• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT run/brake trunk tail light

Have you added any lights to your bike? If not you will need a module from some manufacturer that will provide the tail/run light when the brake is not applied. If you have Clearwater/Hex ez Can controller added to your bike they both supply what you need. There are also small modules available you can tuck inside the top box brake light cavity that will work. We need a little more information about the bike what year and model? What country do you live in? What electrical accessories do you have installed on the bike or plan to install?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think it is that complicated. Just find the wire that goes to the motorcycles existing tail light and connect the top case light to it., simple as that. The electronics will handle the extra load, it isn't enough to bother.

I used to have the tail light wire colors but had a computer crash, so no help there. I have a Unigo trailer I pull with my 2018 RT. I put LED bulbs in the trailer and wired it directly to the motorcycles lighting, it works fine.

Here is the wire code:

Blue/Black: Right turn signal
Blue/Red:Left turn signal
Grey/Red: Tail light
Grey Black with Yellow dot: Brake
Brown: Ground

I like guys that recommend a $150 electronic device when all he needs is a 25 cent wiring connector.

If he were adding a bunch of lighting, or asking the lights to do something other than turn on and turn off, fine. Just wire it into the existing tail light!

I don't think it is that complicated. Just find the wire that goes to the motorcycles existing tail light and connect the top case light to it., simple as that. The electronics will handle the extra load, it isn't enough to bother.

I used to have the tail light wire colors but had a computer crash, so no help there. I have a Unigo trailer I pull with my 2018 RT. I put LED bulbs in the trailer and wired it directly to the motorcycles lighting, it works fine.

OK, I'll bite.
No problem finding the bikes tail light wire, but then:
Which top case wire? Brake light, Interior light. The top case has no wire for the taillight wire to connect to??? When connecting the taillight wire to the topcase brake wire and then step on the brake you are essentially creating a short?

It's loud and obnoxious but it does get you noticed and hopefully not run over.

Steve

I am with you on this; 'looks' done wore out its welcome many years ago for me. I am into pragmatic ergonomics and safety. This is what my two RT/s ago looked like.

WhiteRat.jpg

OK, I'll bite.
Which top case wire? Brake light, Interior light. The top case has no wire for the taillight wire to connect to??? When connecting the taillight wire to the topcase brake wire and then step on the brake you are essentially creating a short?

The brake and tail light on your RT are one bulb, it gets a rapid pulse to run half brightness on tail, and gets full 12 volts for brakes. All you need to do is find what color wire feeds the top case tail light, and disconnect it, and reconnect it to the RT's tail light wire. My guess it the wire you are looking for is in the same connector that the top case wiring pugs into, good chance you can de-pin the top case light wire from the connector and move it to another position on the connector. My RT isn't handy so I can't check into it, and I can't do it for you, you need to do some investigation.

I love what you done with the back of that bike...I want mine the same

I love that! Lol, I thought mine was a bit much, I've added about 10 pieces of reflective tape to the sides and back of my RT, but you've outdone me! I've done that ever since I had a tail-light go out on me once, many years ago. I don't care one bit who thinks it's "not cool", no one will ever say "I didn't see him". Kudos to you, sir!

I love that! Lol, I thought mine was a bit much, I've added about 10 pieces of reflective tape to the sides and back of my RT, but you've outdone me! I've done that ever since I had a tail-light go out on me once, many years ago. I don't care one bit who thinks it's "not cool", no one will ever say "I didn't see him". Kudos to you, sir!

I always wear hi-viz gear and try to be seen and safe, it can only help to avoid becoming a soccer mom's hood ornament.

Steve

P1040625.JPG

OK, I'll bite.

further points of interest to converting the trunk light to running light by connecting a switched hot wire to the rear top case connector. Even if this might work there will be a time delay when the bike is turned off for the light to go off. See below. I've therefore concluded to add separate running/brake lights and here are the results:

The trunk connector has NO hot or ignition switched hot wire to the topcase brake light. The wire to activate the brake light is switched by the ECU when you activate the brake and NOT by the ignition. It's the grey and yellow wire. There is one permanent hot wire to the topcase (it's the red/green wire). It powers the trunk light which therefore functions even when everything on the bike is turned off. If you tie an aux running light wire into that the running light will work, but never shut off, even when you turn the bike completely off.
Most of the other potential hot ignition switched wires on the bike are time delayed shut off. Like the power sockets at 28seconds, The seat heater wires at 1 minute, etc.

Here's my solution (working!!) to wire a 32 LED Hyperlights (in my case) brake and running light setup to the rear license plate with the bracket HL provides for 10 bucks. The black ground wire from the HL ties into the brown ground wire on the topcase connector (On the bike side of the connector!!!). The red brake light wire from the HL ties into the grey and yellow brake light wire on the connector. The grey running lights wire on the HL ties into a switched hot wire on the bike, NOT the topcase connector. Remember there is NO hot switched wire there!. I used the rear accessory power receptacle black and red wire. This has an approximate 28 second delay to total shutoff and functions reliably.

I now have the LED brake light in the topcase, the flashing 4 times then solid (CA rules) 32 LED HL brake lights and the taillight LEDs for my brake lights. Together they provide extreme visibility. For running lights again, I have the LEDs from the tail light and the 32 LEDs from the HL. When I turn off the bike the running lights will stay on for app 30 seconds and then turn off.

The entire setup works well for me and as opposed to just some additional running lights I also have 32 additional brake lights.

YMMV

Back