Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Great Falls, Fly & Ride

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    On the plus side you get to stop for ice-cream
    That was Tulliver. And a very expensive and time consuming training mistake. My current navigator, Glenlivet, has been trained to accept tennis ball retrieval as the ultimate treat. I donít picture Adam as a fetch sort of guy...
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet

http://travelswithbarley.com/

I love it. My Chessie will do anything for an ice cube, even bring the ball back.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    The ride from central or southern Utah can be a mellow enjoyable ride thru winding roads, or a sweltering blitz on I-15 to west central Montana. We have done both and the mellow route is much better.
    LOL ... yes ... totally agree! I was referring to the mellow enjoyable winding road route

And coming up through Teton Pass is extraordinary! I forget the grade level but the first time I did it I was shocked that there was a main highway with something like 12% grade!

Yellowstone / Grand Tetons is my wife's favorite place on the face of the earth and she loves to hike in both. So on "our" vacations we usually head there. She's been about 12 times and I've been about 6 or 7 times, once on a motorcycle. So we are familiar with flying into Denver and Salt Lake. We usually prefer Salt Lake but will occasionally fly into Denver. Both routes are nice and have their pros. If you are ever in need of lodging in Salt Lake area the Best Western in Sandy UT is great! Stayed there for the MOA Rally and then 2 times after and they love motorcycles and treat us great.

This was on the approach to Jackson coming through Teton Pass .....

2D8EE54B-2F58-4DDC-AF77-531EB09536E9.jpg

And the Best Western in Sandy UT ... they told us to park near the front door and they would watch the bikes for us !!

SAlt LAke .jpg
    Last edited by gsinnc; 01-11-2021 at 01:16 PM.
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Bike rental options:
    Twisted Road

Eagle Rider
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    That was Tulliver. And a very expensive and time consuming training mistake. My current navigator, Glenlivet, has been trained to accept tennis ball retrieval as the ultimate treat. I donít picture Adam as a fetch sort of guy...
    A tennis ball won't work for Debbie
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by R65_Steve View Post
    Maverick motorsports rents bikes.
    Where are they located?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Hey you never know

It would be a free ride!
    Ed Apelian

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Where are they located?
    It’s in Missoula. I did not know they rent bikes, but it appears they do.

https://www.mavmotorsports.com/defau...entalInventory
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    Personally I would not be comfortable riding another person's bike even if I were paying them for the opportunity to do so. I would be more comfortable renting from a dealer or rental agency and cost is close to the same. Actually for the 5 or so years I rented a Harley it was only about $100 a day plus $15 a day for damage waiver. Pretty sure my buddy was going to pay about $150 a day renting from the BMW Dealer in Vegas. Before I rented from an individual I would probably ship my bike for about $700 each way. Fortunately I am retired and can enjoy the ride from NC to Great Falls and beyond.
    Fair point, I will add my experience as I rent my motorcycles on Twisted-Road - https://www.twistedroad.com/users/U-XYG7KVX

They cover the bike renter for all damage, even total loss with the insurance. They also require a lot of verification from the owner & renter. insurance, photo IDs. When someone picks up my bike, I have to send in a photo of the person with their riding gear & helmet, their ID and insurance and take a photo of the odometer and a video walking around the entire bike for documenting any possible damage.

They pay me 24 hours after the bike is dropped off and communication is good.

Given my experience as an owner, I wouldn't mind being a a renter.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Itís in Missoula. I did not know they rent bikes, but it appears they do.

https://www.mavmotorsports.com/defau...entalInventory
    Thank you very much. I just sent them a message.

Quote Originally Posted by adamchandler View Post
    Fair point, I will add my experience as I rent my motorcycles on Twisted-Road - https://www.twistedroad.com/users/U-XYG7KVX

They cover the bike renter for all damage, even total loss with the insurance. They also require a lot of verification from the owner & renter. insurance, photo IDs. When someone picks up my bike, I have to send in a photo of the person with their riding gear & helmet, their ID and insurance and take a photo of the odometer and a video walking around the entire bike for documenting any possible damage.

They pay me 24 hours after the bike is dropped off and communication is good.

Given my experience as an owner, I wouldn't mind being a a renter.
    I totally understand your perspective and have read some of your positive experiences on other sites. That being said I would worry about MY own insurance and my OWN liability should something bad happen. While I would worry about the bike and how it might be used (or abused) the bigger issue would be liability. I am not sure what exposure the owner who is renting the bike to the renter might continue to have even if there is one insurance provided by the renter. But that is just me ... I am a very cautious and conservative person in general but I know that renting personal bikes has worked well for lots of folks.
    Ed Apelian

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    I totally understand your perspective and have read some of your positive experiences on other sites. That being said I would worry about MY own insurance and my OWN liability should something bad happen. While I would worry about the bike and how it might be used (or abused) the bigger issue would be liability. I am not sure what exposure the owner who is renting the bike to the renter might continue to have even if there is one insurance provided by the renter. But that is just me ... I am a very cautious and conservative person in general but I know that renting personal bikes has worked well for lots of folks.

Totally fair and I can respect that. Same goes for AirBNB. I rent my place out when I travel and have done it for 11 years. One time someone stole a pizza cutter, another time, some towels. AirBNB just cuts me a check for what was taken and then removes the user from the site.

But everyone has their own risk tolerance. Of the 4 women Iíve co-habited with, only 2 were okay with me renting my place out. So thatís 50/50