• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F800 GT - Replacing Melted Instrument Panel Bezel

philconard

Inquiring of this forum to see if anyone has any experience in disassembling F800-GT fairing to the point of gaining access to the back of the instrument panel. As the 'Title' subject suggests, I had the unfortunately luck of having my V-Stream windscreen melt a hole in the instrument panel cluster this past summer. While I was fortunate enough to have a great friend plastic weld the hole to get me through the remainder of the summer, I have purchased a new replacement bezel to bring it back to original condition. A small winter project for myself.

Based on my early disassembly, seems like I will need to removed headlight to get to back of the instrument panel mounts, but perhaps someone here knows something that I do not.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

p.s. Not a fan of the V-Stream windscreen.

Appreciated - Phil

I have a V Stream shield on my G310GS so am more than a little curious how the windshield ruined the instrument bezel on your bike. Can you please provide a little more detail?

Inquiring of this forum to see if anyone has any experience in disassembling F800-GT fairing to the point of gaining access to the back of the instrument panel. As the 'Title' subject suggests, I had the unfortunately luck of having my V-Stream windscreen melt a hole in the instrument panel cluster this past summer. While I was fortunate enough to have a great friend plastic weld the hole to get me through the remainder of the summer, I have purchased a new replacement bezel to bring it back to original condition. A small winter project for myself.

Based on my early disassembly, seems like I will need to removed headlight to get to back of the instrument panel mounts, but perhaps someone here knows something that I do not.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

p.s. Not a fan of the V-Stream windscreen.

Appreciated - Phil
Welcome to the forum!
This wouldn't happen to be some random "sun through the windshield magnifying" kinda deal- would it?
Enjoy the forum.
Gary

While I like the look and function of the V-Stream windscreen, I've come to learn through f800riders.com that this instrument melting phenomenon is more common than one would expect. In hindsight, I've been directed to the warning section of the V-Stream installation instructions which cites the following.

"Sunlight reflected off the inside curvature of the windscreen can, at certain times of day, cause extreme heat buildup on the motor- cycle’s instruments and possibly even melt them. Exercise care in parking to avoid this. Park your motorcycle facing the sun or place an opaque object over this area." - ZTechnik

Silly me for never reading the warning section.

Thx - Phil

Back