Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Considering adding a 92 K75

Just to set the record straight, here’s the next chapter:

After my second 3-hour round-trip to further investigate this bike and it still not starting...and finding the fan problem (and lifting the tank bra and finding concealed tank damage) I went home.

I did not make an offer, telling him I wanted to see it running and ride it before discussing price.

He texted me two days later and offered to sell it to me as-is for $2300.

I politely passed on the offer w/out making a counteroffer and wished him good luck, told him if he could get it running to reconnect with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 Red Bricks
    The undisclosed tank damage after your first trip would be a deal breaker.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Would the “concealed tank damage” be a leak, at one of the seams?

Seen this a few times with K bike aluminum gas tanks. They can be repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by rangemaster View Post
    Just to set the record straight, here’s the next chapter:

After my second 3-hour round-trip to further investigate this bike and ...... (and lifting the tank bra and finding concealed tank damage) ......

Quote Originally Posted by walsj1024 View Post
    Would the “concealed tank damage” be a leak, at one of the seams?

Seen this a few times with K bike aluminum gas tanks. They can be repaired.
    Yes, but ...

Full honesty ought to be expected and provided. Finding something undisclosed ought to kill any further thought of a deal. Hide one thing, what else is hidden.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Paul,

I think you are right. I initially missed the part that the damage was under a tank cover. I was thinking it was under the tank, where some K fuel tanks have seam splits.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Yes, but ...

Full honesty ought to be expected and provided. Finding something undisclosed ought to kill any further thought of a deal. Hide one thing, what else is hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Yes, but ...

When I got there and it wouldn’t start would be the end of the deal for me I’ve been to look at to many bikes that were in good running condition that wouldn’t even start.

JohnWC
    Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    John,

I actually agree with you. The bike looks great and probably worth close to the asking price. It would definitely be worth the asking price once it is running correctly.

I am just pointing out what could be wrong with a K75 that had sat for awhile. When buying a bike, you have to look at the bottom line, but offering someone $1000 for a bike that would cost you $100-200 to make right is, especially when it looks as nice as this one, is kind of insulting. The mechanical stuff is easy to fix, not so much the cosmetics. It's not like it's worn out or trashed. It is just probably something minor. I would buy it,if I needed and had room for an 8th bike!
    Lee, I'd be the last person on earth to question your intuition about K75 machines. And that certainly wasn't my intention. All the follow up advice you, and others gave about what to look for in these machines is dead on. A couple of times now I've bought BMWs without looking at the final bottom line, as you suggest, and ended up very seriously regretting it. You get what you pay for is all too true.

It looks like I was too quick to come to the sellers defense judging from the problems the prospective buyer uncovered, and the fact that the seller still thought the bike was worth $2300. I'd say that the adage, "Beauty is only skin deep" certainly seems to apply to that bike. Paul too, is absolutely right about people being honest about what they are selling, which that guy quite clearly is not. Good for you, Rangemaster, you may well have done yourself a big favor by walking away.

In my youth I couldn't pass up buying run down MG Midgets to fix up and drive. My wife claimed that I " felt sorry for them." Yes, I guess that was true. I'm hoping I've finally gotten cured of that. Some cars, and motorcycles, are just not worth the trouble, no matter how "cute" they are.

Quote Originally Posted by jconway607 View Post
    Lee, I'd be the last person on earth to question your intuition about K75 machines. And that certainly wasn't my intention. All the follow up advice you, and others gave about what to look for in these machines is dead on. A couple of times now I've bought BMWs without looking at the final bottom line, as you suggest, and ended up very seriously regretting it. You get what you pay for is all too true.

It looks like I was too quick to come to the sellers defense judging from the problems the prospective buyer uncovered, and the fact that the seller still thought the bike was worth $2300. I'd say that the adage, "Beauty is only skin deep" certainly seems to apply to that bike. Paul too, is absolutely right about people being honest about what they are selling, which that guy quite clearly is not. Good for you, Rangemaster, you may well have done yourself a big favor by walking away.

In my youth I couldn't pass up buying run down MG Midgets to fix up and drive. My wife claimed that I " felt sorry for them." Yes, I guess that was true. I'm hoping I've finally gotten cured of that. Some cars, and motorcycles, are just not worth the trouble, no matter how "cute" they are.

This post is a bit too civil...

I'd also walk away, only because there are so many other good condition, running K-bikes out there... the current marketplace shows a couple under this seller's asking price...
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Quote Originally Posted by jconway607 View Post

Funny you should mention MGs...I used to had that affliction as well .

I’ll just wait and see what the seller does...I have learned to be patient about such things.

Quote Originally Posted by rangemaster View Post
    Funny you should mention MGs...I used to had that affliction as well .

I’ll just wait and see what the seller does...I have learned to be patient about such things.

It took two MG's and a bucket of money to cure me.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS