• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How much does your dealer charge for the 36K service?

wynnd

I'm taking my 97 R1100RT into the BMW dealer for basically the 36K service without engine oil change or spark plugs. (Did the oil change and already have the spark plugs.) Honestly none of this is outside of my mechanical abilities, but it's cold and I'm old and less inclined to do my own maintenance anymore. (And I can afford to FINALLY.) Just wondering how this dealership compares to others. I'm getting the transmission oil changed, the rear end oil changed, valve adjustment, throttle sync and alternator belt changed out. I think they are charging to change out the valve cover gaskets. (Otherwise, why are parts even in that service.) the throttle body sync looks to be more than an hour's labor. (Shouldn't it be 20 minutes with the plastic already removed?) I actually think this particular shop is probably fairly reasonable about what they charge and it's looking like about $600 total. (In the 70s, I worked parts at two different motorcycle shops.)

So what are you seeing for similar service where you are?

I don't know...can't help you. From what I have seen/experienced, if a cover is removed at a dealership, they want to change the oil. Maybe in case of- something being inadvertently ingested with the cover off....maybe 'cuz a cover was off and they are trying to avoid the "it wasn't leaking when I brought it in" kinda deal.
You may want to check with the dealer/shop you are going to bring it to.
OM

As already mentioned, including parts and fluids this sounds about right. You'll find that dealers like to change any gaskets which get removed in the course of a service. Saves them from having to later explain why your valve cover is leaking.

As in all things, some dealers will be cheaper and some will be more expensive.

Don't mind spending money

Just want to get a good value for it. I think this dealer seems reasonable.

Our local shop estimates $600 - $700 for a similar job plus oil/filter and plugs on a R1200GS liquid cooled. You say it includes valve adjustment. Are you certain the price quoted is not just for checking valve clearances? In my experience dealers quote for a check, with adjustments being an additional cost. If I am correct, then an adjustment could add another $100+.

Back