• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

help me pick.. RT or GSA

I picked the RT

Not knocking the GS. I ride mainly on Roads but that being said I travel on a farm road to my house. I have also helped to round up some cattle on a motorcycle, get ready for it, the Bike was a GL1800 goldwing. As long as the ground is firm a big road bike will behave well enough to get off road. Main thing for me is the big fairing on the RT. I ride year round regardless of weather. With below freezing temperatures and rain the big fairing is a real plus. The weather protection on the RT is great. The luggage space with the top trunk is great and very useful. The fact that is easily detached for working on the bike is great as well. I treat the RT like a 2 wheeled car and did the same with my previous goldwings. The RT is much sportier although a skilled rider on a wing can actually put some of the squids on sport bikes to shame. It is even easier to do so with an RT. Yesterday it was 24 degrees on the way home and I was quite comfortable at interstate speeds thanks to my Gordons heated liner in my Kline jacket. If you desire lots of road use go with the RT unless you are so tall that you need the extra height. As to performing maintenance so far the RT is a huge plus over the goldwings. Tires for instance are much easier to change on the RT. There are a great many intelligent features for making the work easier. The longer I have this bike the more I like it. I still wish it was a bit longer and that it took a bit more effort to change directions or lines in a curve than it does, but I am getting used to it.:thumb:bikes

Not knocking the GS. I ride mainly on Roads but that being said I travel on a farm road to my house. I have also helped to round up some cattle on a motorcycle, get ready for it, the Bike was a GL1800 goldwing. As long as the ground is firm a big road bike will behave well enough to get off road. Main thing for me is the big fairing on the RT. I ride year round regardless of weather. With below freezing temperatures and rain the big fairing is a real plus. The weather protection on the RT is great. The luggage space with the top trunk is great and very useful. The fact that is easily detached for working on the bike is great as well. I treat the RT like a 2 wheeled car and did the same with my previous goldwings. The RT is much sportier although a skilled rider on a wing can actually put some of the squids on sport bikes to shame. It is even easier to do so with an RT. Yesterday it was 24 degrees on the way home and I was quite comfortable at interstate speeds thanks to my Gordons heated liner in my Kline jacket. If you desire lots of road use go with the RT unless you are so tall that you need the extra height. As to performing maintenance so far the RT is a huge plus over the goldwings. Tires for instance are much easier to change on the RT. There are a great many intelligent features for making the work easier. The longer I have this bike the more I like it. I still wish it was a bit longer and that it took a bit more effort to change directions or lines in a curve than it does, but I am getting used to it.:thumb:bikes

It would be nice if you filled out your profile with at least enough information to know whether you are talking about Minnesota weather or Oklahoma weather or New Mexico weather (all of which have seen 24 degrees recently) or wherever.

GS has huge rear wheel travel, great for two-up pillion riders.

Coming from an '85 K100RS with a leather Russel Day Long Two-Up saddle, I rented some GSs for trips and went with the R1200GS LC Wethead for the rear travel comfort of close to 8" vs the RT which has around 4".

Sag uses 1/3 of the travel so the remainder is the amount of a concrete buckle or bump that can go under the rear wheel without the rear seat really getting jolted. You can add a small amount of tire squish to the travel number.

I like the GS solo as I go on dirt roads quite a bit and we like the GS for two-up day trips and camping trips. The cringing/wincing noise I would hear while riding the K100RS with a good Progressive Rear Shock over a bad bump is all but gone now.

Hope this helps others trying to decide that find this thread.

It would be nice if you filled out your profile with at least enough information to know whether you are talking about Minnesota weather or Oklahoma weather or New Mexico weather (all of which have seen 24 degrees recently) or wherever.

Paul, I am talking about North East Texas weather. Windy, and 24 degrees. I work 12 hour shifts 6 pm to 6 am and generally when I get done work and ride home it is during the coldest part of the day or real close to it. Hope that helps you out.

Paul, I am talking about North East Texas weather. Windy, and 24 degrees. I work 12 hour shifts 6 pm to 6 am and generally when I get done work and ride home it is during the coldest part of the day or real close to it. Hope that helps you out.

Thanks. In the Texas Big Bend we hit 24 maybe once a year, :)

Like this reply

What features do you most like about your RT’s?

Items I like about my GSA.

1. The height of the GSA fits me due to my height.
2. It offers very good protection from the elements.
3. Has plenty of storage using BMW luggage.
4. Easy to perform basic maintenance.
5. Lots of accessory options.
6. Agile, predictable and consistent handling
Lastly, I smile every time I think about riding it.

Best regards,

Chris

I have had a RT and a GS and now two GSA's. Would never go back to the RT for the above reasons. It is just a do darn near everything bike.

I'd suggest that seeing as you already have an RTW, you give strong consideration to what you would like the RT to do that it doesn't already.

Like you, I'm 67. You didn't mention your inseam (can be an issue). I have ridden plenty of miles on both and done a 400-500 mile day on an RT and the same the next day on a GS (both Wetheads). As I think you already know, they are both great bikes and easily capable of crossing continents right off the showroom floor.

The only real issue you mentioned appeared to be being "excluded" on rides by GS friends. So I'll start with "Use" first as I'm presuming the exclusion was due to riding dirt roads/trails.

The first thing to keep in mind is that the R1250RT and GS are different ergonomically, however, it is easier to make a near GS out of an RT than the other way around. Many products exist for RT riders looking for more space or a more upright dual-sport position to relocate things you aren't stuck with what the factory offers.

All of life is a compromise, the only issue is which compromises are most important to you.

Use:

• [*]Pavement only
    Presume this isn't the issue or those excluding you are bigger snobs than most ;-)
    [*]Pavement and dirt roads
    Can be done with an RT but there are two potential issues to consider
    a) tires - the biggest difference is what tires you run. Sport-Touring tires aren't great on dirt/gravel roads (on an RT or a GS), something like a Continental TKC 70 or more aggressive fits an RT fine and will change the experience incredibly.
    b) geometry - steering angle, etc., along with body position (bars, pegs, etc.) has some effect but not much until you get into heavy dirt roads and trails
    [*]Dirt roads mostly
    On an RT, I'd want not just dual-sport tires but also Illium front and rear crash bars. ;-)
  • Dirt roads and trails
    The steering geometry is optimized for pavement on an RT while the GS geometry is a compromise between pavement and dirt.

Fit:
  • Seats, pegs, and bars can be swapped to get very close to what one wants
    Far easier to change ergonomics than the bike's steering geometry (trail riding on an RT is like fitting a square peg in a round hole - it might work but why?)
  • As in "Use" if you are talking dirt roads and not trails, things can work but a GS would be more comfortable with less hassle

Comfort:
  • [*]Weather protection
    Don't believe anyone who says a GS has good or even adequate weather protection compared to an RT. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but there is a ton of difference unless you are riding to and from Starbucks!
    The GS will be less tiring than riding a completely naked bike, but far more so than riding an RT on the highway. Noise, wind buffetting, heat, and cold are all going to be noticeably more pronounced on a GS at highway speeds. Around town or on slow country roads the difference is small if at all. I've ridden a GS in the heat 85-F-105F and noticed far more heat hitting me than from the RT which channels engine and air heat away from you far better. I have also been surprised at how much colder it is riding a GS in 50F-60F than an RT. If temps are 70F-80F my recollection is that the GS is fine, but the farther either side of that you go and the compromises of the GS start to become more and more apparent.

As always, this is just my experience and opinion, YMMV.

Bummer two bikes are out for you. I had 08 RT and now a 18 RT, but I also ride a 06 F650GS. Now said GS is not even close to the 1200/50 GS, but still its a GS. I love my RT, great motor, andgreat wind/cold protection. I think those that say the GS is a better road bke are nuts, the RT was made for Sport Touring. Now if you talk about gravel roads, GS is the one. but distance traveeling is the RT all the way. My GS is a fun bike and great in the summer for free air flow, but when the temps get down, Like 50ish I want my RT with protection. I think it is a very individual choice, one only you can make for yourself. But if I only had one bike it would be an RT.

Bob

Why I picked my 2020 R1250RT over the R1250GSA

My $.00000002M:

I'm 6'4", 300#, and truly loving every bit of my 2020 R1250RT... even WITH all of it's farkle, it's a hot rod. It has more power than I need, and I'm pretty heavy on the throttle (front-wheel-lifts at least once each month last summer).

Yes, the stock ride is not so good for longer inseams, but here's what I did:
- Suburban Machinery Drop Pegs
- Illium Works Engine Crash Bars, Rear Crash Bars, and Highway Pegs
- BMW-standard top case
- AeroFlow sport screen

Here's why I did it:
- The drop pegs really don't take a lot from my ride... my size-15 boots drag toe no matter what, and I have gotten good at shifting lead to one side in place of lean. It's been nice to learn to shift well so I can take advantage of some good cornering in the wet conditions up here.
- The front/rear roll bars were originally put on because this is also my daily commuter, and I wanted zero stress while I was away as it sat in the parking garage.
- The highway pegs are perfect for stretching out my battle-damaged knees on the straights or in slow[er] commutes, or while I'm relaxing on the ferry ride home.
- The top case holds most all of my work gear and sometimes a second riding jacket or rain slicker; one of the panniers holds my lunch (and, sometimes dinner) while I'm riding, and my helmet when I'm not (there's also the obligatory first aid and tool kits in the 2nd side bag).
- The stock screen isn't tall enough for me, and buffets or generates excessive wind noise at-speed. I haven't tried a tall windshield, yet, but I don't intend to, either... the sport screen lets air flow to my chest all day long, leaving clean air for my helmet to handle, and does a fine job of deflecting > 80% of precipitation from my visor when I raise the windshield shield all the way up. In fact, with just the sport shield, I seem to be able to handle just about any weather the Pacific Northwest has thrown at me this last year.

Oh... and I take all of that PLUS my 50-Litre wet bag, and a tent on the back seat for my weekend ride-a-bouts and IBA rehearsals to see my folks in Central California.

Just like the GSA, you can't over-load the RT easily. It's even harder with this 1250 wethead.

Comparison of the RT vs GSA: I had a loaner 2020 R1250GSA for three days while I was getting services done on my own RT. All of the long-inseam accouterment I put on the RT was unneeded on the GSA... it just fits tall guys better, and standing on the pegs is much more natural, with my arms at a more neutral position compared to the RT. The GSA is just... less sporty on the roads and highways, but certainly almost as fast ('...duh,' right?). At-speed, my tall frame is buffeted more in the GSA, and I didn't like the narrower seat for more than an hour, but that's probably because I was already so used to my RT's shelving unit.

Do I ride off-road? Yes, but recently only when I'm trying to get to the next stretch of pavement. In my case, all of the Yaris' and Forresters that have come before seem to do a fine enough job to keep the tracks smooth and comfortable for my RT. I still have my '04 DL-1000 set up for dirt-mode, but I'll now admit that I never missed it at all this last season.

As a commuter/curve-burner/highway-muncher, my RT is always painting a big fat smile on my face, and I don't regret my decision to own it over the GS. That said: my next bike could very well be a GSA... but it could also be a GT. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Help me pick.. RT or GSA

Gentlemen:
... Please accept my most humble apologies.. I only received acknowledgement of one reply. It was much to my surprise and joy that I saw all of the comments last night, they were bothl insightful and humor's to say the least . So let me catch you all up
.by the 11th of Jan it was decided that I would buy the 2017 red GSA LOW, A spur of the moment trip sent me with my great 2016 R1200RT to Greenville SC with my wife (she in her car). I departed for Daytona Beach Thr. morning. Fri morning I step into a NON BMW dealership and sadly spent the day dealing with my own credit union and insurance Co .. left at 5 PM thinking everyone was happy . later standing in Daytona Beach BMW dealership ( not their true name). The credit union called. They didn't like how Fla does their bill of sales. SO bright and early Sat morning back to the dealer and talking with my bank. Had to sign loan paperwork for the dealer since they had no money in hand ( don't blame them) and a whole other story about that money) . Then off to the keys and up to Everglades and then to Jacksonville to meet and old friend. Then onto the Northeast? BMW owners rally, do to bad weather coming in quick trip home on the 24th. So I doubled the mileage on the bike and did several dirt roads, proud to say my dancing partner (the bike) didn't let me down.
Is the GSA different? OH yes. no seat heater ( not a deal breaker) No radio (other options available). Sitting the same as far as feet to the ground. 6'0 with 31 inseam. Love the extra room in bags the top case (take or leave it) nice added space. Let me say as I close ( sorry for rambling) that i very much enjoyed my RT's over the years. But I think and having an old guy something, I want to go play in the dirty. I have many friends near by with GS's more than willing to drag me along. The Blue RT got washed more than Red RT I had, I was myself most days.

Side Bar.. Paul I bought a 2000 RT and the master BMW mechanic that worked on it told me it looked liked like a boffola grazing. He was right.
One more thing my Mother-in-Law with lives with me told me that the Blue RT looked better... she's 91

Tom Casey
2017 R12GSA Pony (since its not as tall as the other GSA's)
1975 R75/6 Ole yeller

And here I was going to reply. Anyway, good luck with the newer bike. I ride a 2009 RT. It's paid for. If I could get a new RT setup like my current one, maybe, but it's basically order the premium package or nothing. Maybe if I come across a police bike...Anyway, safe travels.

Back