• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Then And Now

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
I seem to see some dramatic shifts in a number of perceptions. A number of perceptions that were looked at as “they only way to go” had been turned on their heels.
Some include-
Metal roofing- when only offered in a grey, galvanized finish it was for a shack. Add color and now it’s the best roofing for everyone’s home.
Online education- once looked at as an ad answered from the back of a TV guide, now (Covid) the way to go.
Owning your car- nobody rented (leased) a car unless they were at the airport.
We don’t seem to have puddles anymore. It’s now “street flooding”.

Many of these concepts seem to be flipped like a switch and gone to all or nothing. Maybe slick marketing? Maybe some are better? I see it all as “situational” with few “absolutes”.

As for motorcycles, pretty much chains were the norm and now it’s “has to have shaft drive”.

What have you seen Then And Now?

OM

Then: I joined BMWMOA and at rallies and gatherings there were old guys on /2 bikes but the majority of attendees were in or near my own age group.

Now: At rallies and gatherings the majority of attendees are still in my (now gray/silver-haired) age group and faces in the 30-40 age bracket are notable by their low numbers.
:(

Best,
DeVern

Sidewalks and neighborhood stores. Few subdivisions have walks. Days are past for walking down the block to the confectionary or meat market. You need a vehicle....preferably a European Moto!

Plenty of sidewalks and open neighborhood stores here in Arizona! You may need to walk a few miles from your house to get to them though...

Now: Don't breathe on anybody!
Then: After the candles were blown out, we all had a piece of cake.

Now: Sanitize everything!
Then: We played in the mud.

Most "cities" defined as incorporated municipalities even if really villages, do require sidewalks in residential areas,in their subdivision regulations which cover newly platted areas. Many townships and counties outside of incorporated cities do not requires sidewalks in their subdivision regulations if they have even adopted such regulations at all.

Last edited:
open neighborhood stores here in Arizona! ..

Most everything is open in Iowa.
Not many of the old style neighborhood stores in our area.
When I lived in Penn and NH, neighborhood stores were common. Usually grocery stores in old houses.
You could walk to the store with one of those 2 wheel wire baskets.
In DC we used to have a old school bus that made the rounds with groceries.

Then- The answer to everyone’s vacations- Time Share Properties.

Now- An entire industry dedicated to get you out of Time Shares.

OM

Here the debate is whether or not developers are required to put in roads in new subdivisions.

In the cowboy west:
Then, most vehicles encountered on the road were work p/u trucks with the driver raising a finger a to say howdy.

Now, the vehicles on those same roads are SUVs and luxury p/u and if the driver raises a finger it is most likely to convey a different message.

Then: County Bookmobiles making weekly stops in small towns throughout the county, and daily print newspaper showing up in the mailbox on the farm

Now: E-books purchased from online vendors and read on tablet or computer, and e-newspapers read online

Best,
DeVern

Boy Omega Man, you start some good topics! Since about 1990-2000 sidewalks most places now days it is round-abouts.
Belt drives for me but might have to go to chain again.
Pagers to flip phones to 5g cell phones. :lurk:type

Then- As a child, my brother travels in a wicker close-basket with a blanket.

Now- Child must be in a $200.00 safety seat installed by local police.....or the child is going to die.

OM

Then- As a child, my brother travels in a wicker close-basket with a blanket.

Now- Child must be in a $200.00 safety seat installed by local police.....or the child is going to die.

OM

Debbie was the youngest of eight.
She said her spot was standing on the hump in the back and hanging onto the rope across the back of the front seat.

Most "cities" defined as incorporated municipalities even if really villages, do require sidewalks in residential areas,in their subdivision regulations which cover newly platted areas. Many townships and counties outside of incorporated cities do not requires sidewalks in their subdivision regulations if they have even adopted such regulations at all.

I worked out of city hall in a city of ~80K. Sidewalks were a 'negotiated' piece of infra-structure. Upscale divisions always had sidewalks, both sides. Developers building more modest divisions would usually prevail with the argument that they (sidewalks) were too expensive for this "affordable" tract. Sometimes one side of walks, sometimes none.

Re: sidewalks

Then: people walked places, there were places to walk TO
Now: why walk, residential-only zoning and big-box-itis means neighborhood stores have gone the way of the dinosaur

Back