• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How much beer should I get for my friend who did a lot of work on my 2003 K1200GT

markfreebie

One of the guys I ride with was looking for stuff to do this off-season. He's super handy, detail-oriented, has every tool you can imagine, so I dropped off my 120,000 mile 2003 K1200GT for some work. He only wants beer as payment. I paid for all those parts deliveries from Bob's BMW, Beemer boneyard, etc.

1 -- installed new front tire
2-- valve adjustments, new plugs, cam followers, gasket seal, etc.
3 -- replaced starboard side radiator, new coolant
4 -- new brake fluid
5 -- replace final drive fluid
6 -- oil & filter change
7 -- headlight conversion to LED
8 -- replaced PIAA dichroic auxiliary lights (bulbs not made anymore) with LED lights

I know the labor charge from my well-liked dealer would be some serious change.

He enjoys unusual craft and artisanal beers. I did a $150 beer pre-payment.

Depending on how much time the lighting stuff required, you'd want to put about $750 on credit for him at the Unusual And Artisanal Beer Store to make him whole at commercial rates.

But, a friend/hobbiest/amature mechanic should expect less than half the compensation that the dealers get, unless previously agreed to. That's kinda the whole point to not having the dealer do it. The overhead that needs to be accounted for between an amature and a dealership accounts for a huge part of the labor rate difference.

The better the friend, the lower the direct payment, but the higher future "payback" credits.

:dance:dance:dance

How many hours of labor? What would it cost at a dealer? Take that number and figure 50-60% and get him a gift card, then he can buy what he wants.

Years ago I used to do a lot of repairs in my shop to make ends meet. I had a guy worked with call me up and ask if I would replace the brakes in his car, he offered to bring a case of beer. I told him to skip the beer and I charged $25 and hour for labor, so figure 2-3 hours unless there was something really wrong, and I would buy my own beer. After all I wasn't working on other peoples stuff just because it was fun! (Plus a case of beer will last me a whole summer!) It seemed like he got offended and figured we were good enough friends that I would do it for beer. He never showed up. I was kind of offended that I guy I never hanged with figured I would fix his car for 1/2 of a case of beer! (Knowing the guy he would have showed up with one case, and sat there and drank his share while I worked!)

I’m thinking this was a rhetorical question.
Nice you and friend got the bike back to where you will be ready to ride.
OM

I would search out the best beers you can find. See if you can get your hands on some of the top rated hard to get items. Heady Topper and Pliny the Younger come to mind. Find out what styles he likes best and see what you can find. Search out the best real Belgian Gueuze you can find too for a bit of fun and the historical predecessors to the modern craft sour beers. Get some high zoot high alcohol ones he can put down in his cellar too. The high end stuff will definitely set you back. If you were felling really flush you could try to find him a bottle of Sam Adams Utopias which is pretty rare and hard to find and sells for something like $200 a bottle. Have fun, feel free to PM me if you have more questions. As you might have guessed I'm a beer guy. :ha

thanks for the shopping tips

I would search out the best beers you can find. See if you can get your hands on some of the top rated hard to get items. Heady Topper and Pliny the Younger come to mind. Find out what styles he likes best and see what you can find. Search out the best real Belgian Gueuze you can find too for a bit of fun and the historical predecessors to the modern craft sour beers. Get some high zoot high alcohol ones he can put down in his cellar too. The high end stuff will definitely set you back. If you were felling really flush you could try to find him a bottle of Sam Adams Utopias which is pretty rare and hard to find and sells for something like $200 a bottle. Have fun, feel free to PM me if you have more questions. As you might have guessed I'm a beer guy. :ha

Thanks for the beer suggestions. My palate isn't nearly as sophisticated as yours or his. I'm more of a high-end "lawnmower beer" kinda a guy. On the initial "downpayment" I went through a large store with a salesperson and went for variety. He likes discovering new beers, even if he won't be a big fan.

He says, "Barleywine is my favorite style, especially when aged in some sort of wood. They're hard to find though. I used to make one that I really really liked, but it took two years of aging before it was drinkable."

Where are you in the country? I might be able to suggest breweries to look at. Related styles would be Imperial Russian stouts and Belgian strong dark ales. The RIS are very often aged in barrels too.

If you were closer I'd give you some of this to give him. Yeah that's me on the bottle.:ha
i-skHVpLb-XL.jpg

Rave reviews

Where are you in the country? I might be able to suggest breweries to look at. Related styles would be Imperial Russian stouts and Belgian strong dark ales. The RIS are very often aged in barrels too.

If you were closer I'd give you some of this to give him. Yeah that's me on the bottle.:ha
i-skHVpLb-XL.jpg

Maybe my friend should become a Newfie. He emigrated from Norway to the US. I live near Milwaukee.

About 10 years ago I met lots of Newfies when I was working on a story on the oil sands in Fort McMurray, Alberta. They were great folks.

You have to be careful with your final decision. One problem with doing this kind of thing is that it is very easy to piss off the other person. If the person you describe does this type of thing for others in your group and the long standing practise has been the beer payment, then your are on pretty good ground. If not and this is a one off, then you want to error on the oversupply. Seeing as you've already given him the $ 150 of beer, just say something like " I need to straighten our beer thing up and was wondering if you had any preference on brand etc as I'm going to buy more beer". His response should give you an idea of how much if any. If he hums & haws and says he doesn't want anymore, go and buy another 24 of what he likes and call it a day. If he kind of beets around the bush, you know he wants more, so then you'll have to increase the amount. No matter which way the conversation goes, buy him some beer.

Friendships can be fragile. I know I have worked on many bikes over the years, and never expect anything in return. But in most situations I'm dealing with a sincere individual who helps where he can or is one of those that just doesn't have any mechanical ability. If really just boils down to the attitude of the owner. If I get a bad vibe from the owner or it is something beyond my ability ( some of the newer bikes ), then I just pass.

All the ships are tough to sail-
Friendships
Partnerships
Relationships
Frequently taking a lot of room in the engine room and at the rudder.
OM

Tons of Newfoundlanders in Fort Mac. A lot of really good beer in Wisconsin. New Glarus does some great stuff and Jolly Pumpkin is not far off either.

All the ships are tough to sail-
Friendships
Partnerships
Relationships
Frequently taking a lot of room in the engine room and at the rudder.
OM

I have a good friend that is a bit of a control freak and terribly OCD, but I love him to death. He was an officer for a fairly large company so he is used to giving out orders more than taking them. He comes over and helps me with projects and I have to give him hell and remind him that he isn't in charge and to go do what I want him to do. When we do projects at his place than I back down and follow orders. Our wives laugh when we work together because of how the hierarchy changes depending on what is going on and me barking out orders to a guy that isn't used to it.

More than ever, I feel-
Someone needs to be in charge. I favor the one with the best (for the whole) idea.
Someone has to be the Adult.
OM

Back