• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2014 GS-Crankshaft/Flywheel

avia8tur

Does anyone know when (month/year) during the 2014 GS production run BMW switched to the heavier crankshaft/flywheel? Sold my RT and switching back to the GS and I considering a 2014 but I’ve been told the 13s and “early14s” had issues with buzzing/vibration.

Yes, I searched but could not find this info.

Thank you in advance,

Tom

Welcome to the forum, Tom! I'm not very familiar with the model, but I usually go to the microfiche, in this case I went to RealOEM. I selected a 2014 R1200GS and found that the part number listed for the crankshaft is 11218530290. Click on that indicates that this part number was used in the R1200GS (and other models) out to 7/2018. It's not unheard of for BMW to use the same part number even if the part changed. But this seems to indicate that the part was used out to the summer of 2018. In the case of the R1200GS, it was used from 2011 to 2018. For the other models, it was first used later than that, like the R1200RS first had it in 6/2014.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...6-2014-K50-BMW-R_1200_GS_0A21_&diagId=11_5150

I appreciate you taking the time to run that search. I agree they sometimes continue with the same part number even with a change, in this case weight. I was hoping someone knew when they changed the weight. I know the bike was produced in 12/2013 which leads me to believe it’s an “early 2014” v. “Late(r) 2014”

Again, thank you for taking the time to research and thank you for the welcome

Tom

I would target a 2017 or 2018 year model. They have the improved transmission and standard OBDII port.

Love my early R1200GS LC wethead

I listened and learned about the '17 improvements and went with the first year, a 2013 GS, one that came with all the goodies, LED headlight, GPS mount, ESA, pro chip, . . . except what I don't want: Keyless, QuickShifter, Fancy Cam sliding mechanism (ShiftCam), more HPower, TV screen, Hill Assist,

I wonder if the smoother '17 trans is as bulletproof? As you loose something when you ramp the teeth for smoothness.

My clutchwork is pretty good and don't mind a stall from stopped once in while with the lighter flywheel / crankshaft. When rolling, the bike is so heavy, it acts as a "heavy flywheel."

I will admit that the early GS wethead heated grips, 8 Ohms were pitiful, so I paid a lot for the OEM 5.5 Ohm set to modernize my '13.

The light flywheel / crankshaft spins up and sounds great in neutral.

The light flywheel / crankshaft is lighter.

The light flywheel / crankshaft starts easier.

Hope this helps.

2013 r1200GS LC Barks a lot

I listened and learned about the '17 improvements and went with the first year, a 2013 GS, one that came with all the goodies, LED headlight, GPS mount, ESA, pro chip, . . . except what I don't want: Keyless, QuickShifter, Fancy Cam sliding mechanism (ShiftCam), more HPower, TV screen, Hill Assist,

I wonder if the smoother '17 trans is as bulletproof? As you loose something when you ramp the teeth for smoothness.

My clutchwork is pretty good and don't mind a stall from stopped once in while with the lighter flywheel / crankshaft. When rolling, the bike is so heavy, it acts as a "heavy flywheel."

I will admit that the early GS wethead heated grips, 8 Ohms were pitiful, so I paid a lot for the OEM 5.5 Ohm set to modernize my '13.

The light flywheel / crankshaft spins up and sounds great in neutral.

The light flywheel / crankshaft is lighter.

The light flywheel / crankshaft starts easier.

Hope this helps.

I see from your entry you ride the bike I do. I came to my current bike from a 2009 R1200R hex head. I notice my engine burbles a lot and has a lot of slight backfires (barks) when coasting to stops , etc. Don't get me wrong, it sounds really cool but I wonder if you notice the same thing with your bike. It's a good bit noisier with barks than my hexhead was. All this said, I love the bike !

I love my 2013 GS also. Not buzzy at all. Really snappy though haha, and does have a bit of a burble and pop through the Staintune pipe..

I have owned buzzy BMW's, lol. Like early K-bikes. Mine is smooth in comparison, and oh so quick.

Back