• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Have you owned a K16 and an 1250RT or/and a Goldwing?

ec285ff2b5b7f8c3747a8df3aa0f7a03.jpg

Yep Both

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ec285ff2b5b7f8c3747a8df3aa0f7a03.jpg

Yep Both

A lot of money in that picture, even if you just count the optional wheels :D
Good looking bikes.
Was the piece of plywood needed to get the K1600 Bagger on the centerstand? I thought the K1600 had a power centerstand?

A lot of money in that picture, even if you just count the optional wheels :D
Good looking bikes.
Was the piece of plywood needed to get the K1600 Bagger on the centerstand? I thought the K1600 had a power centerstand?

Yes the plywood under the rear wheel made it much easier to get on the centerstand. No it had a powered reverse not a powered centerstand. Thank you for the compliment. The K1600B has been replaced with a R18 First Edition

Yes the plywood under the rear wheel made it much easier to get on the centerstand. No it had a powered reverse not a powered centerstand. Thank you for the compliment. The K1600B has been replaced with a R18 First Edition

That will make a nice pair of bikes.

yes

I have owned 2 gl1800 goldwings and 2 R1250rts. The goldwings amassed a total of about 430000 miles. I traded the last one in on a 2019 R1250RT and was struck by a drunk driver in a pickup truck. It was totaled and I replaced it with a 2020 RT just like the last one. So far no drunk drivers rammed into me on this one. Now that the first question has been asked I am wondering is there a follow up?

I have owned 2 gl1800 goldwings and 2 R1250rts. The goldwings amassed a total of about 430000 miles. I traded the last one in on a 2019 R1250RT and was struck by a drunk driver in a pickup truck. It was totaled and I replaced it with a 2020 RT just like the last one. So far no drunk drivers rammed into me on this one. Now that the first question has been asked I am wondering is there a follow up?

the question: is the 1250 smooth at 80-90 mph on the hwy? how doe it compare with the Wing at that speed

the question: is the 1250 smooth at 80-90 mph on the hwy? how doe it compare with the Wing at that speed

Where I usually ride the road is generally rough enough that a little motor vibration fades into the background. Think Texas Big Bend and rural New Mexico. This does not count the vigorous thumps provided by Oklahoma roads. :)

I can tell you how the R1250RT vibration at 80-90 mph compares to my old 2005 R1200RT. It's exponentially better. My 1250 RT is almost dead smooth at this speed. It's pretty much the sweet spot. I suppose it would compare pretty well the a K1600 or Wing. That being said, the 1250 is far smoother at any RPM than my R1200 ever was. When I sold the 1200 it had about 130k miles on it and was much smoother than it was new. The big improvement the 1250 has over the old 1200 is at higher speeds (>4500 RPM) and lower RPM (below 3000). Vibration on the 1250 never approaches anything remotely intrusive, but it does have some vibration when compared to a K1600 or Wing which happen to be the gold standard when it comes to smoothness.

Something else to remember if you do a demo ride on the R1250RT. The 1250 gets smoother as the miles go up.

Keep in mind that a boxer twin will never ever be able to be as smooth as a 6-cyl motor. Even the R1200R-LC is incredibly smooth at 80-90 and beyond, though. Just more wind in your face.

Back