Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: The Celebration: Our Club's 50th Anniversary in 2022 National Rally - Springfield MO!

Quote Originally Posted by adamchandler View Post
    As with most of my opinions, they've long ago discussions that were resolved so I'm likely repeating past ideas that, for one reason or many others, were shot down…
    Whatever you do, DON’T stop with your opinions.

But in this instance, you’re right… we have gnoshed over this stuff for years. The short story is that our national rally is the product of 50 years of refinement as to “what works” (in the pragmatic sense), but there is still a ton of room for further creative refinement.

As people become more and more familiar with the logistics of our rally, they find that the way we do it is about as effective as it gets, assuming we don’t spend a butt-load of money to hire a professional events firm. And even then, I don’t think such an outfit could replicate our all-volunteer vibe.

At the risk of sounding negative my view is that we are killing our own vibe, for a number of reasons, none of which I am going to describe here.

Hopefully your ideas, and those of other younger people in our leadership, will not be met with “here’s why that won’t work” answers and instead receive “here’s how we can make that work” types of responses. We positively *must* attract more people like yourself to come to our events or we are going to die.

For the record here, I think it would really benefit us to engage in multi-year contracts with 3-5 known-good venues over a 10-year period, screw the beer revenue and find ways to keep commercial concessionaires from screwing our vibe. You would not believe how many good venues I’ve spotted (and others have, too) that weren’t considered because “we need to sell the beer.” Really glad to hear that we’ve gotten past that.

Changing the dates of our rally would be exceptionally difficult to the point that it makes sense to simply rule out areas in the SE and SW that are too hot. That said, a few years ago I found a *killer* place for a rally in Savannah, GA where everyone could camp in air conditioned comfort, you could buy a meal ticket for the weekend, race a track, ride off road, stay in a hotel, visit the tourist attractions, golf, fish, swim at the beach…

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I think it would be nice to find four locations that meet the requirements. One location for each region.
    They could have eight locations if they want four of the locations to be located in the southern parts of the four regions but they would need a spring or fall date for the southern spots.

It took forever to move the rally date ahead a few weeks. Most of us will be dead by the time they agree to move the rally date a few months
    Lee, hasn't the MOA settled on just 3 regions these days? If so, the MOA would only have to find three sites to rotate. That said, as one who's hosted many, many national rallies, I've found that going back to the same location -- even after a 10-year absence -- saw a significant drop-off of repeat attendees that second (or third) year, even at locations that received only praise the first time around. Another thing I found, things change, even going back to the "same" locations. Facilities change, local contacts change, hotels come and go (and deteriorate!), food service vendors disappear, sometimes not being replaced, roads change (not always for the better), areas become more congested (and less fun to ride!), and the list goes on and on.

I know it's a lot of work to find acceptable sites each year, but I personally like attending rallies in different sites. I can't hit every rally -- too many other interests -- but I really do like to visit different parts of the country. After this year's rally, I can now say that I've visited all 48 of the continental US, and have now either bicycled or motorcycled in all 48 states! Maybe someday I'll be able to add Alaska & Hawaii to this list.
    Last edited by jgoertz; 07-23-2021 at 02:23 AM.
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

Quote Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
    Lee, hasn't the MOA settled on just 3 regions these days?t.
    Maybe I started to consider Fargo as the 4th region
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
    I know it's a lot of work to find acceptable sites each year, but I personally like attending rallies in different sites. I can't hit every rally -- too many other interests -- but I really do like to visit different parts of the country.
    How about this… ? I can give you three different excellent routes to any of 3-5 destinations over 10 years.

It’s difficult to express how much it helps with logistics to work with the same venue 2-3 times.

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post

Hopefully your ideas, and those of other younger people in our leadership, will not be met with “here’s why that won’t work” answers and instead receive “here’s how we can make that work” types of responses. We positively *must* attract more people like yourself to come to our events or we are going to die.

For the record here, I think it would really benefit us to engage in multi-year contracts with 3-5 known-good venues over a 10-year period, screw the beer revenue and find ways to keep commercial concessionaires from screwing our vibe. You would not believe how many good venues I’ve spotted (and others have, too) that weren’t considered because “we need to sell the beer.” Really glad to hear that we’ve gotten past that.

Ian
    Very valid points.
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Maybe I started to consider Fargo as the 4th region
    Fargo is actually its own country!
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    Fargo is actually its own country!
    Dunno about Fargo, but at one time North Dakota held the world’s third largest nuclear Arsenal, so there’s that…

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Dunno about Fargo, but at one time North Dakota held the world’s third largest nuclear Arsenal, so there’s that…

Best,
    DeVern
    Yeah ....but NJ has the Mafia !! BAM !!
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Registering for 2022

I give up. I've been in all of the menus and event calendars on the website and skimmed this forum and I can not find a registration link. I've been told multiple times to register before 9/1 for the best deal, especially if you were at this year's rally. Can someone post a link, please?

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theshearers View Post
    I give up. I've been in all of the menus and event calendars on the website and skimmed this forum and I can not find a registration link. I've been told multiple times to register before 9/1 for the best deal, especially if you were at this year's rally. Can someone post a link, please?
    Welcome to the forum!
    A bit further down here in the Rally forum is this thread-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...ation-for-2022

Seems there has been some confusion but it does include some of the special deal advice for recent attendees.

Good luck.

Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    Thanks for including the link for everyone Gary.

And just to be clear; the "date" for conformance is until end of THIS Month... July 31st.
    "travel'n" John... on a 2015 R1200GS / MOA# 102452
    "Keep you a steady eye ahead, with a firm grip on the throttle, be ready with the brakes... for every mile of road, there are two miles of the ditch"
    (words of wisdom credited to fellow MOA rider Bill T.)

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    Good observation. So, just for the sake of the argument, what kinds of activities would be some combination of fun or educational to celebrate the 50th Anniversary? I expect that there are people working on this already, but maybe folks on the forum can come up with some good ideas?
    If we let them know now, maybe BMW could schedule us in and show up this time!! If they're not too busy🤣

Quote Originally Posted by jlcarr1 View Post
    If we let them know now, maybe BMW could schedule us in and show up this time!! If they're not too busy
    I heard the HD will be there with its adventure bike.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
    I heard the HD will be there with its adventure bike.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    That is likely to cause BMW to attend.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    That is likely to cause BMW to attend.
    ……….To have an intensive day-long seminar on the proper usages of anything that may resemble the BMW logo.

If there is time, brochures will be distributed.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200