Thread: F800 GT - Replacing Melted Instrument Panel Bezel

Question F800 GT - Replacing Melted Instrument Panel Bezel

Inquiring of this forum to see if anyone has any experience in disassembling F800-GT fairing to the point of gaining access to the back of the instrument panel. As the 'Title' subject suggests, I had the unfortunately luck of having my V-Stream windscreen melt a hole in the instrument panel cluster this past summer. While I was fortunate enough to have a great friend plastic weld the hole to get me through the remainder of the summer, I have purchased a new replacement bezel to bring it back to original condition. A small winter project for myself.

Based on my early disassembly, seems like I will need to removed headlight to get to back of the instrument panel mounts, but perhaps someone here knows something that I do not.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

p.s. Not a fan of the V-Stream windscreen.

Appreciated - Phil

I have a V Stream shield on my G310GS so am more than a little curious how the windshield ruined the instrument bezel on your bike. Can you please provide a little more detail?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by philconard View Post
    Inquiring of this forum to see if anyone has any experience in disassembling F800-GT fairing to the point of gaining access to the back of the instrument panel. As the 'Title' subject suggests, I had the unfortunately luck of having my V-Stream windscreen melt a hole in the instrument panel cluster this past summer. While I was fortunate enough to have a great friend plastic weld the hole to get me through the remainder of the summer, I have purchased a new replacement bezel to bring it back to original condition. A small winter project for myself.

Based on my early disassembly, seems like I will need to removed headlight to get to back of the instrument panel mounts, but perhaps someone here knows something that I do not.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

p.s. Not a fan of the V-Stream windscreen.

Appreciated - Phil
    Welcome to the forum!
    This wouldn't happen to be some random "sun through the windshield magnifying" kinda deal- would it?
    Enjoy the forum.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

F800 GT - Replacing Melted Instrument Panel Bezel

While I like the look and function of the V-Stream windscreen, I've come to learn through f800riders.com that this instrument melting phenomenon is more common than one would expect. In hindsight, I've been directed to the warning section of the V-Stream installation instructions which cites the following.

"Sunlight reflected off the inside curvature of the windscreen can, at certain times of day, cause extreme heat buildup on the motor- cycle’s instruments and possibly even melt them. Exercise care in parking to avoid this. Park your motorcycle facing the sun or place an opaque object over this area." - ZTechnik

Silly me for never reading the warning section.

Thx - Phil

Yes ,it does happen on ST and GT models, check the F800 forum for advice.