• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Time to downsize to a midsize MC

grabcon

Like all of us things are changing and for me that means that I need to downsize for numerous reasons, but here is where I am at and here is where I want to go. My wife and I full-time RV and haul two motorcycle with us. Hers is a 2014 F700GS mine is a 2016 Honda VFR1200X. The majority of our riding is pavement with the occasional dirt road. We have not done any fire roads, two track, single track, etc. So the VFR for me is a great bike and does mostly what I ask of it and on pavement it is fabulous. But I am 68 and it is time to move to something a little lighter. The VFR comes in at 608 which seemed light when I came from the ST1300. But the wife's F700GS feels like a kids toy as compared to those two bikes. So where am I headed is I have narrowed things down to either a F700GS or a F800GS.

I have ridden the wife's bike a bit and it is fine but I must say I feel a little crowded on the ergonomics. I am 5'10" by 215lb. Even with an Air-hawk seat on my VFR I can flat foot as a measure so on the 700 with the comfort seat knees a really bent. I only use flat foot as a measure because that's what people think they need to do. I normally only have one foot on the deck when stopped. Meaning that a taller bike is not an issue. So I have a couple of questions since some research I find difficult to find answer for. FYI I am budget restricted to about $9k.

From 2014 until the 750 and 850 came out were there years of the F700GS and F800GS where there were significant differences and if so what?

Between the 700 and the 800 is there a major difference in handling on the pavement? We ride typically less traveled roads with you know this things they called curves and avoid slabs.

Lastly I have seen articles on going tubeless on the 800 for pavement riding. Are there issues with the standard front rim and tubeless tire on pavement? Those article that I have seen don't seem concerned as long as standard tire pressure is maintained.

Thanks

There weren’t any significant functional changes to the F700/800 GS series bikes from 2014 on. The main question is: do you plan to do much real off-road riding? If so, you would want the F800, with its taller suspension, 21 inch front wheel, spoked wheels and protective guards, etc. if not, the F700 is probably the better road bike. The engine performance is basically the same, although the 800 has a bit more top-end kick, if that matters to you.

I'd second the 650 V Strom...only modification my former one needed was a rear sprocket change that lowered top gear (highway) rpm by 400-500 revs. A very capable bike with proven reliability.

I believe there are at least 4 different height “stock” seats that fit the 700/800, so you can get some adjustability there with some research. Bar risers are also readily available and another good way to make any bike fit you better. If your wife’s bike is a low model try cranking the rear shock preload up ALL the way to see how that feels. I personally prefer cast wheels for street use. They are often straighter and tubeless is a good thing for the eventual flat.

The wee-strom is an excellent bike but i enjoy the 700, too. In the end it comes down to personal preference. Have fun making your choice!

I missed the link in your story that explained why you think you need a GS. You don't ride off-road you say, and you are on a really fine Honda. Why not simply get a smallish road bike? Say, something like a RNineT if you want more power, or a F800-series BMW, either an R model or a GT model. Those are less weight than your VFR. My F800ST weighs less than 450 lbs (owner's manual says 434). Nothing wrong with a GS if that's what you want, but it sounds like your riding does not require the size/height.

Good luck.

Royce I have had the ST1100 and the ST1300 Hondas, although the are good bikes from a reliability point of view I honestly didn't like the ergonomics. Maybe the F800GS isn't there right bike but going to a straight road bike won't cut it either.

Even though the wife and I haul the bikes in the RV we still put on nearly 15k miles a year on the bikes. The riding position of my current VFR has great ergonomics for me. It has more power than one needs and handles great. But dropping 50hp to a mid-size will be a learning curve. I do like the upright riding position and a high saddle.

Finding something new is always a struggle.

Any dealer worth their salt will give you a test ride. I have ridden the 2019 F750GS and really loved it, handles highway speeds great, but is light enough for gravel. Having said that I have an older 06 F650GS, which I alo like. I have ridden a F350GS and thought that would be a good bike for when I need something lighter. Go to the dealer, test ride a few. If the dealer wont let ya go to another dealer. In Oregon that test ride at all dealers. In Tigard I test rode for 2 hours!

Any dealer worth their salt will give you a test ride. I have ridden the 2019 F750GS and really loved it, handles highway speeds great, but is light enough for gravel. Having said that I have an older 06 F650GS, which I alo like. I have ridden a F350GS and thought that would be a good bike for when I need something lighter. Go to the dealer, test ride a few. If the dealer wont let ya go to another dealer. In Oregon that test ride at all dealers. In Tigard I test rode for 2 hours!

Not quite sure I agree with this one. Over the years I've had a few dealers refuse a test ride, but ... the secret seems to be how you present yourself at the dealership. When I show up in ATGATT they always offer a ride, sometimes even before I ask. Like orforester, I have been able to ride almost any bike I want, sometimes for quite a long ride. Once they know and trust me.

Good luck.

How do the above bikes compare regarding vibration at roadway speed say 75 mph, and passing speed?

E.

I'll throw out my suggestion for the new F900XR if really don't need off road capability. Weight comes in between the old F700GS and the new F750GS, the suspension travel is the same at 170mm/172mm, better fork and brakes, carries a little more fuel (barely), and has better road/touring tire options than either with 17" wheels front and rear (120/70 and 180/55). It's basically GS ergonomics in a road bike and with enough suspension to still be fine on fire roads, and with more hp and torque. I switched from an 800GS to the 900XR over the summer and have been really happy with my choice.

There weren’t any significant functional changes to the F700/800 GS series bikes from 2014 on.

2016+ gained throttle by wire and some optional, additional riding modes.

I'd take an F800 over a VSTROM 650, but I'm sure a lot of my assessment was because the F800 was set up for me, vs a stock VSTROM.

I've had a 2013 Suzuki 650 vstrom and they are an excellent bike for solo riding. Price is pretty attractive and they have proven to be dependable. My wife and I road our 650 for a 2 week road trip and in spite of being overloaded it handled the trip without complaint.

Another one to check out, a bit smaller than your 700 gs, is the Honda CB 500X, 2019 & up. I took one for a test drive and was really impressed with its road manners. It only has 50 hp but is really light, so for its size has a fair amount of get up and go. I wouldn't consider this one an interstate bike, but for just about anything else it would work well.

Lots of choices out there and I have nothing against the 700-800 gs, and have even toyed with the idea of getting one

700gs is a kids toy. Wow, wish I had known that. Rode mine from Germany to Russian border 3 years ago at age 82. Was with 2 guys a year older than me tho they were on big boys 12gs's.

Lots of choices out there and I have nothing against the 700-800 gs, and have even toyed with the idea of getting one

If this is what some are getting wadded up over-

“Toyed with the idea”, from Merriam-Webster-

toy with- phrasal verb

toyed with; toying with; toys with
Definition of toy with
1 : to think about (something) briefly and not very seriously
I toyed with the idea of moving to France but ended up staying here.
2 : to move or touch (something) with one's fingers often without thinking
She toyed with her hair while she talked on the phone.
3 : to deal with or control (someone or something) in a clever and usually unfair or selfish way
Do you really love me, or are you just toying with me?
Don't toy with my emotions.

:dunno
OM

Back