• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Stuck Engine R60US

On a separate note, the bolt/nut that runs through the center of the valve cover is missing from this bike, as is the gasket between the cover and cylinder head. Not sure if someone took the cover off to try and free up the engine, but looks like I'll have to track one of these down. Thanks all for the input.

Here are a couple of links you will use often and really come to appreciate I suspect ..

http://www.benchmarkworks.com/

https://www.bmwclassicmotorcycles.com/parts/models/r50-r69s/

Enjoy the build, looks like fun.

Thanks, cwroady, for the links and encouragement! Just receives the Barrington Motor Works guide and have read through the intro and beginning sections. What an amazing resource and a good reminder that this is going to be a marathon, not a sprint.

I’ve had the bike laying on its sides for the past few days, filling the cylinders with Pb blaster, heating with a heat gun, then letting it sit, and then repeating. Right side seems to take about an hour for the oil to drain past the rings, which seems promising to me. Left side, well, that pool of oil has been about the same depth for 24+ hours, so that seems like the one that’ll be more troublesome. I figure I’ll keep on with this process for another week or so and if I don’t see any real progress I’ll begin looking into fabricating the “piston pusher” system outlined in the Barrington manual.

Having been in this kind of mess a number of times, a piece of hardwood against the top of the piston, hit with an air chisel has helped. There is no real “push” but the high speed vibration seems to spread the penetrating fluid and that helps with movement.
OM

Progress/movement...?

Curious to know if there has been any movement or progress on the seized engine situation.....

Let us know,

ECJ

Unfortunately no success yet. It’s been on its side with the left cylinder filled with PB blaster. A few times each day I heat it up until it smokes then smack a block of wood on it. Been doing that for about 10 days on this side and the level of penetrant hasn’t changed at all. Starting to think it might be time to fabricate a pusher tool and try that. I did pick up some atf today so might try soaking in that for awhile first. Thanks for asking and any advice welcome.

Unfortunately no success yet. It’s been on its side with the left cylinder filled with PB blaster. A few times each day I heat it up until it smokes then smack a block of wood on it. Been doing that for about 10 days on this side and the level of penetrant hasn’t changed at all. Starting to think it might be time to fabricate a pusher tool and try that. I did pick up some atf today so might try soaking in that for awhile first. Thanks for asking and any advice welcome.

I understand a mix of atf and acetone works very well.

That's not a good sign

With my first Barn Bike, the R 69S the crank shaft was also frozen solid. I actually had to cut the connecting rods off to get it out of the block. Along with the frozen crank both pistons were very stuck in the bores. I hope this is not the case with your bike. If you do fashion a puller and try too push the pistons in I highly highly recommend you also loosen the four nuts that hold the cylinder and back those nuts off about 4-6 turns. Work on one side at a time and pull the cylinders off the piston instead of trying to rotate the possibly stuck crank shaft and the other possibly stuck piston. I'm far from an expert but I did just tackle two /2 motors with both pistons stuck and the first one also had a frozen solid crank shaft.

Attachments

• turf green 3.JPG
    turf green 3.JPG
    347.9 KB · Views: 34
Back