• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2020 R1250 GS passenger air turbulence

I'm looking for a good aftermarket windshield to provide better wind protection for my passenger than the stock unit , passenger sits taller than I do . all suggestions appreciated .

Two Up GS windscreen

My '13 R1200GS LC came with a stock GS windscreen which I narrowed some in the lower half as I roll the bars forward and don't want my Barkbusters to ruin the holding mechanism. Rode a '15 GS Two Up in Ireland, not much highway and rode this past summer from Phila to Thousand Islands and Mt. Washington NH without much concern. Her seat is tall and was in the back position and she is 5' 4", her helmet is a Shoei RF-1200. The sidewinds off the Atlantic in Ireland would jostle both helmets when the hedges or walls suddenly stopped. I now own a GSA BMW shield which is taller and wider than the GS screen and works well for just me in the winter, too cold for her. She is mature enough to have less than perfect hearing, we use Sena SH-M10s that work well and she does not use earplugs, I do. I struggle to stay cool and enjoy the feeling of being outside and don't mind lacking some wind and rain "protection."

2020 GS windscreen

Thanks for response , I picked up a taller and wider screen with stabilizers for it and will see if it cures problem

Windscreens are often good for the operator but poor for the passenger. The windscreen just pushes the air out enough to just clear you and then comes together just behind you. In some situations you will feel the wind pushing on your back. When you are going down the highway, use your left hand and move it around behind the screen to identify where the wind is coming from, change hands and do it for the right side. Often you'll find that the air is coming from the bottom of the screen. Hand protectors can direct the blast right at your shoulders.

Bigger is not always better and often a smaller screen will work better, as well as some of the aftermarket wind deflectors that fit on the top of the windscreen. It really just depends on where the air is coming from. What you are trying to do is to lessen the low air pressure behind the screen. Many of the well designed aftermarket screens work at reducing this dead airspace. Air will want to fill the vacuum behind the screen.

Windscreens are often good for the operator but poor for the passenger. The windscreen just pushes the air out enough to just clear you and then comes together just behind you. In some situations you will feel the wind pushing on your back. .

I once rode my R1150R with OEM "Touring" windshield wearing a neck tie. At anything above about 25 MPH the tie stood out straight in front of me into the low pressure area behind the shield as air flowed back to front past my shoulders.

Back