• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Facebook Declared War on Apple

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
I'm not a fan of FB, as many may have seen in my posts. This may be coming to a head-

Facebook Declared War on Apple, and It Just May Signal the End of Facebook. The company has been heading toward a major crash for a long time.

Pretty interesting article from INC Magazine-

https://www.inc.com/justin-bariso/f...apple-it-just-may-signal-end-of-facebook.html

Apparently there has been a battle brewing for some time. Not sure how this will shack out for the users of FB.

OM

it won't bother me a bit. I have a FB page, but Zuckerberg is not making much, if any money from me. I post virtually nothing, and log in maybe once every couple months. I have considered deleting my FB account.

I'm no fan of the cesspool that is Facebook (deleted my account awhile ago) nor the Cult of Apple. But, given the choice, I'll take Apple every time - Zuckerberg can go hell. He's probably destined for there anyway. :laugh

Deleted my account the second time, and the last time, earlier this year. Actually, deleted all forms of social media, this forum is the last bastion of communication with the outside world I have... and, there are moments when the forums too, becomes unbearable.

I recall hearing that Elon Musk once tried to get Apple to buy into Tesla and Tim Cook refused to meet with him. Wonder if he still thinks that was a wise move.

As long as Facebook and other social media have protection from liability for the content generated by users under Section 230 of the 1996 Communications Decency Act, they will have unwarranted power over manipulating public opinion. They can manipulate content, they can pick and choose which content will appear, they can charge for some content to get preferential treatment but they cannot be held to account for the content on their platforms.

Interesting indeed.
Billionaire businessman with psychopathic tendencies finds his business practices and ethics challenged by a more ethical player and runs for his lawyers, claiming that the competitor will destroy everything. Rinse and repeat. It’s become an exceptionally American way of doing business.

Suck it up, Zuckerberg
:rolleyes

DeVern

I recall hearing that Elon Musk once tried to get Apple to buy into Tesla and Tim Cook refused to meet with him. Wonder if he still thinks that was a wise move.

As long as Facebook and other social media have protection from liability for the content generated by users under Section 230 of the 1996 Communications Decency Act, they will have unwarranted power over manipulating public opinion. They can manipulate content, they can pick and choose which content will appear, they can charge for some content to get preferential treatment but they cannot be held to account for the content on their platforms.

Au Contraire! As soon as the platform is potentially liable for anything posted, every post will be moderated and if there is any arguability about truth or liability they simply won't post it on the platform. Then instead of labeling a person's posts as "disputed" or " not true" they simply won't let those posts appear. As normal there are unintended consequences and be careful what you wish for.

Anyone consider this might just be a big smoke screen for something to come?

Just wait, Apple will buy Facebook for pennies on the dollar. Both parties will be become even more wealthy after the dust settles!

Anyone consider this might just be a big smoke screen for something to come?

Just wait, Apple will buy Facebook for pennies on the dollar. Both parties will be become even more wealthy after the dust settles!

Ask for a copy of the information Facebook has compiled and sold on you/your account. In the “no such thing as a free lunch” department, people should wonder about the connection between the user and the “free” service.
OM

Ask for a copy of the information Facebook has compiled and sold on you/your account. In the “no such thing as a free lunch” department, people should wonder about the connection between the user and the “free” service.
OM

It isn't just Facebook. Often I will use Google or maybe Yahoo to do an internet search and will look at something, and then similar ads show up. Yesterday it was a Chulex one-cup coffee maker (like a Keurig). Within 2 hours I was on the MSNBC News site getting coffee maker ads.

Since it seems they compile my wishes sometimes of I am a bit bored I will do searches for stuff I have absolutely no interest in. Construction cranes, outboard motors, winter underwear, farm implements, etc. just to add to their compiled view of my interests. When we had little kids my motto was "always keep them guessing."

It isn't just Facebook. Often I will use Google or maybe Yahoo to do an internet search and will look at something, and then similar ads show up. Yesterday it was a Chulex one-cup coffee maker (like a Keurig). Within 2 hours I was on the MSNBC News site getting coffee maker ads.

Since it seems they compile my wishes sometimes of I am a bit bored I will do searches for stuff I have absolutely no interest in. Construction cranes, outboard motors, winter underwear, farm implements, etc. just to add to their compiled view of my interests. When we had little kids my motto was "always keep them guessing."

Of course Paul, but how much personal information do you put forth when you search for an outboard motor? Facebook’s tentacles extend through the conversations and exchanges you have with Facebook friends.
Apple has private search features (probably not to Apple- completely) so it’s a help.
None of this really matters as long as is a user is aware of the goings on.
OM

Au Contraire! As soon as the platform is potentially liable for anything posted, every post will be moderated and if there is any arguability about truth or liability they simply won't post it on the platform. Then instead of labeling a person's posts as "disputed" or " not true" they simply won't let those posts appear. As normal there are unintended consequences and be careful what you wish for.

You do not really believe Facebook does not already heavily moderate posts, do you? I would be okay if Facebook had no more or no less liability than a news outlet. Additionally, I believe they, and their peers, should be prohibited from gathering, storing or selling any personal information, unless specifically authorized by the user.

OM

I have no question that FB is monitoring my activity and selling it off. I just wonder about the battle between FB and Apple, it there isn't more behind it that only the people in power know about.

it wouldn't be the first time the general public was manipulated by a large corporation.

I have to admit, I am a bit of a conspiracy theorist!

I have no question that FB is monitoring my activity and selling it off. I just wonder about the battle between FB and Apple, it there isn't more behind it that only the people in power know about.

it wouldn't be the first time the general public was manipulated by a large corporation.

I have to admit, I am a bit of a conspiracy theorist!

Or the thousandth time. When you are in the room when “they” are conspiring, it’s conspiracy fact, not theory.

One of the several reasons I don't have a facebook page. I guess I need some more Herd Mentality....

E.

Back