• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What's the Weather like where you are today?

When I worked at the University of Alaska Fairbanks I sometimes taught a class on cold weather survival and injury prevention. I wasn’t always successful.....

4450-E5-AD-B10-E-46-B9-BA76-C32-E0-FE06958.jpg

According to my calculations, that is -49F!

That is cold.

Harry

Military Mountaineering Instructors Course... in Black Rapids, January 1990; where the Army sent me 48 hours after fighting in the jungles of Panama during Operation Just Cause. Needless to say, I was clearly not as acclimated as your students.

I took the Air Force version of that. Our graduation exercise was supposed to be digging an ice cave and spending the night in it. Typically, the high during February in the interior of Alaska is around zero with lows in the -20s. It was sunny and in the 20s above while we were digging our caves. Everyone was getting wet and the caves were unstable. Got to sleep in a warm bed that night.

When I worked at the University of Alaska Fairbanks I sometimes taught a class on cold weather survival and injury prevention. I wasn’t always successful.....

4450-E5-AD-B10-E-46-B9-BA76-C32-E0-FE06958.jpg

I didn't notice when I was there. Is it common to use Celsius in Alaska?

I didn't notice when I was there. Is it common to use Celsius in Alaska?

Its common in the civilized world. :stick

:)

And what's with wearing shoes? I thought those students were trying to make a point? :laugh

Not common at all, Lee. The University sign alternated between Fahrenheit and Celsius. Probably a nod to all the Canadian kids on our hockey team. When they played the Anchorage team it was basically, “Our Canadians can beat your Canadians!!!” As to the shoes; sometimes pain overcomes youthful enthusiasm. There was a student on campus who never wore shoes. Smart guy too. He was a 4.0 engineer major who graduated in 4 years. I always wondered about how his job interviews went. Raised in Alaska and never wore shoes, even at temperatures down in the -40s. His feet looked life Bilbo Baggins’. Never claimed Alaskans are civilized.

Never claimed Alaskans are civilized.

Once when I was stationed up there at Eielson AFB I was in the town of North Pole in the morning before work... not exactly sure why... and heard a motorcycle coming. I knew that it was at least -20F that morning and was surprised to see one of the civilian base employees riding by on his K75. Several months later he was one of the students in the base MSF Class I was teaching and I asked him about it. He laughed and said it had been a little colder that morning than he originally thought but that it hadn't been all that bad a ride... until he got to work and discovered he hadn't pulled his pants leg down over his boot and had a one inch gap between the boot top and his pants leg. I tell ya, that strip of frostbite he had looked awful, even months later!

low 30's with sunshine and no wind,

****ty on the horizon though, Snow and Wind tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday morning.

We hit 28F today in northern Vermont, which is t-shirt weather. The next few days will be a more seasonally acceptable single digits above zero. February is usually our subzero time of the year

We got a foot, foot and a half of snow 2 nights ago. I put the last bike in the basement not figuring I’d get a run as it won’t start at less than 3°C
i-73Sw3NP-XL.jpg

Ohio. a unpredicted overnight snow that cleared to allow the moonlight to shine on all the woodland beauty. Listening to the blower motors on the heating units.
Hardly the noise I want to hear....may have to go to the shop for a fix of Beemer music! Rode most of the winter last year.

74F and overcast this AM as there is a 'cold front' on the way. It is the same one that produced a tornado in Tallahassee something I can live without after having lived in Indiana..

Back