputation/recommendations? The shop appears to be a considerable distance from your home. Or could this work be done at a competent machine shop that is willing to take on the task? My question arises mainly due to recalling that years before, BMW (cars) driveshafts could not be rebuilt.

For the OP, did you choose this firm to do the work based on reputation/recommendations? The shop appears to be a considerable distance from your home. Or could this work be done at a competent machine shop that is willing to take on the task? My question arises mainly due to recalling that years before, BMW (cars) driveshafts could not be rebuilt.

I decided on the Green Bay company based on past reviews, and over the years they have probably replaced hundreds of BMW drive shaft u-joints. The turn around time was one week, including shipping. If a local competent machine shop has experience doing this kind of work, and can source the parts needed, I'm sure they could do it. Let us know what you find out. Thanks!
DP

Hm. I may have to check this. I'm at 111k miles on my RT and just had the driveshaft out to replace a seal. I didn't notice any play, but I didn't really measure anything. I'm wondering if I should spend the money up front to have the joints replaced for good measure.

I sent my driveshaft to Machine Services in Green Bay a few weeks ago. I had it back in ten days and it spent only two days in their shop. Cost was $260 plus $55 total for shipping. I still plan on buying one of the BeemerShop's new driveshafts when it becomes available. I'll install it and keep the rebuilt one as a back-up for Annie's GS.

not as easy as hoped

Having difficulty getting the driveshaft u-joints replaced. Local machine shop, with an excellent reputation, says that since I'm insisting on non Chinese parts, nothing is available and that my only option appears to be buying new from BMW. The shop can do the work but with cheaper Chinese parts. They cautioned not to expect more than maybe two years service, certainly not that of original, they don't recommend or even want to do the work with sub standard parts. I chose this shop based on sterling recommendations from people I know who deal with them.
To those who had their driveshafts reworked, any idea of the origin of the replacement parts? Or perhaps someone knows part numbers of U.S. or European manufacture. This process has not been, to date, smooth and any help would be great.

Having difficulty getting the driveshaft u-joints replaced. Local machine shop, with an excellent reputation, says that since I'm insisting on non Chinese parts, nothing is available and that my only option appears to be buying new from BMW. The shop can do the work but with cheaper Chinese parts. They cautioned not to expect more than maybe two years service, certainly not that of original, they don't recommend or even want to do the work with sub standard parts. I chose this shop based on sterling recommendations from people I know who deal with them.
To those who had their driveshafts reworked, any idea of the origin of the replacement parts? Or perhaps someone knows part numbers of U.S. or European manufacture. This process has not been, to date, smooth and any help would be great.

Where were the original u-joints made? Most anything from the Eastern Bloc will be plenty durable is what I have found.
OM

Have you tried to source the Elbe 106? It appears to be the u joint of choice for the BMW shaft.
https://www.drive-lines.com/elbe/template.php?series=ELBE 106
Elbe is a German company.
I read the they are available at Pats Driveline in Canada

How to:
https://advrider.com/f/threads/2010-1200gs-drive-shaft-u_joint-replacement-how-to.1444742/

No idea where the original parts were made. Thanks for the tip about Pat's Driveline. There is a branch here in Calgary which I will contact tomorrow.

Read the thread and although tempting, (thanks to the forum, successfully rebuilt the final drive four years ago) will follow the advice of a thread poster and take it to the professionals. Your reply encourages me that, as usual, there is a solution.

Back