Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: U-Joint repair was worth it

  1. #1
    DennyPink
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO.
    Posts
    137

    U-Joint repair was worth it

    2007 R1200RT, 87,385 miles.
    Needed a winter project and decided to do some swing arm/drive shaft preventative maintenance. Prior to disassembly, measured free play at the rear wheel in 1st gear. 2.5 inches (63.5mm). Drive shaft sent to Machine Service, Inc. in Green Bay, Wis. and returned one week later. $260.00 plus $23.86 for shipping to Colo. In 1st gear free play now measures 1.75 inches (44.45mm) Moral of my story, even if U-Joints feel good, somewhere around 80 to 90K, I would suggest having them rebuilt. The drive shaft will probably out last me.
    DP
    Last edited by DennyPink; 01-11-2021 at 01:55 AM.

  2. #2
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Big Sky Country
    Posts
    8,658
    I just sent them an email to see if they can do my driveshaft off a 2017 R12GSA.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

  3. #3
    Registered User pappy35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Collierville, TN
    Posts
    612
    That play is supposed to be 50mm or less right? Sounds like it was heading out. Good idea to get to it before failure. That price sure beats a replacement shaft (even Ted Porter's).
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

  4. #4
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    3,462
    Where exactly did you take those measurements?
    '
    Ufda happens..........

    Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

  5. #5
    DennyPink
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO.
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Where exactly did you take those measurements?
    Hello GSAddict - at the rear tire, in 1st gear, pre and post rebuild.
    DP

  6. #6
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    3,462
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyPink View Post
    Hello GSAddict - at the rear tire, in 1st gear, pre and post rebuild.
    DP
    Yes of course, but where on the wheel? Circumference increases with diameter.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

    Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

  7. #7
    DennyPink
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO.
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Yes of course, but where on the wheel? Circumference increases with diameter.
    Hello GSAddict - Good question. Took my measurement right side of the rim, where the tire and rim meet. Rotated the wheel back to full stop, held my caliper at a specific mark, then rotated the wheel forward to full stop, making sure the caliper did not move.
    DP

  8. #8
    Unregistered User dduelin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    N. FL
    Posts
    268
    This is very timely information. I also have a 2007 RT with 107,000 miles. Measured at the outside edge of the rim my bike has 45 mm of play. I rode a ST1300 for 180,000 miles and kept a record of play just like this. There was no Honda service limit or recommendation but I thought checking it every tire change over time would give me some warning of excessive wear or an impending problem. That bike always had about 45 mm of lash (play).

    I've had this 2007 RT just over a year and 18,000 miles. I plan on keeping the bike on the road for a few years at least so maybe another 75-80,000 miles. Looking to the future I just purchased a used low(er) mileage driveshaft and am evaluating options of driveshaft replacement with this used one or rebuild it as a spare,

    I have no known issues with the drive train at present. Dropping the final drive for oil changes allows direct examination of the rear u-joint only and I've seen posts and such that detail front u-joint failure. Perhaps I will send my used DS to WI for rebuild and plan on installing it in the next few months. Thanks very much for this info.
    Dave

    GL1800
    R1200RT

  9. #9
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    3,462
    This check would be a good addition to regular service intervals.
    Simple and quick to do.
    I'm adding it to my list and will log the data.
    Thank you
    Last edited by GSAddict; 01-11-2021 at 03:48 PM.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

    Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

  10. #10
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    16,704
    I donít want to drag this thread off track..... but on u-joints, any play is bad from my experience.
    Maybe these are not the needle bearing- cross-joint, Cardan joint or u-joints Iím familiar with
    From class 8 trucks to farm equipment, any excess movement usually led to seal breakdown, water intrusion, rust and the cross beating the needle bearings out of the cups.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  11. #11
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    3,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I donít want to drag this thread off track..... but on u-joints, any play is bad from my experience.
    Maybe these are not the needle bearing- cross-joint, Cardan joint or u-joints Iím familiar with
    From class 8 trucks to farm equipment, any excess movement usually led to seal breakdown, water intrusion, rust and the cross beating the needle bearings out of the cups.
    OM

    The play measured (taking into account that the U joints are in perfect condition) is the slot in the transmission gear dogs.
    Also included in this figure is the backlash of the FD crown gear and the splines (very minimal)
    Normal and expected.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '
    Ufda happens..........

    Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

  12. #12
    DennyPink
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO.
    Posts
    137
    To dduelin and GSAddict - you are welcome!

  13. #13
    Unregistered User dduelin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    N. FL
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I donít want to drag this thread off track..... but on u-joints, any play is bad from my experience.
    Maybe these are not the needle bearing- cross-joint, Cardan joint or u-joints Iím familiar with
    From class 8 trucks to farm equipment, any excess movement usually led to seal breakdown, water intrusion, rust and the cross beating the needle bearings out of the cups.
    OM
    Yes, you are correct in regards to the u-joint bearings. It would have been better of me to describe the measurement as lash or drive line play as measured at the rear wheel. It involves lash in all the associated parts from transmission output to bevel drive and I still think it is worthwhile to keep tabs on. Checking it regularly keeps me tuned to the amount of lash and the sound and feel of all the parts rotated by hand. Besides the rear joint inspection for a catch, rough spot, or notch in the bearings with the RT I also open the rear caliper to get the pads away from the brake disk and observe how the wheel turns with the engine running with cold transmission in neutral, looking for any 'catch' or disruption of smooth rotation of the rear wheel. I believe(hope!) any u-joint bearing problem will show up sometime before failure with regular checks like these.
    Dave

    GL1800
    R1200RT

  14. #14
    '14 R1200 GS Adv bigjohnsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Black Hills, SD
    Posts
    625
    @akbeemer check out the thread in ADVRider
    The only dumb question is the unasked question!

    Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

  15. #15
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    16,704
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    The play measured (taking into account that the U joints are in perfect condition) is the slot in the transmission gear dogs.
    Also included in this figure is the backlash of the FD crown gear and the splines (very minimal)
    Normal and expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    Yes, you are correct in regards to the u-joint bearings. It would have been better of me to describe the measurement as lash or drive line play as measured at the rear wheel. It involves lash in all the associated parts from transmission output to bevel drive and I still think it is worthwhile to keep tabs on. Checking it regularly keeps me tuned to the amount of lash and the sound and feel of all the parts rotated by hand. Besides the rear joint inspection for a catch, rough spot, or notch in the bearings with the RT I also open the rear caliper to get the pads away from the brake disk and observe how the wheel turns with the engine running with cold transmission in neutral, looking for any 'catch' or disruption of smooth rotation of the rear wheel. I believe(hope!) any u-joint bearing problem will show up sometime before failure with regular checks like these.
    All righty then. This makes more sense to me although.......I find u-joints have a finite life, especially if they are not able to be greased. I had a Jeep a while back, found a bad u-joint.....I did all seven as they were the same age and not able to be greased.
    I find it hard to find a u-joint ďjustĒ going bad.

    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Similar Threads

  1. u-joint inspection
    By johnkuhn in forum Airheads
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 05:52 PM
  2. U joint repair
    By protomike64 in forum Airheads
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 04:46 AM
  3. Ball Joint gone bad?
    By devauxb in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 12:03 AM
  4. FD U-joint removal
    By JerryAttrick in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-30-2008, 04:46 PM
  5. Need to replace U joint
    By electblue in forum Airheads
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 03:21 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •