• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Metzler Lasertec 4.00 - 18 M/C 64V TL out of stock everywhere?

ebeeby

Went online to order another rear tire for 1973 R75/5 - it appears out of stock everywhere?
Anyone know of a good online supplier ?

Eric

I checked our big tire supplier up in this part of the world, and that size is out of stock up here as well. Maybe check the tire manufacturer's site for info. Covid has caused shortages in a lot of parts etc.

I tried submitting an inquiry at the Metzeler site. No joy as the grey circle of death spun endlessly.

Any recommended alternatives to go with the existing Metzeler front tire?

One of the threads in the Similar Threads pane below has some discussion about Lasertec vs Michelin. Probably worth a read. Years ago, I used to be concerned about mismatched manufacturers front/rear but I don't think that's really that big of a concern.

Thanks Kurt. Looks like the Michelin is a good way to go. Most sellers have it at about $150.

You wouldn't happen to know the part number on the 18" Michelin tube? The box numbers I am seeing on the internet are all metric and don't specifically say 4.00-18

Can't say as I've ever specifically bought a Michelin tube. I think they come in a range of sizes...I was never that specific about what tube I ran...seems like I would get a 100/90-18 or 110/90-18 tube.

Since there is so little industrial capacity left in the USA, pretty much all motorcycle tires sold here are imported.

It is therefore a heavy financial consideration for an importer to stock these tires, and they do so depending on perceived demand ... which for 4.00X18 and 3.25X19 is pretty small.

Those intending to maintain BMW Airheads should resign themselves to the fact they are in the "vintage" market now and should maybe expect to have to import tires themselves.

Last I checked--which has been a while--UK sources like Motobins sold Airhead size tires, some even tube type, which are preferable as far as ease of mounting is concerned.

I once imported Conti TKC80 in 3.00x21 and 4.00x18 for my R80G/S, sizes never available from USA importers.

I'd offer that Airhead ownership is now a labor of love and is not a cheap/easy motorcycling solution. Effort required. A little more expensive, too. (There are K-bike and Oilhead sizes that are now hard to find in USA, too.)

It's not that difficult to search UK or German websites to learn which tires are still in production. .de to replace .com will get many German sites. .co.uk will get UK sites. Note that in Germany at least, it's illegal to fit anything but manufacturer spec parts, so 3.25x19 and 4.00X18 will still be available. There are no metric equivalents.

Michelin Pilot Avtiv's

I've ran Michelin Pilot Activ tires on my 1979 R80/7 for the last few years, and am just about to change them after close to 10K miles. The rear is shot and should have been changed a little sooner, but the front tread is still good. I now live off of 5 miles of dirt road (and see more dirt in general), and so am replacing them this round with a set of Continental TKC70's. But for road use, the Pilot Avtiv's performed very well for me, and they seem to generally be in stock, in stock airhead sizes (as opposed to the close metric equivalents):

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-pilot-activ-tire?rrec=true&sku_id=514848

Good luck,

ECJ

Note that in Germany at least, it's illegal to fit anything but manufacturer spec parts.......

As an aside, when I went to buy 4 new tires from a local multi-location tire store, it was the same thing. I told them that I was the original owner and while I didn't consider the "stock", "OEM" tires anything great.......they were satisfactory and I wanted to put the same tire(s) back on.
I received a big "hold your horses there sonny". "We can't put anything on that wasn't spec for the truck when it was new". Apparently they had to file for a time slot on the secretly located Cray computer to "run the possibles".
I got the tires which required a couple of return trips :hungover I'm going to pass on that experience on the next set.
OM

I've ran Michelin Pilot Activ tires on my 1979 R80/7 for the last few years, and am just about to change them after close to 10K miles. The rear is shot and should have been changed a little sooner, but the front tread is still good. I now live off of 5 miles of dirt road (and see more dirt in general), and so am replacing them this round with a set of Continental TKC70's. But for road use, the Pilot Avtiv's performed very well for me, and they seem to generally be in stock, in stock airhead sizes (as opposed to the close metric equivalents):

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-pilot-activ-tire?rrec=true&sku_id=514848

Good luck,

ECJ

Thanks for the link. I guess I get to try the Michelin....

Well, Matt P has weighed in on tires:

" My favourites are the Bridgestone Spitfires (SS11). Decent holding, good mileage and reasonably easy to mount and dismount (even on the roadside since I get my share of flats - last one outside of Sparta when we were in Greece). I also like the original Continentals, the RB2 & K112. They were originally came on many airheads.
Matt"

Any other comments on the Spitfires?

... Any other comments on the Spitfires?

I have one one the back on the K75; it's worn at about the same rate as any other tires (Metzeler, Avon, Conti) that I've run on my bikes. Seems to handle fine (I have it paired to a slightly older Metzeler on the front... long story). I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, although I've become fairly partial to the Avon Roadriders myself, which is what I have been running on both airheads.

Since there is so little industrial capacity left in the USA, pretty much all motorcycle tires sold here are imported.

It is therefore a heavy financial consideration for an importer to stock these tires, and they do so depending on perceived demand ... which for 4.00X18 and 3.25X19 is pretty small.

Those intending to maintain BMW Airheads should resign themselves to the fact they are in the "vintage" market now and should maybe expect to have to import tires themselves.

Last I checked--which has been a while--UK sources like Motobins sold Airhead size tires, some even tube type, which are preferable as far as ease of mounting is concerned.

I once imported Conti TKC80 in 3.00x21 and 4.00x18 for my R80G/S, sizes never available from USA importers.

I'd offer that Airhead ownership is now a labor of love and is not a cheap/easy motorcycling solution. Effort required. A little more expensive, too. (There are K-bike and Oilhead sizes that are now hard to find in USA, too.)

It's not that difficult to search UK or German websites to learn which tires are still in production. .de to replace .com will get many German sites. .co.uk will get UK sites. Note that in Germany at least, it's illegal to fit anything but manufacturer spec parts, so 3.25x19 and 4.00X18 will still be available. There are no metric equivalents.

Do you know if the Metzeler 120/90 is the same as a 4.00/18? Motobins stocks the 120/90 and lists it under the R75....

A 120/90 tire is not the same as a 4.00x18 tire. The width is theoretically 120mm or 4.7 inches. More than likely that's too wide to fit easily between the sides of the swingarm. There is a spacer that can be added to the bearing stack to move the tire over a bit to help clear. Seems like a long way to go IMO. Even a 110/90 is going to be 4.33 inches wide. These widths are just for reference. There's the possibility that the actual tire is not that wide...or worse, it's wider.

Back