• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Then And Now

Then: The Blue light special at Kmart was the best money spent.

Now: The Blue light special is the worst money spent. No way to talk your way out of it, and the officer says $150 or more!!!

Then- It was not uncommon for school age children to walk 3/4 of a mile to school.

Now- Children are driven to the bus stop….300 feet from their home.

:scratch

OM

Then- It was not uncommon for school age children to walk 3/4 of a mile to school.

OM

Then; Kids rode their bicycles to school

Now; 500 SUV's are idling for hours in the school zone waiting..... "It's for the children" and "save the planet" sounds so very hollow.:sick

When I was in high school in a town of 30,000 people the high school had exactly one bus; rented. It was for when a sports team traveled out of town. Otherwise it was walk or scrounge a ride. I usually hitch hiked.

When I was in high school in a town of 30,000 people the high school had exactly one bus; rented. It was for when a sports team traveled out of town. Otherwise it was walk or scrounge a ride. I usually hitch hiked.

Was it uphill, both ways?:banghead

Was it uphill, both ways?:banghead

Nope! Flat as a pancake. Other than down in the river valley where it flooded, the topography varied by about 10 feet up or down, MSL. As for that valley by the levee (we called it the dike), it has now been cleared of homes because they got tired of rescuing folks off their roofs. So it is now a big park. I still recall at age six, seeing Army Ducks operated by the National Guard rolling down the street and pitching over the 8th Avenue hill to rescue people, including some of my 1st grade classmates off the roofs of their houses. And that was 70 years ago.

The Earth is Flat

I know from living in Derby, Kansas. Yes, the Earth is flat. I proved that in the First Grade at Swaney Grade School; scientifically. On the playground, I climbed to the highest point on the monkey bars. Looked out in all directions; yep, flat as far as the eye can see. Just like being on the ground. Flat. The Earth is round is a big flat hoax. :nod

I know from living in Derby, Kansas. Yes, the Earth is flat. I proved that in the First Grade at Swaney Grade School; scientifically. On the playground, I climbed to the highest point on the monkey bars. Looked out in all directions; yep, flat as far as the eye can see. Just like being on the ground. Flat. The Earth is round is a big flat hoax. :nod

Did social distancing force some of the Flat Earth believers over the edge :)

Then- your mother dressed you appropriately for the upcoming days weather.

Now- the weather lady on tv tells you what to wear.

OM

Then- in high school, at the end of the day, somebody’s car had a dead battery and needed a jump.

Now- if the 3 year old SUV has a dead battery, the teen calls a parent……the parent is enraged that this could happen to “their” child and there is a discussion about “trading that piece of junk”.
OM

Then- in high school, at the end of the day, somebody’s car had a dead battery and needed a jump.

OM

lol.....What was a jump??..........For us, we gathered up a couple of guys and pushed 10 feet at 3mph and it started right up. That was if it was a standard. My 53 Pontiac 4 door was an automatic. Had to get up to more than 15 mph and off she went. Try that with an automatic now and see what you tear up.......

Then: 50 years ago, the biggest BMW was a 750 cc.

Now: The biggest BMW is an 1800cc. But it's still a boxer!

Last edited:
Then- Parent to child......Stay out of the street!

Now- Parents only walk, run, push a stroller- IN the street. after they change into dark clothing

:banghead

OM

OM

When the temperature drops below 50º, our neighbor starts the car, drives their 15-year-old to the end of of their 60 foot driveway, lets the car idle for ten minutes or so while they wait for the bus, then puts the car back in the garage.

She wonders why he's so fat.

Back