• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Then And Now

Pretty sure 10/75 was the last hard class. Last class with a POW camp.
—————————————————————-

YES! I knew you would jump on that bait like a desert phase ranger lunging for a stray tin of Copenhagen. I’m not sure if you got the memo but they extended the hard syllabus out to ‘89... ;). Ahh... I miss these conversations, you made me smile today sir, that’s a first for me for a couple of days now. Thanks ! :thumb

YES! I knew you would jump on that bait like a desert phase ranger lunging for a stray tin of Copenhagen. I’m not sure if you got the memo but they extended the hard syllabus out to ‘89... ;). Ahh... I miss these conversations, you made me smile today sir, that’s a first for me for a couple of days now. Thanks ! :thumb

So, was winter Ranger in Jan 1969 considered hard? I remember breaking through the ice during the initial swimming test. Took me an extra three weeks (12 vice 9) because I was recycled for the swim test. Yikes, I have not thought about those days in eons.

50 years ago you got on your bike wearing a lined jean jacket, blue jeans, cowboy boots and maybe some gloves.
Now it is all armor filled.
But both times a helmet!:blush

As for motorcycles, pretty much chains were the norm and now it’s “has to have shaft drive”.

Baloney. BMW boxers have had shaft drive since their inception in 1923. Even the early singles. BMW's first chain drive bike was the F650 from the 1990s ... it's the cheap solution.

Bicycle helmets.

I rode my bike to school.

One day riding home for lunch I found a Playboy magazine lying in the street. While "reading articles" and riding, I ran into a parked car. I'm still alive. Dual tasking was and remains impossible.

Baloney. BMW boxers have had shaft drive since their inception in 1923. Even the early singles. BMW's first chain drive bike was the F650 from the 1990s ... it's the cheap solution.

Then- threads for enjoyment and fun.

Now- repercussions on cost reduction, especially on liter machines.

OM

So, was winter Ranger in Jan 1969 considered hard? I remember breaking through the ice during the initial swimming test. Took me an extra three weeks (12 vice 9) because I was recycled for the swim test. Yikes, I have not thought about those days in eons.

Hats off sir! I was a winter ranger too. Started pre-ranger for regiment in January, graduated, bussed down the street to Darby Phase. I got recycled in Desert phase. 30 of the 33 of us who went through regimental pre-ranger got recycled, no fat left on us when we started. We would lose at least one a year usually to hypothermia. (In Battalion you were told, “Come back with it, or don’t come back at all.” When you went to ranger school from battalion is was an all or nothing, life or death endeavor.) In ‘95 Florida phase lost three in one night to hypothermia, but they were West Point cadets... so CSM Nethkin was tasked to come in and clean that business up.

Didn’t know we had more than two rangers on the forum. Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!

Then: Foot operated dimmer switches.
Now: Automatic High Beams.

Then: AM (or for the high rollers, AM/FM) radios.
Now: Apple Car Play

Then: Fill your gas tank through the filler neck behind your spring-loaded rear license plate.
Now: A charging port in the front fender.

Then: The Red Sox, Cubs, White Sox, and Indians will never win a World Series.
Now: Well, three out of four ain't bad.

Then, Open the hood ,pull of the plug wire , one socket , change plug ,re-attach wire. 5min.
Now , Open the bonnet, go to snap-on app. look up sett up, do circus act to get to igniter, 2hr.

Hats off sir! I was a winter ranger too. Started pre-ranger for regiment in January, graduated, bussed down the street to Darby Phase. I got recycled in Desert phase. 30 of the 33 of us who went through regimental pre-ranger got recycled, no fat left on us when we started. We would lose at least one a year usually to hypothermia. (In Battalion you were told, “Come back with it, or don’t come back at all.” When you went to ranger school from battalion is was an all or nothing, life or death endeavor.) In ‘95 Florida phase lost three in one night to hypothermia, but they were West Point cadets... so CSM Nethkin was tasked to come in and clean that business up.

Didn’t know we had more than two rangers on the forum. Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!

I never had a Ranger assignment, only the school. I graduated from Oklahoma State University as a DMG, was commissioned and given the choice of either Airborne or Ranger school, before I was shipped to Vietnam. Knew what airborne was, but had never heard of Rangers so ... off I went. I survived the training (only issue was swimming, but I managed to make it out of the water). Spent my year in Vietnam with the 173d Airborne Bde at Bong Son (get the irony? I chose Rangers instead of Airborne, but was assigned to a jump outfit?). In hindsignt, I believe the year in the jungle was easier than the three months in Ranger school.

Then: mix the 40 cent/quart oil with the 35 cent a gallon gas.

Now: $6 to $14 per quart oil in the engined using $2 to $4 per gallon gas.

Then: mix the 40 cent/quart oil with the 35 cent a gallon gas.

Now: $6 to $14 per quart oil in the engined using $2 to $4 per gallon gas.

Yes for sure: then was a 1961 Allstate Puch getting 430 miles to that quart of $.40 oil. If I was lucky, a "Deep Rock Oil" filling station at 10 cents per gallon during a gas war.

NOW: A replica wanna be at $24K getting 40mpg R18 keeps me dreaming to find my old R50 to rebuild. Doncha just love ex-wives that sell everything you own while you are gone.

50 years ago you got on your bike wearing a lined jean jacket, blue jeans, cowboy boots and maybe some gloves.
Now it is all armor filled.
But both times a helmet!:blush

51 years ago I got on my first bike a 500 Suzuki with my Bell Star full face helmet, Brooks leather jacket, Chaps don't remember the brand, Engineering boots & gloves.

Then- for mowing the lawn, long pants and leather boots/shoes.

Now- for mowing the lawn, shorts and bare feet. :eek

OM

Then: When someone offered you a beer, you usually had one choice and everyone drank what was there.

Now: When you sit down with friends, each has their own brand and type of beer. Case in point, yesterday four of us sat down and one had a Stella, one had an Omission, one had an Alaska Amber, and I had a Black Butte Porter. So many choices now....

Then: Mowing the Lawn

Now: No mowing. Just watching the birds and wildflowers in the desert

Then- Dad to Son, “it’s time to mow the lawn”.

Now- Son to Dad, “ok, I will call the guy”.

OM

Back