• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Traveling Question - cross country in January

gsinnc

OK ... not sure where to post this but I know folks here will have great info. Thinking of driving (4-wheel style) from Charlotte, NC to Yellowstone NP the end of this month. Long story but wife has booked a "wolf discovery" deal with the NP. I am wanting to avoid flying but not sure it's worth the effort. How risky is the weather? I have some flexibility on time and route. I am thinking so long as there are no "active" snow storms the interstates should be OK.

Thoughts?

Ed -

Since this isn't really National Rally related or even Getaways, I think this would be better under Ride Reports. You're announcing a ride and looking for input. Seems like a better fit to me!

Thanks. Not really a "ride" but was looking for general travel advice. I agree not the best fit here but was not sure where it would get visibility.

I will repost it in another place or forum.

Thanks for the input.

Provided you stay situationally aware of the weather, and have a day or so to duck ice or snow as needed, this trip should work out just fine.

If there are Covid quarantine considerations in that direction, as there are up here in the northeast, it should be a long trip. :dunno
OM

Provided you stay situationally aware of the weather, and have a day or so to duck ice or snow as needed, this trip should work out just fine.

Thanks Paul! That was exactly my plan on both counts. And will stay on major roads for sure.

If there are Covid quarantine considerations in that direction, as there are up here in the northeast, it should be a long trip. :dunno
OM

Thanks and good thought. So far none that I an aware of but will check the CDC sites, although they are not always 100% current.

Yep, like the others have said, plan for bad weather, and extra day or two going out, and stay on the major roads and you will be fine. Run up I-90 to I-94 to Bozeman and down to Hot Springs. Many roads going into the park are closed in the winter. I doubt you can come in from the south.

With lodging at newly renovated Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel and pick-up at Bozeman airport you must have to enter at the NW entrance, I 90 from Billings west to 89 and then Gardiner to Mammoth Hot Springs. From Charlotte about 2200 miles and 30 hours driving.

With lodging at newly renovated Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel and pick-up at Bozeman airport you must have to enter at the NW entrance, I 90 from Billings west to 89 and then Gardiner to Mammoth Hot Springs. From Charlotte about 2200 miles and 30 hours driving.

Yes .. and good chance I will be going to Bozeman first anyway. The event is AT the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel

Thanks for the info on I90 and I94. My wife is signed up for all the alerts in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons so she got an alert today that the NE Entrance road is closed. Assume that is highway 14 out of Cody?

So what you are suggesting is pretty much this route .... unless bad weather.....

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 8.26.21 PM.png

Yes .. and good chance I will be going to Bozeman first anyway. The event is AT the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel

Thanks for the info on I90 and I94. My wife is signed up for all the alerts in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons so she got an alert today that the NE Entrance road is closed. Assume that is highway 14 out of Cody?

So what you are suggesting is pretty much this route .... unless bad weather.....

Yes, any road into the park will probably be closed if it isn't already. NE entrance is going through Cooke City highway 212. I would expect for 14 out of Cody to be closed too, or at least impassible through the park to Mammoth. Most of the park roads are closed in the winter. Pretty sure Bozeman and down will be your only option.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm

The roads from Cooke City, Gardenier and West Yellowstone are plowed all winter. Cooke City would be cut-off otherwise. We’ve ridden into the Park from Paradise Valley thru Gardiner and the Mammouth Gate in April 3-4 times. We spend our anniversary at Chico Hotsprings near Emigrant north of Gardenier. The road is normally open to Old Faithful; good to be there with 20 people instead of thousands. We ride out the West Yellowstone gate to get home, but park signage says the way to Cooke City is open.

Edit: Found this on the park website; we have always found the West gate open as well as the connecting roads to Tower Junction.

The only road open year-round to automobiles is from the North Entrance at Gardiner, Montana, through the park to Cooke City, Montana (via Tower Junction).

The roads from Cooke City, Gardenier and West Yellowstone are plowed all winter. Cooke City would be cut-off otherwise. We’ve ridden into the Park from Paradise Valley thru Gardiner and the Mammouth Gate in April 3-4 times. We spend our anniversary at Chico Hotsprings near Emigrant north of Gardenier. The road is normally open to Old Faithful; good to be there with 20 people instead of thousands. We ride out the West Yellowstone gate to get home, but park signage says the way to Cooke City is open.

Edit: Found this on the park website; we have always found the West gate open as well as the connecting roads to Tower Junction.

The only road open year-round to automobiles is from the North Entrance at Gardiner, Montana, through the park to Cooke City, Montana (via Tower Junction).

Thanks for all the info! Yes ... the Gardiner entrance is where we expected to enter. We stayed in Gardiner a few times and have always wanted to stay at Chico Hot Springs Resort but never made it. My wife has been to Yellowstone / Grand Tetons at least one a year for the past 10+ years. I have been about 7 times. But we have never gone in winter. Well ... she has once about 12 years back with 2 girl friends. We assume most of the park roads are shut down. Thanks for all the great info.

One question ... if I do drive .... based on the comments I assume to head home my only option would be back to Bozeman and then on I-90 east?

Since you'll be driving right past it, I'd suggest a stop at Teddy Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota. A lot quieter and another treasure . . .

Voni
sMiling

Since you'll be driving right past it, I'd suggest a stop at Teddy Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota. A lot quieter and another treasure . . .

Voni
sMiling

Thanks Voni ! My wife and I spent 3 days there 2 years back. We loved it !! My favorite or all was the hike past "prairie dog city" !! I love those guys. Oh and the wild horses!

We stayed in Medora which was really neat.

ND.jpg ND4.jpg ND5.jpg

One question ... if I do drive .... based on the comments I assume to head home my only option would be back to Bozeman and then on I-90 east?

Pretty much! When you leave you will need to go north out of the park. After that it depends on time and how adventurous you are, but if you are planning on heading straight back, I-90 east is about it. Summer time would allow more adventure, but I would be careful of the weather in the winter.

Certainly, if you feel adventurous you can head east, then south into Wyoming and take any of the well traveled two lane roads, but weather might be the deciding factor. You could head down to Cody, it is a tourist hot spot in the summer. Chief Joseph highway is open all winter if you wanted to see some beautiful mountains in the winter, but you will have to double back as it is a dead end road in the winter. One good stop is the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum. Then from there you are limited by time, weather and road conditions.

Once (if) you go south to Cody the routes east from there go high over the Bighorn Mountains which is dicey if even possible in the winter, even though 14A, 14, and 16 are some of my favorite roads in the summer.

Back