• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Great Falls, Fly & Ride

Great idea Adam!! I will be interested on fly & ride also, sounds like Denver is good location for pickup .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great idea Adam!! I will be interested on fly & ride also, sounds like Denver is good location for pickup .

Denver and Salt Lake are about the same distance but IMHO the ride from Salt Lake is a nicer ride.

In my case its even better !!! One day ride and better scenery!!! I’ll take it!![emoji106]

According to Google Maps by it's routing, it's about 770 miles from Denver to Great Falls, but about 570 from Salt Lake.

The ride from central or southern Utah can be a mellow enjoyable ride thru winding roads, or a sweltering blitz on I-15 to west central Montana. We have done both and the mellow route is much better.

On the plus side you get to stop for ice-cream :)

That was Tulliver. And a very expensive and time consuming training mistake. My current navigator, Glenlivet, has been trained to accept tennis ball retrieval as the ultimate treat. I don’t picture Adam as a fetch sort of guy...

The ride from central or southern Utah can be a mellow enjoyable ride thru winding roads, or a sweltering blitz on I-15 to west central Montana. We have done both and the mellow route is much better.

LOL ... yes ... totally agree! I was referring to the mellow enjoyable winding road route :thumb

And coming up through Teton Pass is extraordinary! I forget the grade level but the first time I did it I was shocked that there was a main highway with something like 12% grade!

Yellowstone / Grand Tetons is my wife's favorite place on the face of the earth and she loves to hike in both. So on "our" vacations we usually head there. She's been about 12 times and I've been about 6 or 7 times, once on a motorcycle. So we are familiar with flying into Denver and Salt Lake. We usually prefer Salt Lake but will occasionally fly into Denver. Both routes are nice and have their pros. If you are ever in need of lodging in Salt Lake area the Best Western in Sandy UT is great! Stayed there for the MOA Rally and then 2 times after and they love motorcycles and treat us great.

This was on the approach to Jackson coming through Teton Pass .....

2D8EE54B-2F58-4DDC-AF77-531EB09536E9.jpg

And the Best Western in Sandy UT ... they told us to park near the front door and they would watch the bikes for us !!

SAlt LAke .jpg

Last edited:
That was Tulliver. And a very expensive and time consuming training mistake. My current navigator, Glenlivet, has been trained to accept tennis ball retrieval as the ultimate treat. I don’t picture Adam as a fetch sort of guy...

A tennis ball won't work for Debbie :)

Hey you never know :dunno

It would be a free ride!

Personally I would not be comfortable riding another person's bike even if I were paying them for the opportunity to do so. I would be more comfortable renting from a dealer or rental agency and cost is close to the same. Actually for the 5 or so years I rented a Harley it was only about $100 a day plus $15 a day for damage waiver. Pretty sure my buddy was going to pay about $150 a day renting from the BMW Dealer in Vegas. Before I rented from an individual I would probably ship my bike for about $700 each way. Fortunately I am retired and can enjoy the ride from NC to Great Falls and beyond.

Fair point, I will add my experience as I rent my motorcycles on Twisted-Road - https://www.twistedroad.com/users/U-XYG7KVX

They cover the bike renter for all damage, even total loss with the insurance. They also require a lot of verification from the owner & renter. insurance, photo IDs. When someone picks up my bike, I have to send in a photo of the person with their riding gear & helmet, their ID and insurance and take a photo of the odometer and a video walking around the entire bike for documenting any possible damage.

They pay me 24 hours after the bike is dropped off and communication is good.

Given my experience as an owner, I wouldn't mind being a a renter.

Back