• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2020 1250RT question

Wethead

The 1250 engine has been noted for so some peculiar noise...If you own a 2020, have come across any eccentric noise in the engine: like a tik or a pop coming out the exhaust (these are the ones I have seen on the forums

Having a 2019 R1250RT, I haven't paid much attention to the differences in the 2020 engine/exhaust and wasn't aware that there were any. Can someone identify if there are any and if so what?

As for complaints on the internet about noises or problems with anything. A word of caution.

My experience has been that one has to be extremely careful in trying to filter out the majority of responses and identify their quality. Very much like BMW transmission noise, where you can fine tons of threads on people complaining, and worrying about longevity/quality/etc. All of which ignore the fact that BMW transmissions have a proven track record of lasting as long or longer than most and that the noise is natural and no issue, except for those who are annoyed by the sound - which begs the question, "didn't they pay any attention to what they were buying?". The coolant seepage (Wetheads) also litters the internet with people overly concerned about a natural and expected situation. Ceramic bearings work great most of the time for water pumps but the downside to them is occasional, minimal seepage. That is why there is a seepage vent in the engine casing.

I'm not saying that there have been no issues with transmissions or water pumps, just that one has to almost climb to the level of scientific research to filter through all the noise on the internet on these topics.

The same will likely be true for noises specific to the 2020 MY unless there is a widespread issue. Therefore, remember to keep a keen eye on filtering through what is good feedback and what is not. Most will be anecdotal which is far more difficult to weigh. YMMV

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

I have 8k+ miles on my 2020 RT, with no problems.

If anything, the engine has gotten smoother, in fact.

Back