• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NAV VI - "Main or Welcome screen"

gsshan

Hello, I am having an issue with my NAV VI and I am at a loss and hoping someone can help. So, I start my bike and the NAV boots up and lands on the main screen. I like to view the screen with all of the bike data in all of the individual little boxes. I also like the map screen, but regardless of what screen I switch to the little "back" button in the lower left corner will then promptly highlight itself and switch back to the main screen. I can switch screens as much as I like and it will always switches back. The unit has all of the updates etc. Does anyone have any ideas?

First I heard of them doing that. The back arrow in the lower left will always go to the main page if you “touch and hold” otherwise a touch and release or “tap” should just back you up to the previous viewed page.

There have been issues with “ghost touches” on Nav VI units and Garmin is aware of the issue. You didn’t mention how you were changing screens, whether it was by touch or via the wonder wheel or the cradle buttons. If you contact Garmin most likely the first thing they will have you try is a master reset as outlined here. If that doesn’t help, contact Garmin support and they will likely ship you a new unit.

Best,
DeVern

Hello, I am having an issue with my NAV VI and I am at a loss and hoping someone can help. So, I start my bike and the NAV boots up and lands on the main screen. I like to view the screen with all of the bike data in all of the individual little boxes. I also like the map screen, but regardless of what screen I switch to the little "back" button in the lower left corner will then promptly highlight itself and switch back to the main screen. I can switch screens as much as I like and it will always switches back. The unit has all of the updates etc. Does anyone have any ideas?

The Navigator, when it resumes from sleep mode, opens up on the main page and after you start moving a few meters switches to the map display. This isn't a bug, it's the expected behavior on all Nav V and VI. This seems to be just for BMW and AFAIK I haven't seen that on any other GPS from Garmin.

In other words what you are asking is, is there a way to change the default? I don't believe that you can but to be sure, you should contact Garmin support.

There have been issues with “ghost touches” on Nav VI units and Garmin is aware of the issue. You didn’t mention how you were changing screens, whether it was by touch or via the wonder wheel or the cradle buttons. If you contact Garmin most likely the first thing they will have you try is a master reset as outlined here. If that doesn’t help, contact Garmin support and they will likely ship you a new unit.

Best,
DeVern

I am switching via the wonder wheel and no matter what screen I try to go to the return button in the lower left will immediately highlight itself and go back to the main/home screen. I will try a master reset (thanks for the link) and see what happens.

There are many with Nav VI problems as you've described. My 2 year old Nav VI began acting up later in 2020. I contacted Garmin and described the problem, they asked for the serial number then said they would ship me a new one after they received mine in the mail. Adam Chandler, on YouTube, is on his third Navigator VI. Best of luck! At least Garmin is standing behind their product.

Update!

I reached out to Garmin and they swapped it out with a new one and no questions asked! Great service. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Back