• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1600 discontinued?

Triumph has released a number of Euro 5 compliant models already. Rocket 3, Tiger 900 range, Street Triple line-up and the Thruxton RS are all Euro 5-compliant.

No idea what Harley is going to do. Seems to me their current motors struggle meeting Euro 4 standards. They have incorporated "targeted" liquid cooling for the heads and top part of the cylinder like the 1250 boxers but it's only on their top end models and is optional I think. Seems to me they could better meet Euro 5 by putting the targeted liquid cooling on all their motors. Of course, this means Harleys will have to have a cursed radiator. If they keep it air-oil cooled like the R18 that means an unsightly larger oil cooler. Even then keeping the thing cool and have decent power is pretty much impossible. A 45 degree V Twin is a lot harder to keep cool than a boxer and continuing that design going in an air cooled/primary air cooled format is really impossible. At some point, Harley will have to go to liquid cooling to meet ever tightening emissions standards if they want the engines to have more power than a lawn mower. The R1250s get away with targeted liquid cooling and primary air cooling because they are longitudinally arranged boxers which are inherently easy to cool with air flow.

Back to the K1600. Long term, I think BMW have to revamp the motor to keep up. Right now, performance wise, the K1600 is about even with the 1250 RT. I number of K1600 riders have made the switch to the RT and I think the performance and increased smoothness of the 1250s is a big factor. I think this has or will kill the K1600GT. Maybe even the GTL. I think the K1600Bs will continue. That's just my opinion.

What I do know, is the K1600s have never sold as well as the boxers, and it was the R1250RT which got the new LED lighting, adaptive cruise control, and new 10.2 inch display. Not a K1600 model. This tells me that the the current K1600 iteration may be at the end of the line.
I'm not sure what fraction, if any, of Indian's sales are in the EU but their fully water-cooled Challenger engine may have an easier time meeting Euro5 than their air-cooled one.

By the time gasoline powered bikes have gone the way of the buggy whip, I'll be long dead. This bike is probably my last one. I'm closer to 70 than 65, not much interested in riding unless I can tour, and I can't think of a bike smaller than a GS that I'd be interested in touring on.

This seems a shame, to me. When I bought my bike I was torn between the RT and the GTL. The RT is so tall, the GTL felt better when seated, but the GTL weighed so much more, and the RT had the venerable Boxer engine that had always fascinated me. Since my plan was to RV and trailer to various locations around the country and then spend time riding those areas, and since I was already in my 60's and decidedly not getting younger, the RT won out. I can't say I've regretted it, but I love the look of the GTL still. I even considered having both, for awhile, but I've tried that before with my wife and myself owning 3 Harleys at once. Her Sportster, and my FXR and FLH. Too much insurance, maintenance, just too much.

See, BMW IS prepared to keep supplying two-wheeled transportation for it’s aging clientele! :laugh

DeVern

Will we want to buy them though? Like I should talk, I've had my RT 10 years now and don't see myself upgrading soon.

If BMW were to discontinue the 6.......

It would be the modern day equivalent of when they first introduced the Flat motor K bikes and tried to eliminate the boxers; It would blow up in their face. You don't see Honda considering discontinuing the Gold Wing; and if BMW discontinues the 6, I might be forced to go over to the dark side to own the only other 6 cylinder motorcycle.

It would be the modern day equivalent of when they first introduced the Flat motor K bikes and tried to eliminate the boxers; It would blow up in their face. You don't see Honda considering discontinuing the Gold Wing; and if BMW discontinues the 6, I might be forced to go over to the dark side to own the only other 6 cylinder motorcycle.

They got rid of the Slant Four K1300 engine. I didn't like it, but it didn't blow up in their face because there was not enough of us.

Can't remember for sure, seems like the K1300 was discontinued in 2017 and the first year for the K1600 was 2011 or 2012.
Anyone know the dates?
The post-a-picture of the 1600 started in June of 2011.
OM

Might be hard to find a decent Benelli 750/900 Sei, or a Kawasaki KZ1300 these days.
A few Honda CBX1000’s are still around, but those are appreciating and getting expensive!
Honda Gl1500 and 1800’s appear to be nearly impossible to wear out though and most will probably still be running well long after most of us are gone.

Last edited:
BMW ran a few special ones in 2011. They were a silver color if I remember right.

For the K1300GT BMW did release an “Exclusive Edition” that sold as a 2011 model. RealOEM shows 08/2010 as the last month of production, with a gap between that date and 05/2010. I’m not sure if regular production ended in May and the Exclusives were produced in August or if there were examples produced prior to August. I do know that when I bought my GT in October of 2010 there were plenty of them in the channel so long as you wanted Apple Candy Red. There is some history of BMW releasing special edition models as a model is being phased out—an example being the 1997 special edition K1100LT as that model was being phased out.

I’ve never seen a K1300GT Exclusive in the flesh.

Best,
DeVern

For the K1300GT BMW did release an “Exclusive Edition” that sold as a 2011 model. RealOEM shows 08/2010 as the last month of production, with a gap between that date and 05/2010. I’m not sure if regular production ended in May and the Exclusives were produced in August or if there were examples produced prior to August. I do know that when I bought my GT in October of 2010 there were plenty of them in the channel so long as you wanted Apple Candy Red. There is some history of BMW releasing special edition models as a model is being phased out—an example being the 1997 special edition K1100LT as that model was being phased out.

I’ve never seen a K1300GT Exclusive in the flesh.

Best,
DeVern

You are correct. The K13GT was one fine bike. I had one for few years. Wish I had it back.

Is the K1600GT discontinued?

Bumping this post to see if any news.

It is now April and there are plenty of 2021 K1600s at dealers except the GT. However, the motorrad website shows only the 2020 GT and others are 2021. Local dealer has one or two 2020 GTs only--I'll check with them on my next visit to get the story if any. Wonder if anyone here has seen any updates.

Back