• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1200GS: On the fence to sell or store for 5 years

Hello - I am a new member, and I'm happy to have joined this group. I have a 2010 1200GS and a dilemma. I am moving to S. America for ~5 years and I'm trying to decide whether to sell or store my GS. The bike has ~15K miles and runs great. When we return to the U.S., I will be fully retired and plan to do some trans-U.S. touring. My wife has not (yet) committed to touring with me on the motorcycle, mainly because she finds the GS uncomfortable as a passenger. One potential hassle is that our storage facility requires the the motorcycle be registered annually, and the state requires an annual inspection to register, which would not be practical; but I'm still seeking a solution. Although I hate to part with this motorcycle, I keep thinking that there will be other equally appealing new or used motorcycles on the market in 2025, including ones that should be better suited for touring with my wife. Moreover, I know someone else would enjoy this moto if I do sell.

I appreciate any insights to making this decision to sell or to store the 1200GS for 5 years.

Sell it. Have a going away party with the proceeds (socially correct, of course!). On your return buy a new 2026 RT1xxx for the two up touring and enjoy

Welcome to the forum!
If you want to keep it, let one of your friends run it while you are away. The wear and tear of the running shouldn’t be much different than it sitting for the years.
OM

Thank you all!!

WOW - thank you all for weighing in with your comments! Your insights were very helpful to push me over the fence to sell the GS! For those of you who suggested taking it with us to S.A. (Brazil), I thought about that early on, but I was also not aware of extra costs and restrictions beyond shipping down. (I once had an adventurous plan to ride down, but axed that plan for various reasons). Moreover, we lived in Brazil for 7 months of 2019-2020, which was fantastic by the way, but even being on moderately busy roads in a car feels dangerous sometimes due to a few very aggressive drivers. I like the idea of someone else enjoying this fine motorcycle during the next 5 years, and my being able to choose another moto in 5 years depending on what we feel like doing. I'm glad I joined this community! Ate mais!

For those of you who suggested taking it with us to S.A. (Brazil), I thought about that early on, but I was also not aware of extra costs and restrictions beyond shipping down...

A guy from Ohio just shipped a bike to the U.S. from Brazil and the required documentation was stupefyingly complex.

He's got a long trip report on ADVrider and his user name is Ohio_Danimal. It's a great read.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/cycle-south-2020-part-four-down-in-denver.1296625/

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this thread. Ohio-Danimal's well-planned adventure sounds exciting!

It's quite an interesting read, with an illness that almost killed him, forcing him to abort his trip and return to the U.S. for a period. Then, after resuming the trip he got stuck in Brazil during the pandemic lockdown, ultimately resulting in shipping his bike back to the U.S. There's more...but I won't give away any more of the story. ;)

Sell it. If she doesn't want to ride on it now, she will even less in five years. Both storage and taking it with you are PITA, expensive propositions. Divest yourself of all that is unnecessary. Motorcycles will be available upon your return. IF you return.

Bon voyage!

Back