• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mileage reset

cuppycat

I have a 2020 r1250rs and have already had the first service. Im wondering how i would go about clearing the service due message when it comes up again. I can change my own oil.

Welcome to the forum.

I am assuming the R1250 is the same as my 2017 R1200. You have four choices as I know it. Have a dealer do it (will probably be 1/2 hour labor if they did not do the service; buy a Hex Code GS-911, this is a device that can read and clear codes, cycle the ABS pump, read a variet of values and facilitate the installation of new electronic parts like a TPMS sensor, cost around $400 or the Enthusiast model, buy a MotoScan, this is a set-up that uses an Android based smart phone to do much the same as the GS-911, costs around $120 to buy the parts and service (I have never used this device and I may not have all my facts straight); and lastly, live with it.

What AKBeemer said.

For MotoScan, you would be buying a decent Bluetooth OB2 scanner, and an adapter for the round BMW plug, then downloading Motoscan and upgrading it to Pro. (This is the route I am taking with my 2016 R1200R.)

+1 to what Kevin posted.

As an aside, I’m wondering if BMW cars or other brands of motorcycles require the same sort of consumer-unfriendly requirements to reset a service indicator? All of the Japanese or big-three auto marques I’ve owned that incorporated some kind of service reminder could be easily reset by the owner, via inserting the key in a special slot in the dash or by a button-press combo at the controls.

Best,
DeVern

As an aside, I’m wondering if BMW cars or other brands of motorcycles require the same sort of consumer-unfriendly requirements to reset a service indicator?

My Ducatis required the dealer to reset the "service required" indicator. As I changed my own oil, my dealer did it for free.

My Ducatis required the dealer to reset the "service required" indicator. As I changed my own oil, my dealer did it for free.

Yes, and the Ducatisti have had to resort to TuneBoy just like we BMW owners have had to go to hardware/software that was mentioned in post #2. :(

DeVern

What AKBeemer said.

For MotoScan, you would be buying a decent Bluetooth OB2 scanner, and an adapter for the round BMW plug, then downloading Motoscan and upgrading it to Pro. (This is the route I am taking with my 2016 R1200R.)

for the later RTs and other models you DO NOT need the "adapter for the BMW round plug" since they come stock with an OBD2 receptacle. The bluetooth OBD2 scanner runs about $65 and the software with the required update to level 2 (to allow reset options, etc) runs about $27 +$27 = $54. The whole thing for around 110 bucks and it works without limit for ALL BMW bikes. For older bikes (pre OBD2 receptacle) you will need the dongle for the service connector.

All of which points out why we need to support “right to repair” legislation any time it’s presented at state or national levels.

Best,
DeVern

But tools can be used over and over again, so their value goes up and their price is negated by what you've saved by doing it yourself.

But tools can be used over and over again, so their value goes up and their price is negated by what you've saved by doing it yourself.

So true. Guess that's why, being the cheap person I am, I have had to acquire a healthy supply of tools at this point.
As was pointed out, my Toyota's are reset with a turn of the key and a button. Does BMW feel most of us are too inept to change our own oil? I guess the dealer techs are better trained. Gosh, it seemed like such a simple job....

Back