• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

94 K75 started missing but runs

bakio98

Only 32,000 miles. It just started farting and missing. First thing was to change the fuel filter but no change. It seems to run a bit better when cold but half way around the block it starts. Plugs are light brown and look good with proper gap. Ideas?

First thing I would look for is a vacuum leak.

#1 suspect is the crankcase vent hose. (1/2" dia. Z shaped hose just aft of the coils).

Check the 2 vacuum caps on the front two throttle bodies.

Check the vacuum hose that goes from the rear throttle body to the fuel pressure regulator.

Check that the nipple coming out of the middle of the front of the block, just below the fan just to the rear of the timing cover either has a hose or a cap on it.

You haven't messed with your air filter box lately, have you? It is possible to not fully connect or tear the boot between the upper air filter box and the plenum.

Is this a fairly new to you bike or have you had it running well for a long time and this is new behavior? Is the bike garaged? What area of the country do you live in? What plugs are you running? How old? How old is the fuel?

In reading your prior posts, what have you done since April when this problem started?

Get back to us with the results of the above and we can go from there.

:dance:dance:dance

Hard to say what it is. One thing I've read about is that sometimes the ignition switch can cause problems. They can be cleaned apparently. Also check the electrical plug that goes to the gas tank, that runs the fuel pump & the gas gauge. They are known to cause the odd issue. You can get to it by removing the right side panel and it is a 4 connector plug located up by the y in the frame, towards the gas tank. You got all the elements of combustion, something is just intermittently cutting out. It does sound like a bad connection. Could even be a bad ground so check the battery. If it started after you did something on the bike, recheck your work. Not that uncommon for us to screw things up.

K75

Hard to say what it is. One thing I've read about is that sometimes the ignition switch can cause problems. They can be cleaned apparently. Also check the electrical plug that goes to the gas tank, that runs the fuel pump & the gas gauge. They are known to cause the odd issue. You can get to it by removing the right side panel and it is a 4 connector plug located up by the y in the frame, towards the gas tank. You got all the elements of combustion, something is just intermittently cutting out. It does sound like a bad connection. Could even be a bad ground so check the battery. If it started after you did something on the bike, recheck your work. Not that uncommon for us to screw things up.

I had problems months ago with the starter relay. I had to trailer it to Tucson and the ignition switch was a problem. Nothing else done to the bike. Will try the connector. Tks.

K75

#1 suspect is the crankcase vent hose. (1/2" dia. Z shaped hose just aft of the coils).

Check the 2 vacuum caps on the front two throttle bodies.

Check the vacuum hose that goes from the rear throttle body to the fuel pressure regulator.

Check that the nipple coming out of the middle of the front of the block, just below the fan just to the rear of the timing cover either has a hose or a cap on it.

You haven't messed with your air filter box lately, have you? It is possible to not fully connect or tear the boot between the upper air filter box and the plenum.

Is this a fairly new to you bike or have you had it running well for a long time and this is new behavior? Is the bike garaged? What area of the country do you live in? What plugs are you running? How old? How old is the fuel?

In reading your prior posts, what have you done since April when this problem started?

Get back to us with the results of the above and we can go from there.

This is new behavior after a problem with the starter relay and ignition switch. I did a 10 day trip around the Baja 2 years ago and all good. I live in Mexico - very hot and humid in summer (and very busy) so no riding. Bike is garaged. Fuel drained and new filter installed. No messing with the air filter. Got some time over holidays and will check things. Tks

Found the problem

This is new behavior after a problem with the starter relay and ignition switch. I did a 10 day trip around the Baja 2 years ago and all good. I live in Mexico - very hot and humid in summer (and very busy) so no riding. Bike is garaged. Fuel drained and new filter installed. No messing with the air filter. Got some time over holidays and will check things. Tks

At the very front of the throttle body there is a protrusion that is not on any schematics. We took off the circlip and found a damaged small seal about the diameter of 1/3 of a dime. There is no part number so I replaced it with an"O" ring from my box. Problem solved.

There is a joke about the sign that strikes fear into a Harley rider . . . . City Limits. I'm starting to feel that way about the K75 with only 30,000 miles

That's the end of the throttle shaft.

That's the first time I've heard of that failing, but after 35 years, rubber does have a habit of going bad. I'll have to add that to my list of places to check. This is something that used to go bad on old worn car carburetors.

Thanks for getting back with the results.

How long have you owned the bike?

Back