Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1985 K100RS Remus exhaust.

Very nice. Looks to be mounted secure.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlcccvrs View Post
    The solution was easier than expected. After a brief wander around the aisles of a Home Depot I found a square u-bolt. The ovate holes in the plate were the diameter I needed and spaced correctly. I didn't have to do anything other than place it in a vice and tap an angled bend to it as the mounting points are offset. Now I have the second mount I wanted. Couldn't have been any easier.

Nicely done for peace of mind!
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

A little more drama to my Remus exhaust. As is, it doesn't fit correctly. Basically the center stand doesn't contact the rubber stopper on the underside and hits the bottom of the pipe. See image below. My previous images show how it is mounted now which is too far outboard and actually has the whole thing on an angle outwards.

Of course I'm wondering just how complicated can it be mounting an exhaust system, right? There was something that wasn't right. So after taking a bunch of images and editing them with text, etc, in Paint 3D, I contact Remus directly asking for help. And I got my answer. It would appear that the system is designed for the later style exhaust rubber mount which came into effect on 09/1985. That's not stated anywhere. My bike is an 03/1985. To mount it correctly I need part #9 which, luckily, is still available. This will allow the exhaust to sit farther inboard and then the center stand will make contact with the rubber. I believe the rubber mount attaches to the two socket head screws (60mm center to center) where the lower part of the left hand luggage case holder is attached and NOT the location of the original exhaust which is the footpeg bracket. Would someone be able to confirm that for me and that it is also 60mm center to center? Much appreciated.

Last edited by mcmlcccvrs; 01-24-2021 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlcccvrs View Post
    A little more drama to my Remus exhaust. As is, it doesn't fit correctly. Basically the center stand doesn't contact the rubber stopper on the underside and hits the bottom of the pipe. See image below. My previous images show how it is mounted now which is too far outboard and actually has the whole thing on an angle outwards.

Of course I'm wondering just how complicated can it be mounting an exhaust system, right? Am I stupid, incapable.......? I was neither, but there was something that wasn't right. So after taking a bunch of images and editing them with text, etc, in Paint 3D, I contact Remus directly asking for help. And I got my answer. It would appear that the system is designed for the later style exhaust rubber mount which came into effect on 09/1985. That's not stated anywhere. My bike is an 03/1985. To mount it correctly I need part #9 which, luckily, is still available. It consists of two parts according to the parts fiche. This will allow the exhaust to sit farther inboard and then the center stand will make contact with the rubber. I believe the rubber mount attaches to the two socket head screws (60mm center to center) where the lower part of the left hand luggage case holder is attached and NOT the location of the original exhaust which is the footpeg bracket. Would someone be able to confirm that for me and that it is also 60mm center to center? Much appreciated.

This would explain why the rear mounting bracket with the new exhaust only has one hole. If I can get enough light in my garage to shoot a photo I will, but it's been pretty dark the last few days.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Just an update with respect to the rubber exhaust mount, item #9. I incorrectly stated that it consists of two parts; it doesn't. It would appear that 18 21 1454981 is superseded by 18 21 1454982 or the reverse. I don't know if they changed the part somehow or just the part number.