• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1985 K100RS Remus exhaust.

mcmlcccvrs

I have to say I don't care for how this system mounts. The bracket on the silencer has two holes to mount it to the silencer, but there is only one mounting hole on the bracket to attach it to the bike. You can see the bracket to the right of the rear footpeg, underneath the two rubber mounts used by the stock exhaust. The Remus only uses the mount immediately to the right of the rear footpeg. Quite frankly, I think this is a little flimsy for such a top-quality system.

vkSW5y.jpg

uZSqQh.jpg

Where did you get that system? All I see in the Remus on-line listing are exhausts for mid-2000 and later BMW bikes.

Personally, I wouldn't think it needs any more than the one bolt to hang from. That is pretty much all the mount does, is hang the exhaust from it. With the head pipe connected, all it needs is a sky hook to keep it in place.

If you feel the need take to to a welding shop and weld a stainless tab to line up with the second hole.

I know, you shouldn't have too, but I don't think you need to either.

Personally, I wouldn't think it needs any more than the one bolt to hang from. That is pretty much all the mount does, is hang the exhaust from it. With the head pipe connected, all it needs is a sky hook to keep it in place.

If you feel the need take to to a welding shop and weld a stainless tab to line up with the second hole.

I know, you shouldn't have too, but I don't think you need to either.

Sure. Fair comment. But why not make a bracket to utilize both original mounting points? Also, in the second photo you can see how far out the Remus sat initially. While I was able to slip off the stock pipe and slide the Remus on up to the same location on the header pipes without loosening the headers, it does ultimately require undoing the header nuts to pivot the four pipes outward so that the mounting bracket is up against the rubber mount. I will replace the 4 exhaust gaskets because of that.

mcm:

The Remus on my R1200ST has a single (back) mount. It's been solid for about 6 years.

Consider that on your bike you've got 4 mounting points at the front plus the back mount. And they're really light. My system is 11 kg less than the stock one.

Years ago the original mount for the Remus muffler on my K1100RS failed, I ended up fabricating one. Can't find a picture showing it right now but maybe tomorrow I can snap a couple

Years ago the original mount for the Remus muffler on my K1100RS failed, I ended up fabricating one. Can't find a picture showing it right now but maybe tomorrow I can snap a couple

Hi Mike,

It would be interesting to see what you came up with. I am going to see if I can come up with something. I don't have welding skills so what I'm thinking about is making a bracket, drilling a second hole in the Remus bracket and bolting it on to the second, unused stock mount. It won't be stainless and it probably won't be pretty, but....... I know that the Remus is considerably lighter than stock, but BMW did use two mounts and not one. After all, stock or aftermarket, the whole thing is only held on at the header studs and the mount(s) by the rear pegs.

Tom

I recently installed a Staintune on my K75, and found that it mounted exactly like the stock muffler. Gives me confidence that it will stay in place.

I recently installed a Staintune on my K75, and found that it mounted exactly like the stock muffler. Gives me confidence that it will stay in place.

The K75 silencer is smaller, lighter and only uses one stud to mount it, correct? The stock K100 unit is larger, heavier, and uses a bracket with two bolts to the silencer and then has two holes for mounting it to the footpeg bracket. Remus should have followed suit in my opinion.

The Staintune K75 muffler is lighter than stock, but actually appears to be about the same length. The mounting bracket is compatible with the BMW original mount. In other words, it uses the two bolt bracket, and fits much like the stocker.

I elected to skip the “ robust” BMW muffler gasket at the inlet, and instead, applied a coating of copper adhesive.

The K75 silencer is smaller, lighter and only uses one stud to mount it, correct? The stock K100 unit is larger, heavier, and uses a bracket with two bolts to the silencer and then has two holes for mounting it to the footpeg bracket. Remus should have followed suit in my opinion.

As I don't have machine shop skills or equipment, can't weld......., this is my solution. I used a piece of card-stock to make myself a template which I will then replicate from a piece of aluminum of about the same width but not as long obviously. I'll drill appropriate sizes holes including another one where the blue circle is which will serve to help hold the aluminum "strap" tight to the Remus bracket.

ZWrAG2.jpg

I installed a new Remus system (complete with header pipe) in 2005 and 25,000 miles ago and have had no problems with the original single mounting point. Just sayin'. Do what you feel you must.

Frank

The solution was easier than expected. After a brief wander around the aisles of a Home Depot I found a square u-bolt. The ovate holes in the plate were the diameter I needed and spaced correctly. I didn't have to do anything other than place it in a vice and tap an angled bend to it as the mounting points are offset. Now I have the second mount I wanted. Couldn't have been any easier.

U9B4pn.jpg

Very nice. Looks to be mounted secure.

The solution was easier than expected. After a brief wander around the aisles of a Home Depot I found a square u-bolt. The ovate holes in the plate were the diameter I needed and spaced correctly. I didn't have to do anything other than place it in a vice and tap an angled bend to it as the mounting points are offset. Now I have the second mount I wanted. Couldn't have been any easier.

U9B4pn.jpg

A little more drama to my Remus exhaust. As is, it doesn't fit correctly. Basically the center stand doesn't contact the rubber stopper on the underside and hits the bottom of the pipe. See image below. My previous images show how it is mounted now which is too far outboard and actually has the whole thing on an angle outwards.

bFSCWZ.jpg

Of course I'm wondering just how complicated can it be mounting an exhaust system, right? There was something that wasn't right. So after taking a bunch of images and editing them with text, etc, in Paint 3D, I contact Remus directly asking for help. And I got my answer. It would appear that the system is designed for the later style exhaust rubber mount which came into effect on 09/1985. That's not stated anywhere. My bike is an 03/1985. To mount it correctly I need part #9 which, luckily, is still available. This will allow the exhaust to sit farther inboard and then the center stand will make contact with the rubber. I believe the rubber mount attaches to the two socket head screws (60mm center to center) where the lower part of the left hand luggage case holder is attached and NOT the location of the original exhaust which is the footpeg bracket. Would someone be able to confirm that for me and that it is also 60mm center to center? Much appreciated.

uNIceV.jpg

Last edited:
A little more drama to my Remus exhaust. As is, it doesn't fit correctly. Basically the center stand doesn't contact the rubber stopper on the underside and hits the bottom of the pipe. See image below. My previous images show how it is mounted now which is too far outboard and actually has the whole thing on an angle outwards.

bFSCWZ.jpg

Of course I'm wondering just how complicated can it be mounting an exhaust system, right? Am I stupid, incapable.......? I was neither, but there was something that wasn't right. So after taking a bunch of images and editing them with text, etc, in Paint 3D, I contact Remus directly asking for help. And I got my answer. It would appear that the system is designed for the later style exhaust rubber mount which came into effect on 09/1985. That's not stated anywhere. My bike is an 03/1985. To mount it correctly I need part #9 which, luckily, is still available. It consists of two parts according to the parts fiche. This will allow the exhaust to sit farther inboard and then the center stand will make contact with the rubber. I believe the rubber mount attaches to the two socket head screws (60mm center to center) where the lower part of the left hand luggage case holder is attached and NOT the location of the original exhaust which is the footpeg bracket. Would someone be able to confirm that for me and that it is also 60mm center to center? Much appreciated.

uNIceV.jpg

This would explain why the rear mounting bracket with the new exhaust only has one hole. :) If I can get enough light in my garage to shoot a photo I will, but it's been pretty dark the last few days.

Just an update with respect to the rubber exhaust mount, item #9. I incorrectly stated that it consists of two parts; it doesn't. It would appear that 18 21 1454981 is superseded by 18 21 1454982 or the reverse. I don't know if they changed the part somehow or just the part number.

Back