• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Thinking/Planning on attending my first MOA Rally

enriquez

Hello folks,

I'm thinking about attending my first MOA Rally next year. Still no sure if I would be able to pull it out, but thats whats planning is all about, right?

Given that I would be leaving from my home in Guatemala, Central America, it would be a 7000 miles round trip aprox. It is going to be my longest trip by far, If I manage to make it.

Given my work schedule, I wont be able to allocate the time need for this trip in one lot, so I would most likely do it in stages. The first stage should be to ride across Mexico in 5~6 days to reach Fort Worth, TX and leave the bike in storage, somewhere, for a couple of weeks, and the second stage would be from Forth Worth, TX to Great Falls, MT. And the do it in reverse to get back home.

According to Google Maps, the route from Forth Worth, TX to Great Fall, MT is about 1600 miles across Colorado and Utah. I would plan to do it in three days, probable arriving late to pitch a tent in the rally campgrounds, relax for the remaining of the rally and then go back to Forth Worth, across the same route.

Not being familiar with riding in the USA, I have no idea if this is a viable schedule and if the weather (still cold across Colorado that time of the year?) could hinder my plans.

Also, I plan to camp half the time while in USA territory...

What do you think of the plan? Any advice? Is the time reasonable or just to short?

By the way, my ride would be a 2012 R1200RT.

Regards,
Mario

Mario; first... Thanks for planning to join us in Montana!

You have a plan that could work, although most of us would not do it as you've planned.

The time allotted from Texas, up and back is "aggressive". Just two more travel days would be considerably better.

Nice weather would be a big factor in your enjoyment; read that as no thunderstorms delaying your travel.

As a general rule, with the numerous routes/choices we enjoy in the USA... riders here seldom take the same road both ways, especially on long distances.

You will simply be having thoughts of... why am I not "over there".

I will recommend this; arrive at the Rally not later than Wednesday evening. Sunday morning arrives quickly when you've just finished 1600 miles in 3 days!

Wishing you a great and safe ride; see you in Great Falls!

Thanks for your advice, I would add to days to the planning as you suggested.

Checking the weather for TX, CO, WY an MT I see low chances of Thunderstorms, but it is better to allow some time for unexpected thunderstorm or breakdown, tire pucture, etc.

Regards,
Mario

Ship your camping gear if your not going to camp along the way

Don't know how problematic shipping is from your country but the rally typically has arrangements for shipping camping gear to the rally and holding it for your arrival. If your not going to camp along the way this would reduce the amount of luggage you need to haul. At the end of the rally you ship your camping gear home.

Hope you can make it to the rally.

I hope to be able to buy you a refreshment of your choice at the beer garden.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

The time allotted from Texas, up and back is "aggressive". Just two more travel days would be considerably better.

!

Good suggestion. Two more days each way will allow him to take two lane roads. There's a lot of good roads, scenery and points of interest between Texas and Montana.
When traveling back roads you're more apt to meet locals who can suggest interesting spots or good places to eat and stay.

Sounds like an adventure for sure. You should carefully read the following website regarding the dangers of travel in Mexico: https://travel.state.gov/content/tr.../traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

You might also watch "Long Way Up" (See:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Way_Up) if it's available in Guatemala. Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman made a 13,000 mile trip on motorcycles, and when they crossed Mexico, they had real concerns about safety and spent a lot of time riding in a converted school bus.

Don't know how problematic shipping is from your country but the rally typically has arrangements for shipping camping gear to the rally and holding it for your arrival. If your not going to camp along the way this would reduce the amount of luggage you need to haul. At the end of the rally you ship your camping gear home.

Hope you can make it to the rally.

I hope to be able to buy you a refreshment of your choice at the beer garden.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

Great tip Wayne, I was aware this service was available to Rally goers. Thank you!

If I manage to make it to the rally, the drinks are on me.

Regards,
Mario

Sounds like an adventure for sure. You should carefully read the following website regarding the dangers of travel in Mexico: https://travel.state.gov/content/tr.../traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

You might also watch "Long Way Up" (See:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Way_Up) if it's available in Guatemala. Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman made a 13,000 mile trip on motorcycles, and when they crossed Mexico, they had real concerns about safety and spent a lot of time riding in a converted school bus.

Thank you for the word of caution, it really is a concern that does play a roles on the planning...

On the other side, have you check the travel warning for Guatemala? Seem like I'll be safer in Mexico... :laugh

Regards,
Mario

If your intent is to "attend the Rally" and you don't really care that much about sight-seeing around the western half of the USA, I believe your original itinerary is very doable--easy even. Our interstate system here is great and you can do 600-750 miles per day and still be in a motel before dark each day. Most of us here on the forum have done that many times, although we usually prefer to meander along back roads and see some of the countryside while we ride.

If your time is short and you just want to get from Point A (Fort Worth) to Point B (Great Falls), then I believe your plan is fine as is.

Good luck.

First Rally

I found one down side after attending my first rally, I had so much fun met so many nice people I want to go every year now. This is a downside I can live with but be warned. ;)

My first BMW rally was the last one in Tennessee and I had a great time, I'm sure you will too.

As for myself I always camp on my trips or accept the kindness of strangers. Do you know the forum ADVrider.com? There is a tent thread on there where people offer up places to pitch your tent etc. I have used this resource very successfully and I have offered my hospitality to many inmates who come my way. Undoubtably you would find plenty of places along your route.

As for Mexico I have friends that spend a lot of time in that country and they tell me that most of the country is fine with only a few trouble spots. There will be threads about it on ADV and you should be able to find people there to give you first hand information.

ADVrider is one of the best resources in the world for travel information anywhere. Horizons Unlimited is another very good resource for long distance travellers.

What city do you live in? Feel free to PM me if there's anything I can do for you.

Happy Trails!

Mario,
I’m looking forward to seeing you at your first rally in Montana; however you get there. Look me up when you get there, first beer’s on me, I’ll be in the beer garden on Saturday at high noon.

My first BMW rally was the last one in Tennessee and I had a great time, I'm sure you will too.

As for myself I always camp on my trips or accept the kindness of strangers. Do you know the forum ADVrider.com? There is a tent thread on there where people offer up places to pitch your tent etc. I have used this resource very successfully and I have offered my hospitality to many inmates who come my way. Undoubtably you would find plenty of places along your route.

As for Mexico I have friends that spend a lot of time in that country and they tell me that most of the country is fine with only a few trouble spots. There will be threads about it on ADV and you should be able to find people there to give you first hand information.

ADVrider is one of the best resources in the world for travel information anywhere. Horizons Unlimited is another very good resource for long distance travellers.

What city do you live in? Feel free to PM me if there's anything I can do for you.

Happy Trails!

Hi Skybum, I'm been a inmate on advrider from several years now, and have see the subforum you mention (tentspace) but have not check it out yet. Next I'm there I will explore it.

I'm in the outskirts of Guatemala city. I you plan to visit here some day, let me know I can show you around.

Regards,
Mario

Mario,
I’m looking forward to seeing you at your first rally in Montana; however you get there. Look me up when you get there, first beer’s on me, I’ll be in the beer garden on Saturday at high noon.

Thank you Reece, I hope I manage to make it.

Thanks for the offer, I'd love to take a ride down that way. I'm on page 6 of the tent thread if you want to see my post there.

Even funnier I think I'll still beat you for distance getting to the rally as they judge the distance from your driver's license to the rally location. From Guatemala City it shows up as 5254 km's and from my house it shows up as 5764 km's.

On the budgeting side... How much do you guys usually expend on a motorcycle trip road trip across the US?

I know each one has different travel preferences (tolerance??) , and that make it hard establish an amount...

However, I believe my preference are pretty average, not extravagant nor too frugal...

In the following expenditures how do you do?

1.Mixed camping/hotel (For every two camping night I would do a motel or one night camping and one night hotel), weather allowing...
2.On daily meals, I don't mind eating at has stations, etc. but like to have one good meal a day (usually dinner) with a few beers... :beer
3.Gas? How much do you average? Oil cooled boxers (camhead)

Thanks for you advice!

Regards,
Mario

Thanks for the offer, I'd love to take a ride down that way. I'm on page 6 of the tent thread if you want to see my post there.

Even funnier I think I'll still beat you for distance getting to the rally as they judge the distance from your driver's license to the rally location. From Guatemala City it shows up as 5254 km's and from my house it shows up as 5764 km's.

On the advrider.com subject, I forgot to mention a did a couple of short ride reports with daugthers...

You can click on each title, and it would take you there...

1. Father and Daughter first road trip

2.Father and Daughter first road trip. Sofia's turn

Regards,
Mario

Thanks for putting up your RR's. Thankfully on this forum they will let you post links to other forums which some forums will not let you do.

I forgot to tell you to get to the tent thread map thread so you can open it up and see where people are along your proposed route. I found using the Map to be very helpful in planning which way I was going to go day by day. I will recommend getting in touch with any prospective hosts as early as you can as not everyone in seeing the online contacts every day.

Back