• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Traveling Question - cross country in January

Pretty much! When you leave you will need to go north out of the park. After that it depends on time and how adventurous you are, but if you are planning on heading straight back, I-90 east is about it. Summer time would allow more adventure, but I would be careful of the weather in the winter.

Certainly, if you feel adventurous you can head east, then south into Wyoming and take any of the well traveled two lane roads, but weather might be the deciding factor. You could head down to Cody, it is a tourist hot spot in the summer. Chief Joseph highway is open all winter if you wanted to see some beautiful mountains in the winter, but you will have to double back as it is a dead end road in the winter. One good stop is the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum. Then from there you are limited by time, weather and road conditions.

Once (if) you go south to Cody the routes east from there go high over the Bighorn Mountains which is dicey if even possible in the winter, even though 14A, 14, and 16 are some of my favorite roads in the summer.

Totally agree on both counts. Thanks for confirming the basic option home is I-90. I have been through Cody a few times and stayed there as well, it is one of my favorites as is Rt.14 into Yellowstone. But agree with Paul that 1) roads east from there go pretty high up and 2) they may not be open. I love Chief Joseph too but assumed that was a nonstarter this time of year. And for sure weather will be a big factor.

As of right now we have 2 first class tickets booked with miles so fully refundable if not used. I also have a AWD Rental car booked from Charlotte also fully refundable. So ... if weather looks good 3 or 4 days before departure I will make the drive and my wife will fly out and then ride home with me. If storms are brewing or it looks bad I will probably bite the bullet and fly.

Thanks for all the guidance and responses.

Ed, the usually pretty accurate "10 day" forecast is near, or through some of your itinerary. How's it looking?

Ed, the usually pretty accurate "10 day" forecast is near, or through some of your itinerary. How's it looking?

Well after much debate and anxiety my wife and I decided to cancel the trip. I did not want to fly (not too worried about the flight as we had first row first class seats booked) but was more concerned about dealing with schlepping through the airport. I was happy to drive and meet my wife in Bozeman but she was not happy about me driving all that way alone with the potential of winter weather and the recent winter storms across the plains did not help So sadly we have cancelled. But fortunately the folks at Yellowstone NP were great and agreed to refund out deposit. We really had conceded we'd lose the deposit but I told my wife to just ask if they will allow us to use the money for a trip later the spring. She did and they agreed to not only do that but refund the $1200 !! Flights were done with miles so that was easy and hotels were also easily cancelled.

But nonetheless I was a bit sad to not be embarking on this winter adventure.

And a big thank you to all here to provided suggestions and guidance. You guys are great and better than a AAA Triptic !!

Back